Need Help! Bone Screw Cost? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bone Screw Cost?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bone Screw Cost?

One of the challenges is that insurance companies insist on only paying about 30% of a medial bill.

The end effect is that in order to actually get paid for a $100 item, the retail bill price has to be $300.

People who don't have insurance are in a tough position, because they are billed the $300 and don't have access to the discounts.

Some hospitals attempted to fix this problem by offering to make the pricing more equitable for all - and the insurance companies refused to go along with it.

Frankly another (insurance) reason is that insurance companies routinely refuse to pay a bill the first time - just reject it. If it comes in a few times, then they pay it. It is their method of holding onto the money longer.

Downloads
    Uploads

That all sounds basically corrupt.
    imho
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7894 View Post
    Hello All,
    I was wondering if someone with some medical manufacturing expertise could provide some insight in to the costs of bone screw manufacturing? The reason I ask is because my daughter recently had outpatient surgery for her broken ankle.
    The hospital billed my insurance $70,000 for this outpatient surgery. Naturally I was curious about what was driving this insane cost for only a few hours of service. I immediately demanded the detailed bill from the hospital and found that $30,000 of the cost was attributed to medical implants. Each bone screw was charged at $239 dollars per screw. Also a pair of bone plates with a $4000 dollar price tag
    After reviewing the design of the screws I would guesstimate maybe $10 in material, machining and finishing, and maybe a $30 final price to the hospital when you take into account regulation and cost of sales.

So am I missing something? or am I just being blatantly ripped off by the hospital?

Thanks for any insight you may have

Hello Andy 7894

The material cost are a minimum. What you are paying for is expertise in machining, materials that are added to promote bone attachment (some are proprietary) to the implant. In addition there is the FDA approval for the implants. This can be in the millions of dollars. If you really want to know why the deathcare system in the US cost so much, you need to go back in time. Eustace Mullins provides a great summary. Look for all of his videos, he was a great man but has passed on.
    By the way I had a special medical case designed outside the US, a simple plastic box that can be sterilized. After the product was shipped, it stayed 2 weeks in customs only to be returned back. Even the FDA could not tell me why a plastic box needed their approval. After 2 more weeks, I was able to receive the shipment. Search for Mr Mullins complete videos, then you will understand the real problem.

In addition do not forget the cost of the special drills, instruments, surgical guides etc. For example a 125.00 Dewalt drill vs a $ 50,000.00 surgical instrument.

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man

Last edited by Iron-Man; 09-24-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not wishing to argue the point, but I suggest what you are really paying for is the (incredible) cost of the paperwork and the profit margin. One could argue about this till the cows come home of course. All I will say is that other countries do not have this problem. (Having just had micro-surgery with a plate and about 7 screws inserted.)

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

You get a great deal if paying in cash. Doctors and hospitals love to get paid immediately. They will cut the prices to much lower than you think. I have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lazy man does it twice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12