Laser attachment to 3D printer

Thread: Laser attachment to 3D printer

Default Laser attachment to 3D printer

Hi,

I am thinking to add a laser attachment to my 3D printer.
    Did anyone have experience with them?! How difficult is to connect and mount them? Is any special software required?

I saw a lot of cheap units on Ebay (Chinese mostly) but I am not sure about their quality.

Checked Endurance lasers web site and it seems like that guys offer pretty good variations.
    Did anyone try them?

Thank you?

--Kate alla Tsuba

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser attachment to 3D printer

Be very careful about doing that. Laser cutters are specialized machines; they have enclosures that protect you from the beam, and interlocks so the laser is never on when the door is open. Just mounting a laser to an open machine is asking for trouble; if the beam hits something shiny, it can reflect into your eye, which will not work after that. This is a very powerful and intense beam of light capable of cutting plywood - what do you think it would do to your body parts? Also, cutting things with a laser generates harmful fumes. Most enclosed laser cutters have a way to exhaust those - what's your printer going to do about them?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Kate, one of our customers have sent me a link for this question.

We make a real power measurements and made a video showing the results of measuring.
    http://endurancelasers.com/real-rate...r-measurement/
    have a look at it.

We sold more than 1700 lasers world wide and have less than 5% returns and refund (very rear cases)

Kate, please, text me if you have any questions +79162254302 (whatsapp, viber, telegram)
    or simply email: gf[at]endurancerobots.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser attachment to 3D printer

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Be very careful about doing that. Laser cutters are specialized machines; they have enclosures that protect you from the beam, and interlocks so the laser is never on when the door is open. Just mounting a laser to an open machine is asking for trouble; if the beam hits something shiny, it can reflect into your eye, which will not work after that. This is a very powerful and intense beam of light capable of cutting plywood - what do you think it would do to your body parts? Also, cutting things with a laser generates harmful fumes. Most enclosed laser cutters have a way to exhaust those - what's your printer going to do about them?
    While technically it's a piece of cake and many people add laser cutters to their 3D printers or CNC, safety concerns is what keeps me away from it. I may one day try to go "DVD laser" way, just for the fun of testing, but I will probably never use any laser head as powerful as needed for cutting metal.

BTW, talking about dangerous fumes, even melting plastic is dangerous for your health. PLA is not having any documented negative record (yet ????) but all the other plastics are also not very good for your health. I am not sure that fumes caused by laser cutter are more dangerous than doing any workshop works involving metal, stone or even wood cutting, welding, gluing, painting, 3D printing and what not...

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com