Gecko G540 and Mach3 XML PLEASE HELP ME

Thread: Gecko G540 and Mach3 XML PLEASE HELP ME

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gecko G540 and Mach3 XML PLEASE HELP ME

Hello all,

I have Mach3 and just purchased the G540 driver board. It is all up and running and does great. I had to upload the G540 xml file into Mach3 and now when I open a cut file it looks so much bigger than it should. In other words if the actual parameters for the material is 5 inches square, the gcode is trying to cut it at 20 inches square. Mach3 has a cut preview window and it only shows a very small portion of the actual file because it is so big.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gecko G540 and Mach3 XML PLEASE HELP ME

Usually issues like that are caused by a mismatch in units; like when the program is looking for inches but your machine is configured in mm. But that's more like a 25-to-1 ratio. It might be that you've set up your steps per unit wrong. Try commanding a move of one inch and see how far it goes; if it's significantly more than an inch, start over with the steps-per-unit calculations.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, that was it. In the config unit settings it was mm not inches. Then I went to settings and changed to inches. I got it figured out now it moves an inch correctly. Thank you.

The next problem I am having is loading a g code file. It seems the file is huge when loaded like you said above. Like a 25 to 1 ratio, although that is just an example. The file I loaded it only a 2 inch circle with the word Clarke in the middle. The C is like 6 inches tall. It doesn't matter if I reboot the program and re-load the file. I had no issues with my cheap Chinese TB6560 but am willing to figure this out for the Gecko G540.

Downloads
    Uploads

Even though you got the steps per unit issue sorted out, it sounds like you're still having a problem getting the program to realize that the G-code is supposed to be inches, not mm. Try adding a G20 (use inches as the units) to the string of G commands at the start of the program. If there's a G21 (use mm as units) remove it. If your CAM program allows you to edit the post-processor, you can tell it to put that in every program.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I'll try that. I use VCarve Pro to generate the gcode. The tool path preview window that shows where the machine is currently located and the cutpaths are blue looks nothing like what it is supposed to. All I did was load the g540 xml file into mach3 but I didn't like how it change how big the program looks on screen. I copied down the parameters from that file so my ports and pins would work with the Mach3Mill profile and the machine works well, just loads gcode wrong now.

Not sure why changing the driver to g540 would change how mach3 looks at gcode?

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think that changing the driver did that; it was loading the new XML file. Since the G20 command is modal, you can probably just enter it into the MDI box and it will change how the display looks, until you run a program with a G21 in it, which will change it back.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I figured out. Before I used a .txt post processor file type when I saved it in VCarve. Using that processor type screwed me up after I changed to the gecko. Whether it was the change or uploading the g540 xml file I don't know.
    I changed the post processor to Mach2/3 and resaved the same file and it seems to work fine now.

Thank you for your help in figuring it out for me.