Newbie New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in.

Hello all,
    I have just purchased and received a new cnc from jinan omni in china. After looking over the cnc I found that it does not have a plug attached, so I can plug it in to my 220v. I have received some photos from omni showing how they have 220v hooked up to the terminals inside the control cabinet. after reviewing them, I am a bit confused. They have two hot wires no ground. I only know of a 3 prong plug for 220v here in the states. I have included the photos of their hook up, along with how I hooked up the 220v to my cabinet. Is the way I hooked up the 220v correct? New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-dsc_0339-jpg
    New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-dsc_0345-jpg

This is how I hooked mine up.

New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-photo_1-jpg
    New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-photo_2-jpg

I was told the way I have it set up it will create static on the control cabinet when running.

Please help!

Regards Zach

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess by now I should not be surprised at some of the electrical items coming out of China!
    The ground wire should be connected to the enclosure, normally a ground lug is fitted next to the service entry point.
    http://www.automation.siemens.com/do.../emv_r.pdf?p=1
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Al,
    Thank you for your response. I do not see a place to attach the ground wire to the cabinet, should i just use a self tapping screw and put it through the cabinet and attach to that? Other than that is my wiring correct?

thanks,
    Zach

Downloads
    Uploads

At the very least, that's what i would do.
    But you would normally have several ground connections from different parts of the machine which should also come back to a central ground plate?
    Where are the motor frame grounds, shields etc?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont know completely new to this. This is a picture of the inside of the cabinet. New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-photo-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess it is too much to hope for they supplied you with a schematic?
    If they did, post it.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Al,
    I was able to get it up and running the manufacturer told me to do as you said. I grounded to a screw already inside the cabinet so I didn't have to make any holes. For all of those that find this thread, to hook up 220v ( 2 hot 110v legs with 1 ground, what we have in the U.S.) to 220v euro (1 hot and a neutral) connect one leg of 110v to the 220v hot and the other 110v to the neutral, then green to ground.

I have another wiring issue that I need to make sure that I am wiring correctly, the vacuum pump. I have enclosed pictures of the terminals and wiring diagram under the lid of the box.
    New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-photo_3-jpg
    New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-photo_2-2-jpg
    New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-photo_1-2-jpg
    From what I understand, the top terminals are 3 legs as the vacuum pump is 220v 3 phase. on the opposite side two terminals have wires leading to the capacitor 1brown one blue.

If I am correct, what I need to do in order to connect my 220v wire and plug, is connect black(hot) to open terminal on the bottom right. Connect white(hot) to the terminal just to the left of the empty one (the one with the blue wire already attached). Then green to ground. Is this correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

The motor diagram does not appear to be 220 3 phase, rather 1ph 220.
    The motor looks like a 1ph split phase motor, hence the Capacitor.
    The connection of the 220 is as shown to the two terminals marked as such.
    Al.

Albert E.

Default Re: New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in.

Hi Zach,

did you solve this issue? I am interested in how you end up wiring the machine, I just got my machine and I run into the same issue. I have a 50A breaker in my panel, so in order to get 220v I need two hot, but the machine only has one hot, neutral and ground. Do I connect the neutral to my breaker as a hot?
    A little help please??
    thanks
    Mauricio

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zlswain View Post
    Hello all,
    I have just purchased and received a new cnc from jinan omni in china. After looking over the cnc I found that it does not have a plug attached, so I can plug it in to my 220v. I have received some photos from omni showing how they have 220v hooked up to the terminals inside the control cabinet. after reviewing them, I am a bit confused. They have two hot wires no ground. I only know of a 3 prong plug for 220v here in the states. I have included the photos of their hook up, along with how I hooked up the 220v to my cabinet. Is the way I hooked up the 220v correct? New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-dsc_0339-jpg
    New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-dsc_0345-jpg

This is how I hooked mine up.

New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-photo_1-jpg
    New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug,  to plug in.-photo_2-jpg

I was told the way I have it set up it will create static on the control cabinet when running.

Please help!

Regards Zach
    Hi Zach, I just received an OMNI 1212 and am having the same issue you did. I was sent a link to a video which shows a different configuration from mine. I have the same bus bar you show in your photos with 2 wires on the top bar (L1, N). There is a ground lug on the outside of the cabinet near the entry port for the mains cable. So one 120 leg goes to L1, the other to N, and ground to the chassis?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neowalla View Post
    Hi Zach, I just received an OMNI 1212 and am having the same issue you did. I was sent a link to a video which shows a different configuration from mine. I have the same bus bar you show in your photos with 2 wires on the top bar (L1, N). There is a ground lug on the outside of the cabinet near the entry port for the mains cable. So one 120 leg goes to L1, the other to N, and ground to the chassis?

It depends how these machines have been wired it seem they should not even be connected to the power system in NA ( USA ) with out a going through as if there is no Ground Bus in the cabinet then it needs to be rewired, in China they don't have to use a Ground Bus but anywhere else in the world you do hence your problem, so you should contact an industrial Electrician, or someone who understands how the Grounding needs to be to comply with NEC electrical code

All electrical parts of the machine need to have a Ground wire that connects a star point Ground that means motors VFD Drive Etc need to have a Ground wire to one point in the cabinet, this can be either a Grounding Bus or a single Ground mounting stud where all Ground wires are connected then your main Power supply Ground then Connects to this Bus or Ground Stud

What you said is correct, for 240v connection, but is not a safe machine to be working with and would not pass an electrical inspection for the USA, unless all the motors Drives Etc for this machine have Ground wires going to the Ground mounting lug it is a none starter

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I am from the Netherlands, here we use a two pin plug for NOT grounded ( safety ground ) systems. and a three pin plug for grounded systems.
    because these plugs can be reversed, you never know which pin is going to L1 and which to N but the safety ground is always the same.
    In this case safety ground should be connected to the chassis ( Cabinet ) and the other two to L1 and N
    If you know which one is the HOT pin then connect that to L1 and the neutral to N and still always connect the ground to the chassis lug.

EDIT remark !!!! I agree with MACTEC54 safety first and stick to the local rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    I am from the Netherlands, here we use a two pin plug for NOT grounded ( safety ground ) systems. and a three pin plug for grounded systems.
    because these plugs can be reversed, you never know which pin is going to L1 and which to N but the safety ground is always the same.
    In this case safety ground should be connected to the chassis ( Cabinet ) and the other two to L1 and N
    If you know which one is the HOT pin then connect that to L1 and the neutral to N and still always connect the ground to the chassis lug.

EDIT remark !!!! I agree with MACTEC54 safety first and stick to the local rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In the NA they don't have a Neutral for 240v single phase they have 2 Hot wires each being 120v they are 180 degrees out of phase, ( so to make this very simple ) each hot takes turns at being neutral, so this works out to be the same as yours except you have ( 1 ) Hot wire and a Neutral and a Ground for a piece of equipment like this, this machine is missing the Ground part which it needs before it is put into service the Hot wire part is fine you just connect the ( 2 ) input terminals L1 and N with the 2 Hot wires used in NA ( North America )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Every machine I have Imported from China has the grounding conductor and ground plug correctly installed. Chinese 220 volt does not need a neutral, the 2 USA L1 & L2 wires hook directly up. Please have a qualified electrician, (licensed) to do the hook up for you. Do not rely on what someone tells you on the internet.

Added: Yes, I did need to change the plug on the end of the cord.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 05-24-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you guys for the advice. I have wired up the two 120 legs, one to L1 and one to N, and the ground to the ground lug on the cabinet, but I will not plug it in until I have a qualified industrial electrician give it a look. I'm in Canada. I believe our code is similar to the US.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you guys for the advice. I have wired up the two 120 legs, one to L1 and one to N, and the ground to the ground lug on the cabinet, but I will not plug it in until I have a qualified industrial electrician give it a look. I'm in Canada. I believe our code is similar to the US.
    The sad part about it, unless he does industrial wiring he may not have a clue.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Windsor and we have several electrical companies in the area that specialize in industrial work. We're right across from Detroit so there is a lot if automotive, and automation companies here. I just need to find one who is willing to work with a Mr small potatoes guy like me. I'm trying to get a business started but right now I'm just a guy in his garage with a day job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well until I retired I held a Masters license, but I did not see the need to pay $300 USD every two years and maintain a bond and Ins after that. I am 99% sure your good to go as you have it wired. But I am not standing in front of your machine and Inspected the wiring myself. I am current with the NEC Code however and I have had Chinese machines in the past few years or so. Good luck!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are a couple pictures of the mains hookup in my cabinet. Red wire is not used. (bought the wrong cable at Lowes)
    For what it is worth, my salesperson confirmed it is correct.
    Ok never mind. I guess I cannot upload pictures.

Last edited by neowalla; 05-25-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: uploaded pictures nowhere to be seen.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are a couple pictures of the mains hookup in my cabinet. Red wire is not used. (bought the wrong cable at Lowes)
    For what it is worth, my salesperson confirmed it is correct.
    Ok never mind. I guess I cannot upload pictures.
    To attach your photos, at the bottom of this window reply/reply with a quote open then, there is a tab Go Advanced scroll down and you will see another tab, manage attachments, open that tab and you will see where and how to attach each photo and upload

Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast