How to use active proximity home switches with the G540? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to use active proximity home switches with the G540?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to use active proximity home switches with the G540?

Quote Originally Posted by I_V_A_R View Post
    The fact is that in my cnc, a fairly inexpensive chinese router, the elecronics concisted of: 40v powesupply, 5v
    powersupply, a board for each axis X Y and Z, a board for the spindel, the 10-30 v NPN's, the VFD and finally a hand controller. So i hobestly dont know where the NPN's used to get their power from if one of the boards didn't have some kind of transformator built in, actually when I think about it there is a terminal for 10V on the VFD so maybe the answer lies there. The answer to your quedtion is, I concluded that since my machene worked before my rebuild/upgrade, I shuldnt need more power suplies if the G450 and the Warp9-ESS Didnt require so. Ironically I did get a brand new 5V 10A powersupply for the ESS, cause I didnt want it to share the 5V with the NPN's because the 5V only had 0.5A which according to Warp9 is the absolute minimum (or close to) anyway, I think I could have used the old 5V for the ESS and got'n a new 10v or 30v for the NPN's unless maybe the G540 somehow vould provide 10-30v?
    You could not use the 10v from the VFD Drive as this is only a mA supply

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok,

So far the result I got as that all sensors are trigged if one is trigged. Then I probably did something wrong. Either in Mach 4 but most likely in the wiring.

I found the attached wiring diagram in this forum thread: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko...18750-cnc.html
    How to use active proximity home switches with the G540?-g540-proximity-switches-microswitch-star-point-ground

If I follow this wiring, will it align with how you guys would do the wiring?

The 2 things I might have skipped is,
    The connection between green"earth" and and the minus of the 12 v supply.
    The connection between the + terminal of the 12v supply and each 1, 2, 3, terminal with appearently a 12v led indicator In between.

Downloads
    Uploads

"So far the result I got as that all sensors are trigged if one is trigged"

No wonder, All the switches are in parallel?

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    "So far the result I got as that all sensors are trigged if one is trigged"

No wonder, All the switches are in parallel?
    So from the factory, the brown wires from all 3 sensors were soldered together, and blue wires from all 3 sensors were also soldered together, the only wires kept separate was the black ones, which left me with 1 blue 1 brown and 3 black wire. I assumed from the start that the 3 blacks would go to term 1, 2, and 3 in the G450. No advise or research has told me otherwise. So i dont know if this is paralell or series, but it did work in the old system. With my limited understanding of electronics, these swiches in series would be: Brown from switch1 to blue on switch 2, and brown from switch2 to blue on switch 3. This was never how my machine was wired. Unles I totally failed examening it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. Finally the switches are working.

Now each axis lights up separately in Mach4 when ever triggered,

The solution now is making use of this little step-down: Se attachment How to use active proximity home switches with the G540?-skjermbilde-2022-09-16-kl-15-41-a

It is connected with plus and minus to the 45V supply output(the supply powering G540).
    and then the LM2596S-steppdown module is adjusted to output 12 V, and its output terminals is connected Blue to Minus and Brown to Plus and it powers the NPN Proximity switches (Home switches) like that.
    Black wires from each sensor goes to terminals 1, 2 and 3, on the gecko as before.
    There is for the time being no extra wire connecting blue from the NPN switches to Power-supply negative terminals directly.
    If there is such connection from Blue to GND(powersuply negative terminal), it happens via the LM2596S-steppdown.

(or depending on "green down/red up arrow" in Active Configure>Plugins>Configure ESS > Pins Condig> Active High/Low Port1 Pin 10 to 12, If "red arrow up" they wil individually shut when triggered.)

So.

Even though the sensors are working, It doesn't cause the steppers to stop when sensors are tripped.
    I hope and believe that this is a Mach4 issue.

I think I can start another thread under Mach4 to figure out the rest, If some of you should know/suspekt that the issue is stil on the wiring side, I'll be happy if you let me know. Anyway,
    thank you all for your help and support!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by I_V_A_R View Post
    Even though the sensors are working, It doesn't cause the steppers to stop when sensors are tripped.
    I hope and believe that this is a Mach4 issue.
    All you have done so far it tell Mach that you've reached a limit. Now you have to set up the limits in the software - I only know Mach3 but assume it will be under 'Limits and Homing' in the Configuration. So - RT*M - its all in there!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    All you have done so far it tell Mach that you've reached a limit. Now you have to set up the limits in the software - I only know Mach3 but assume it will be under 'Limits and Homing' in the Configuration. So - RT*M - its all in there!
    Thank you. Ive done it. Now its time for the soft limits.
    It seems that it is only the soft limits that prevent the axis from crashing when jogging, thats true for the opposit end of the home switch, but it seems also to be true for the home end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12