G540 wiring diagram for dummies? :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G540 wiring diagram for dummies? :)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G540 wiring diagram for dummies? :)

Hi,

I got myself G540 along with Keling's motors and power supply. I also bought stepper wire, estop switch, limit switches and home switches (no clue how to wire these or where.... really). I understand I need to buy some kind of resistors and some wire to wire things. I have no clue which ones I need.

I looked at the diagrams provided on the website and in the manual and I'm still a bit confused on what should go where. If someone can provide me an easy-to-understand diagram or some kind of information on how to wire all of that properly, I would really appreciate it.

-BK

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

What model Keling steppers do you have?

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

KL23H276-28-4B (2 motors), KL23H284-35-4B (1 motor), KL-350-48 power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

KL23H276-28-4B wiring pin out for G540.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 wiring diagram for dummies? :)-kl23h276-28-4b-jpg  
    Last edited by jalessi; 03-11-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

G540 wiring diagram for KL23H276-28-4B motor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 wiring diagram for dummies? :)-kl23h284-35-4b-jpg  
    Last edited by jalessi; 03-11-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for those diagrams! First diagram is for 28-4B and the second one is the 35-4B, just in case anyone gets confused. You wrote 35-4B for both, heh

Alright, so correct me if I'm wrong:

Motors have 4 wires: Black, Green, Red and Blue.

Both motors are wired the same way, except they use different capacity resistors.

So... I take my wire from the motor, solder it to the stepper wire, solder stepper wire to the appropriate 4 pins on the connector: 6, 7, 8, 9.

Then I take a resistor and solder it to pins 1 and 5?

Pins 2, 3 and 4 are supposed to be ground pins. Now, how exactly do I wire them? My stepper wire is shielded if that does anything.

Limit switches seem to be a no-brainer to connect, but how do I connect home switches?

Downloads
    Uploads

You are on the right track.

You don't need separate home and limit switches, one switch will do both "dual" functions.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 wiring diagram for dummies? :)-home-limits-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach home limit combo for G540

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 wiring diagram for dummies? :)-combine-home-limit-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, thanks. I guess I wasted some money buying the lesser home switches with 2 connectors. At least they were cheap.

What is the difference between home and limit switch? Limit switch breaks the circuit if it becomes open, but what does home switch do?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

A home switch expects to get hit every time an axis is sent to the 'home' position. The home routine finds the 'absolute zero' location for that axis.

A limit switch getting hit is an e-stop emergency. It means the axis is going where no axis was meant to go. Limit switches are placed behind home switches, just short of mechanical damage territory.

Mariss

Downloads
    Uploads

The home switch is to reference the home or starting position of the axis

The limit switch is to prevent axis over travel.

Jeff...

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi BK!

You can use THIS wire for motor cables and home/limit switches. Ground the drain wire ONLY at the driver end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4

You won't need any db9 motor connectors with the G540, as they come WITH it. The G540 also has circuitry for simple spindle speed control and outputs for dc relays to turn coolant pump (Or router motor) on or off.

These inexpensive relays are very good :

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

You will need one of THESE 1/4 Watt 3.48K resistors for your 387:

3.48KXBK-ND

and 2 of THESE 1/4 W 2.8K resistors for your 270s:

2.80KXBK-ND

They only come in a pack of five, so about $1 for 10. With shipping it's about $3.50

http://digikey.com/

If you don't already HAVE them, these are excellent home switches:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-CNC-Limit-Swit...em330307070296

They are NO, so only for home switches. Limit switches need to be NC. the whole set of 6 switches costs less than ONE switch would cost at Radio Shack.

You will also need an estop switch. This one from Keling only costs 10 bucks and works fine:

http://kelinginc.net/CNCPackage.html

Keling has Home/limit switches, parallel computer cable and helical connectors on same page as Estop/

The G540 is so small that many are mounting theirs INSIDE the computer case.

Camtronics has a case MADE for the G540:

http://s120220635.onlinehome.us/stepper-components.asp

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mariss, Jeff -- thanks, makes sense.

CR:

I got 50 feet of that wire back in Riverside--ordered it a week ago and it came in pretty quickly. What do you mean by grounding the drain wire at the driver end only?

I'll order those resistors tomorrow.

I already got those home switches. How would I wire them? Diagrams only show limit switches being wired. Would I wire limit switches in series on one input and then home switches in series on the other? Not sure on this one. I know that Mach3 has built in software limit stuff, but I'd trust hardware more. Seems like that by their diagram you can only wire enough limit switches to support one side of each axis and the other would be supported by software? Well, what's the point of that...

I got that EStop switch as well.

Got the keling limit switches too.

I am going to look around here for the parallel cable, but I'll probably end up getting that one.

What are helical connectors for?

I will most likely mount my stuff inside of a computer case or a cheap enclosure.

What are those two things in the middle of camtronics case? http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/images/g540show_003a.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post
    I already got those home switches. How would I wire them? Diagrams only show limit switches being wired. Would I wire limit switches in series on one input and then home switches in series on the other? Not sure on this one. I know that Mach3 has built in software limit stuff, but I'd trust hardware more. Seems like that by their diagram you can only wire enough limit switches to support one side of each axis and the other would be supported by software? Well, what's the point of that...
    Using the red diagram, wire the NO home switches to terminals 1,2,3 and ground--Just the way they show it. Wire ALL of the NC limit switches in series between pin 4 and ground.

What are helical connectors for?
    Reducing or eliminating backlash in conjunction with pre-loaded ball nuts.

What are those two things in the middle of camtronics case? http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/images/g540show_003a.jpg
    I think they are DC relays.

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CR: I got the Dumpster CNC stuff, so I probably won't need those helical connectors then.

So, about grounding that drain wire at the driver end only.... what did you mean by that?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm amazed someone hasn't started making making cables for the G540. 10' cables with different ohm resistors in place. A lot of folks are intimidated with soldering the small (to these old eyes) wire bosses of a B9 plug. Add in the pain of losing those blasted tiny nuts that put the housing together and people would flock to your doors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CR: http://cnczone.com/forums/attachment...3&d=1236770375 says to use 3.5k resistors, will those 3.48K you've mentioned work? I'm sure they've rounded the number, but I just want to make sure.

Also, are there any recommendation on what kind of wire I should use to power supply, estop switch, limit and home switches?

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can FIND 3.5K resistors, feel free to use them. These are for all practical purposes the same thing and ARE available.

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

K. So, still, can you explain the whole drain wire thing you've talked about?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post
    K. So, still, can you explain the whole drain wire thing you've talked about?
    Shielded wire is OPTIONAL for motors, MANDATORY for limit/home switches. Shielding only works if the shielding is grounded to Chassis--And only works well if grounded at only driver end. The drain wire is a bare wire that is connected to the shielding and makes it easy to ground it.

CR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast