daisychaining 2 (or more) ATX computer PSU

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: daisychaining 2 (or more) ATX computer PSU

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb daisychaining 2 (or more) ATX computer PSU

Ok, can we have some sort of a sticky thread about the procedure of daisychaining or connecting in series 2 or more ATX power supplies to get more volts for our puny steppers.

Also I have a question.

Currently I have one ATX psu, 5v powering the drivers and 12v powering the motors. What happens to my 5v if I daisychain the 12v of 2 PSUs? Do I still have the 5v for my drivers and 24v for the motors or is the 5v doubled as well?

A nice drawing would help here as well as I've allready had my share of electric shocks to last me a lifetime and my heart can't stand the increased blood pressure induced by surprise jolts and sparks. AND I get a massive headache afterwards!

So, is my "diagram" correct? Any other "hidden extras"?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails daisychaining 2 (or more) ATX computer PSU-daisychainpsu-gif  
    Last edited by posix; 02-15-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, there's only 5v going into the driver board, no separate ground.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Take your 5V from the BLUE transformer as it is your "ground/ground".

The 5v from the green P/S is PROBABLY gonna be 5v above the output of the blue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

erm...yes yes...of course! no you lost me mate. can you repeat that just slowly this time?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1. Disconnect 5v from GREEN P/S

2. Reconnect 5v to BLUE P/S

3. +5 and ground go to drive from BLUE P/S, NOT green.

4. Delete ground lead from GREEN P/S to drive card.

As simple and slow as I can type....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

aaahhh ooooohkaaaaayyyy

but now which one has it's ground disconnected from the chassis, green or blue?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The typing isn't presented quite as slowly but it the explanation is put forth in great detail AND with pictures here:

http://www.procooling.com/index.php?...s&disp=52&pg=1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have read all that but the "procooling" article deals with a single device i.e. fan connected to two power supplies in series. what I was wondering about is what happens when you add a driver board to the equation i.e. motor at 24v and driver board at 5v. does that work? and whether I should disconnect the ground from the chassis of the green or blue psu, bearing in mind the driver is connected to the 5v off blue psu.

Is the updated "diagram" the correct one?

I hope I made myself a bit clearer this time.

If not, I can type reeaal slooow?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails daisychaining 2 (or more) ATX computer PSU-daisychainpsu-copy-gif  
    Last edited by posix; 02-16-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I bit the bullet and did what is shown in the picture. And everything works fine!!!

I even have a 3rd device, a 12v computer fan blowing cool air across the drivers.

I have gone from 6revs/second and stalling to 21revs/second and running fine! But cooling requirements grow exponentially! (Linistepper users take note and be warned!)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails daisychaining 2 (or more) ATX computer PSU-daisychain-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default had P/S colors wrong, yellow changed to green

Congratulations. You did what I intended/suggested but didn't have time to reply to your prior reeeaaal sloooow typed letter.

What happens:

The blue P/S now has has black wire at "ground" potential. Thus, the +12 and +5 were all 5 or 12 volts above "ground".

In your earlier design, the proposed 5v would be at 5v ABOVE the GREEN P/S black wire and 5v ABOVE whatever potential the GREEN supply reached with respect to the BLUE's black "ground" wire.

Check it out some time hooked up the original/other way, albeit NOT connected to the drive. Put your negative lead of vom to the BLUE ground then the positive lead of vom to the +5 and +12 of the GREEN P/S. For grins, then check voltage of -12 of GREEN.

At that point you should see what went on... no matter how fast you type. 8-)

Last edited by NC Cams; 02-16-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great. Can we make this sticky now, please as this subject keeps popping up often.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default fixed P'S colors

Whomever knows how to move/copy this to FAQ section, it would be appreciated.

I don't know how and claim to be too old/senile to learn. 8-)

EDIT: if you wanted 36 vdc, you'd simply disconnect "plus" lead from the GREEN p/s, plug in another ala the "GREEN P/S" method (don't forget to remove internal chassis ground ala GREEN "snip") and reconnect.

Ditto that for 48v.

NOTE: there are some important precautions to take when modifying AT/ATX P/S's. Check the prior link for this information.

If it is not too tough to do, a couple illustrations showing these 36 & 48 v options would be a nice contribution.... The illustrations really simplify the explanation.

Last edited by NC Cams; 02-16-2006 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added note re: 3rd P/S

Downloads
    Uploads

Using the last image Posix posted I made this up for the 36 and 48v versions. If you use gimp (open sorce paint program) you can view the .xcf file to turn on and off the 36v and 48v versions. Or just compare them to each other and the 24v version above.

Dale

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails daisychaining 2 (or more) ATX computer PSU-daisychain_36v_psu-png   daisychaining 2 (or more) ATX computer PSU-daisychain_48v_psu-png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the link to this thread pasted into my "info cheat sheet".

Will repost it when situation requires a future response. Hopefully, this thread will be used as a standard reply to any further "how do I use a PC power supply?" inquiries....

Thanks to posix and dpuch for their artistic and technical comtributions to the community.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

you might have to register (hopefully not) but this might help some out

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=108208

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Different supplies...Does it matter?

Does it matter if the power supplies don't match? I have a 250watt AT style power supply and a 480watt Serial ATX style supply.

Can I join these together? Does it matter which one has its chassis ground clipped

thanks
    John

John W
    http://home.comcast.net/~pwprojects

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you drew full power from the 480 watter, you'd potentially be running the 250 watter WAY overcurrent.

Yes, it does matter BIG TIME which ground is clipped.

Here's how to do it:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...015#post142015

Do it this way (post #9 and #13) and ONLY this way and don't get creative.

Why? Reread post #9 in provided link.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I understand which ground should be clipped relative to the diagram but which supply should I make the green one? Or are you saying that regardless of supply I put in the green position I run a good chance of burning up the 250 watt supply?

Sorry for my density,
    Thanks for your help,
    John

John W
    http://home.comcast.net/~pwprojects

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look at the daisly chaining of power supplies with the same logic as if you tried to hook up a thoroughbread horse and a mule in series to pull a wagon....

Poor match, no???

The horse would easily outrun the mule (speed wise) but the mule could probably outlast the horse in its abilty to pull over the long term.

The small power supply is component sized (as in the output current pass elements) so as to support THAT amount of power. The BIG one is sized in a like fashion.

What do you think will happen if/when you ultimately may get to the point of shoving 480 watts thru the pass elements of a 250 watt P/S regardless of where you mount either P/S in the chain??? I don't know for sure but I wouldn't want to find out because I"m not that curious.

To simplify life, I'd use matched P/S's....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Word of caution. As far as I remember power supply case is connected to ground. Hence if two daisy chained power supplies connected by the cases it will short one of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast