Solved Elmer's Glue Sticks (Purple) for bed adhesion!

Thread: Elmer's Glue Sticks (Purple) for bed adhesion!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Elmer's Glue Sticks (Purple) for bed adhesion!

After many mediocre attempts at getting the first layer to stick to the glass heated bed including higher heats, ABS dissolved in Acetone, blue painters tape, Kapton and many other now forgotten techniques. I stumbled upon a thread or post somewhere suggesting using Elmer's washable glue sticks (the stick itself is purple, they are 2 for 97 cents at WalMart). I would give credit if I could remember where I read it. I turned around and my wife had one within arms reach, this was a sign. At first I used it on my already heated bed. It worked wonderfully but was hard to distribute evenly due to it melting. My glass plates are easily removable with office clips. So the technique works like this.

Take a clean, cold glass plate apply Elmer's glue stick using parallel strokes (oddly enough if intersecting it will accumulate more adhesive at those points, the part will still adhere very well it just makes the bottom less attractive).

Install glass plate as you usually would, hit print.

Upon completion of your print, take the plate off the printer and let it cool, remember it is hot. I use regular window glass, not tempered or borosilicate so I dont try to use water to rush the cooling. During this cool down process you will hear a series of very loud pops. You will believe your glass plate has shattered. The part will fall off.

I have tried to remove the part immediately and though it can be done with a razor blade. Without the razor blade I think the glass would break. It sticks VERY WELL.

There is no smell or danger, unlike hair spray and Acetone. It doesnt clog up or get anywhere but where you rub the glue stick. And it is washable with warm water. Did I say it was cheap?

Here is a link to a video while printing. This part is adhered with an area the size of a quarter if that. 100% infill. Black ABS. 205C extruder, 110c bed. The finished part is 5.5" long and was printed overhanging at approximately a 45 degree angle. Furthermore the extruder was skipping during the infill due to lack of nozzle clearance or filament diameter settings. I was sure that last issue would break the part free as there was no support. It adhered well the whole time with absolutely no corner lift of any kind. All parts are now dead flat.

I hope it works as well for you all.