Help Please looking for 3-D printing (and scanning) services

Thread: Help Please looking for 3-D printing (and scanning) services

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help Please looking for 3-D printing (and scanning) services

I haven’t been on the forum for a while now

I need some help - please

Looking to get a small plastic part scanned and printed (manufactured)

It’s made out of plastic from what I can tell. It’s slightly smaller than a quarter.

It must be precise. I’m looking to have made at least 50

I rarely come here so please either PM or email me at mark@dieselfuelinjector.guru

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Please looking for 3-D printing (and scanning) services-170ee9af-0b70-4839-b8e9-1d3c794292f5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help Please looking for 3-D printing (and scanning) services

You might be better off modeling that part in a CAD program from measurements, rather than going the 3D scan route. If it has to meet high tolerances, you'll need to reverse-engineer the part from the scan anyway. But this part doesn't look that hard to measure, so you could probably save yourself a step. Once you've got a solid model, you can generate a mesh, save it as STL, and send it to any 3D printing service bureau that handles the material you want to print it in, which presumably will be something resistant to immersion in diesel fuel. Look for someone with a machine that uses soluble supports, so you don't have a lot of cleanup on each part.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You might be better off modeling that part in a CAD program from measurements, rather than going the 3D scan route. If it has to meet high tolerances, you'll need to reverse-engineer the part from the scan anyway. But this part doesn't look that hard to measure, so you could probably save yourself a step. Once you've got a solid model, you can generate a mesh, save it as STL, and send it to any 3D printing service bureau that handles the material you want to print it in, which presumably will be something resistant to immersion in diesel fuel. Look for someone with a machine that uses soluble supports, so you don't have a lot of cleanup on each part.
    Thank you for your response and info. Not sure what that means exactly Lol. Doesn’t need to be diesel resistant.

The part is actually a “cam” for an electric car antenna.

I’ve been emailing numerous vendors and virtually zero feedback or apparent interest. Oddly a firm from China seems to be the only vendor looking into possibly making a batch for me.

Do you know of any US vendors who will actually respond / possibly make this part without a quote for a zillion dollars? I’m guessing the latter as a way to get rid of me

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help Please looking for 3-D printing (and scanning) services

I was going from your email, and figured it was part of a diesel system. But if it's not, that makes things easier.

I think your problem is that people who do 3D printing don't normally do custom design of parts, or reverse engineering. If you break it down into two jobs - model design and 3D printing - you'll be able to find lots more companies willing to help.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]