Need Help! Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled? - Page 2


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    VA, USA
    Posts
    122
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default G540 and charge pump from non-EPP mode parallel port

    Hi Action-KAT,

    I was not the person who claimed success using the C26, that was kdaniel32.

    I am the owner of PMDX and was just trying to explain why the C26 card would have fixed the problem. We do not have a C26 card to actually test, so my observations are based on reading the manual and looking at the chips on the board as seen in photo from the CNC4PC web site.

    Regards,
    Steve Stallings
    PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications



  2. #22
    Registered Action-KAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    110
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Sorry morestuff yes it was meant for kdaniel32, mixed up the posts what am I like.

    would be nice to know if C26 will sort out the problem before comitting either way.
    I did find a UK supplier of a similar product if not the same one.
    cncdoctor.co.uk

    I may use this one as it wouldn't take to long to arrive for mr to try just waiting for a reply from them, I will report back if I go this route.
    Cheers



  3. #23
    Member joeybagadonuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SoCal USA
    Posts
    467
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Unhappy Make the G540 compatible with a standard parallel port

    Steve Stallings,

    You would think that Mariss would take the time to make his G540 compatible with a standard parallel port, he has the talent.
    Its only been two years of customers complaining about it.

    JoeyB

    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    VA, USA
    Posts
    122
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Make the G540 compatible with a standard parallel port

    Well yes and no. Resolving this issue would be nice, but the solution is not trivial. The interface is isolated and there is no power source available on the PC side of the optocouplers. For we vendors of breakout boards that have an on board power transformer, a second isolated source for powering a buffer comes easily.

    For the G540 which gets its power from the motor power supply, a separate inverter circuit would be required and that would bump up the cost. High gain optocouplers exist that could possibly operate directly from the signal available from a parallel port that is NOT running in EPP mode, however they are a bit fickle and may be too slow to deal with a 50kHz square wave coming out of Mach when running at 100kHz kernel speed.

    Regards,
    Steve Stallings
    PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications


    Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonuts View Post
    Steve Stallings,

    You would think that Mariss would take the time to make his G540 compatible with a standard parallel port, he has the talent.
    Its only been two years of customers complaining about it.

    JoeyB




  5. #25
    Member joeybagadonuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SoCal USA
    Posts
    467
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Wink Screw the customer, I understand being frugal.

    Steve,

    .45 cents is not very much when Mariss is making several hundred dollars profit on this product. Screw the customer, I understand being frugal.

    JoeyB



    Quote Originally Posted by morestuff View Post
    Well yes and no. Resolving this issue would be nice, but the solution is not trivial. The interface is isolated and there is no power source available on the PC side of the optocouplers. For we vendors of breakout boards that have an on board power transformer, a second isolated source for powering a buffer comes easily.

    For the G540 which gets its power from the motor power supply, a separate inverter circuit would be required and that would bump up the cost. High gain optocouplers exist that could possibly operate directly from the signal available from a parallel port that is NOT running in EPP mode, however they are a bit fickle and may be too slow to deal with a 50kHz square wave coming out of Mach when running at 100kHz kernel speed.

    Regards,
    Steve Stallings
    PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications


    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.


  6. #26
    Registered Action-KAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    110
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default QUICK UPDATE

    Just updating from my last post

    I finally got around & tried the LPT buffer I got from UK supplier £13.70.

    I can report that it worked great, charge pump on & I get the green light and all runs fine.
    I have a USB cable plugged in to the PC for the 5v supply.
    cheap way to get a pci addon parallel port working with the G540 charge pump enabled..
    KAT



  7. #27
    Registered howajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Talking G540 up and running with Moschip MCS9815 based Dual parallel card.

    I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I recently ran into this problem with a Rosewill RC-304 dual port card using the moschip MCS9815.

    Based on this very thorough description of the problem (thanks Steve):

    Yahoo! Groups

    I was able to get mine up and running pretty easily.

    I really feel like it should be solved in software, but since I am more at home with a soldering iron than a compiler, I soldered 470 ohm resistors between the "output" pins (1,14,16,17) and the PCI +5V supply. This provides some current to drive the g540s inputs, most importantly, that charge pump.

    Conventional PCI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Works great. None of the precious smoke has escaped so far.

    Your mileage may vary, and you could totally destroy all the electronics in a two block radius if you screw this up. :-)

    Last edited by howajo; 04-14-2011 at 02:36 AM.


  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    242
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I too have been wrestling with epp+ecp problem. I had read up on the data status and control bits used in the EPP mode and sort of figured out that their state needed to be changed for it to work with the G540 charge pump.
    Then I came across your thread and it motivated me to decided to try it out on a $59 HP desktop PC. I also had a dual port PCI card that would not come out of the ECP mnode even with the Bios disabled for the parallel port to make sure there was no conflicts. So I soldered 470 ohm resistors to the same pins as you did and connected the other ends to +5 on one of the unused floppy drive connectors. Lo and Behold. Was there smoke? Nope, did I see the desired green light on the G540. Yup!. Then I proceded to check that the outputs on pins 1,14,16,ans 17 worked using mach3 to control them

    So thank you for providing the stimulous to try your solution. I also talked with Marcus at Geckodrive and suggested that he too try this but on the G540 motherboard.
    The EPP problem is the #1 issue that my customers run into.

    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics, inc. -- CNC with Dan Mauch
    stepper and servo motors
    kits, custom and assembled CNC systems using gecko products



    Quote Originally Posted by howajo View Post
    I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I recently ran into this problem with a Rosewill RC-304 dual port card using the moschip MCS9815.

    Based on this very thorough description of the problem (thanks Steve):

    Yahoo! Groups

    I was able to get mine up and running pretty easily.

    I really feel like it should be solved in software, but since I am more at home with a soldering iron than a compiler, I soldered 470 ohm resistors between the "output" pins (1,14,16,17) and the PCI +5V supply. This provides some current to drive the g540s inputs, most importantly, that charge pump.

    Conventional PCI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Works great. None of the precious smoke has escaped so far.

    Your mileage may vary, and you could totally destroy all the electronics in a two block radius if you screw this up. :-)




  9. #29
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    17
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled?

    Resurrecting an old thread to add some pictures. I have two HP desktops that both exhibit the issue where pin 16 of the parallel port won't sink enough current to drive the opto-isolator in the G540. It goes to a high-impedance state when high due to the EPP/ECP setting. I opened up the case and added some 510 ohm resistors to pins 1, 14, 16, and 17 to pull them high, connected to the 5v rail on a floppy drive connector. The G540 now sees the charge pump signal when Mach3 is running.

    I put an oscilloscope on pin 16 before and after to see what was going on. The images show the 15KHz square wave that Mach3 is generating. By default, without any load, it would go to 4.5 volts when high, but when I add a 1K ohm resistor as a load, the voltage only goes to 0.75 volts when high. After I added the pullup resistors, it would sit at 4.6 volts when high. You can see the change in rise time in the waveform.

    Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled?-1-jpg Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled?-2-jpg



  10. #30

    Default Re: Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled?

    Also! I purchased an old version 3 SIIG Cyberparallel PCI card from eBay for like $4 USD, and the way to set the ECP EPP mode is with a strange old command prompt type program that SIIG offers on there website. You must send a 1 for EPP+ECP, or a 2 for EPP only, etc. I also had to convert from 64 bit windows to 32 bit (which is quite easy), to allow the very old, unsigned driver, that SIIG's website provided, to work. The card was made for like windows 95 tho, it came with a floppy disk lol.



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled?

Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled?

Anybody have a working PCI parallel card for G540 w/ charge pump enabled?