Need Help! Programming Subcontracting

Thread: Programming Subcontracting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Programming Subcontracting

Hi everyone,

I worked at a company up until 4 months ago as the Machine Shop supervisor. I ran the machine shop and did all the programming. I gave my two weeks notice and left on good terms. So much so that before I left they asked me to program for them as a subcontractor. We negotiated a fair price for my time and I signed a contract from them as a subcontractor. Everything was going fine up until recently.

The company does batch production, the average quantity is about 75pcs with some being alot more sometimes(1000+). They have their own ERP system which I continue to have access to from at home. I program parts from a priority list with the ERP system.

I submit invoices every week. The last invoice I submitted they are refusing to pay on time and as the plant manager wanted to review it, stating "Why are they so many parts design on a fixture? This will waste time in the machine shop."

I was genuinely confused, firstly because does he not understand that fixturing reduces machining time and the likelihood of scrapped parts. Secondly, because all these parts had quantities over 500pcs and thirdly, because this is $300 less than the highest invoice I have sent them and that invoice was not under review.

The invoice has since been approved but now it is delayed even further. Thus is also not the first delayed invoice. They have also now asked me to stop using the erp system to program as they will be emailing me which parts to program and telling me if to program it as a one off or on a fixture. They are not a small company. They do around 10million in revenue a year.

In order to get the invoice approved I had to submit to him part by part the actual machine time breakdown, running 1 part vs fixturing. I have never had to do this before and the wording of his emails to me have genuinely pissed me off.

I am contemplating terminating the contract as they are not holding up they end of the bargain and are causing me unnecessary stress. I am also thinking about continuing and defining the terms of the contract a little more. As of right now if they email me today with a part to program saying they need it right away I have it complete that same day or the next day. I am thinking of specifying email response times and program completion times.

What are everyone's thought on this matter? What should I do?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Programming Subcontracting

Also the majority of their jobs will be repeat jobs.

Downloads
    Uploads

It might be time for a sit down chat. You need to ask the questions: What are your expectations? What do you need? What can I do to meet your expectations?

It sounds like there is some missed communication, both you and the customer need to get on the same page. Most important is to listen to what the customer has to say. If the customer doesn't want to fixture the parts, then create a tool path that runs single parts. You know it isn't the best, but it's what the customer apparently wants.

If you and the customer can't come to an agreement then it may be time to terminate the contract.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    It might be time for a sit down chat. You need to ask the questions: What are your expectations? What do you need? What can I do to meet your expectations?

It sounds like there is some missed communication, both you and the customer need to get on the same page. Most important is to listen to what the customer has to say. If the customer doesn't want to fixture the parts, then create a tool path that runs single parts. You know it isn't the best, but it's what the customer apparently wants.

If you and the customer can't come to an agreement then it may be time to terminate the contract.
    When I agreed to do this them the owner told me " You decide what is best, fixture or single part. Since you know how it works here. If it is for our main customers a fixture is best as the job will probably come around again". I did that, this is my 14th invoice to them, why only need to review this one and not any of the others? As I said before this invoice was not the largest or the one with the most fixtures.

Thanks for your response, appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Downloads
    Uploads

That being the case, it sounds like there is some communication disconnect between the owner and the plant manager. You are getting conflicting information. Getting between the owner and the plant manager is going to be a real problem for you, one or the other is not going to be happy. If you are working most closely with the plant manager, then do what he wants, but get the instructions in writing.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA