Newbie New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in.

ericks

Default Re: New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in.

Mac...just to clarify, i am not saying your method is wrong

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    OK you almost have it correct, what you have used for the Ground Bus is incorrect you have used an isolated terminal Block, this need to be a solid metal Bus mounted to that plate

And ( 1 ) Ground wire from the Bus to the Machine Chassis, no looping of a solid coper wire Just use the same stranded wire you used for the rest

That's quite bad what you have done with the Isolated Terminal Block
    Yeah it's not pretty, I know. I looked for a real ground block or bus bar like in your photo, but you cannot find these in Windsor Ontario to save your life. It's ridiculous. That terminal block was the only thing I could find. You also can't get glass block mortar, or Douglas Fir lumber here either, even though most of it comes from BC. Apparently it all goes to the States. Good thing we're close to the border.
    We're going to Michigan today so I'll have a look over there, if what I have made with the terminal block is so bad.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neowalla View Post
    Yeah it's not pretty, I know. I looked for a real ground block or bus bar like in your photo, but you cannot find these in Windsor Ontario to save your life. It's ridiculous. .
    You need to find a local Electrical distributor that reps one of the large terminal companies and maybe supplies to any of the enclosure builders.
    In a pinch, I have made my own Star ground plate from a piece of copper plate and drilled and tapped as necessary. to accommodate crimp-on terminals
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    I just took this pic when i walked past on of our robot control panels....it's full drives etc $1000 000 + machine

I do mine the same....this is not house wiring mate

What you said about the loops i agree with

New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-earthing1-jpg
    What you are showing in this photo is the same as what I said for him to do

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Why is it bad??
    You are an electrician and can't see what is wrong with it, or did you post without even looking at it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neowalla View Post
    Yeah it's not pretty, I know. I looked for a real ground block or bus bar like in your photo, but you cannot find these in Windsor Ontario to save your life. It's ridiculous. That terminal block was the only thing I could find. You also can't get glass block mortar, or Douglas Fir lumber here either, even though most of it comes from BC. Apparently it all goes to the States. Good thing we're close to the border.
    We're going to Michigan today so I'll have a look over there, if what I have made with the terminal block is so bad.
    Yes it is bad you should never have an Isolated Ground terminal block like that, the metal plate is the Ground Plane, so if you mount something like this it needs to be metal to metal for a Ground, it does not have to be a Bus bar it can be a simple stud just like the Chassis Ground mounting point, they can be all mounted at that same point if you can't find a simple Bus

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I picked up a proper ground bus bar today at Menards and will install it tomorrow. I'll post a picture when I'm done. Hope this helps the next guy.

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You are an electrician and can't see what is wrong with it, or did you post without even looking at it
    Nothing wrong with mounting an earth bar that has stand-off's...even if they insulated.... As long as you bond all conductive parts to earth you good. And no the back plate does not have to become a kind of earth plate. We use many powder coated back plates too. You need to educate yourself at a proper google site re earthing/bonding. That pic i posted shows them not using the back plate as an "earth" plate...

This pic is my 100% approved and legal switch board. Note that everything is plastic....so technically the earth bar is insulated. No problem....cause all metal parts that could become live in a fault condition will be bonded to earth/earth bar. I also have to consider earth impedance etc. You have a way of saying things are wrong and should not be done...when actually you could rather say that there might be a better way...

Now i have had enough of your nonsense!!! i will no longer be posting anything on this thread

New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-ans-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-ans-jpg  
    Last edited by ericks; 06-08-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nothing wrong with mounting an earth bar that has stand-off's...even if they insulated.... As long as you bond all conductive parts to earth you good. And no the back plate does not have to become a kind of earth plate. We use many powder coated back plates too. You need to educate yourself at a proper google site re earthing/bonding. That pic i posted shows them not using the back plate as an "earth" plate...

This pic is my 100% approved and legal switch board. Note that everything is plastic....so technically the earth bar is insulated. No problem....cause all metal parts that could become live in a fault condition will be bonded to earth/earth bar. I also have to consider earth impedance etc. You have a way of saying things are wrong and should not be done...when actually you could rather say that there might be a better way...

Now i have had enough of your nonsense!!! i will no longer be posting anything on this thread

You got it wrong again, the photo you just posted each terminal in not isolated like he was using

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ericks, Nothing wrong with what you posted. The Ground buss bar needs to be connected to the common service ground, the enclosure can be grounded in several ways by a screw passing through ground buss to the panel or non spliced jumper wire connected to the enclosure.

Mactec54 is correct however, the insulated ground block the OP pictured should not be using the cut and jumpered and crimped solid wire connectors. A single wire not cut but looped under those bottom terminals would be correct and legal.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 06-20-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123