Need Help! BLDC HX-WS400 connected to GECKO G540 & Mach3

Thread: BLDC HX-WS400 connected to GECKO G540 & Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default BLDC HX-WS400 connected to GECKO G540 & Mach3

Dear Friends

i need help with connecting the BLDC (VFD) driver HX-WS400 (comes with spindle) to G540.

i got the HX WS-400 with potentiometer but i dont want to use it.

i want the control to be from mach3.

i dont know which terminals to connect between the G540 and the HX WS-400.

i dont know how to set the Mach3 setting to fit for that (PWM, FREQ etc).

my motor that came with the VFD is 12000 rpm.

i am attaching few files and info for the HX-WS400 and the G540.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BLDC HX-WS400 connected to GECKO G540 & Mach3-s-l1000-jpg   BLDC HX-WS400 connected to GECKO G540 & Mach3-g540pinout-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BLDC HX-WS400 connected to GECKO G540 & Mach3

Unless I am reading it wrong, this drive is a standalone motor control that takes a STEP and DIRECTION signal. It looks like they call the STEP input "PWM" and DIRECTION input "F/R", which I assume is forward and reverse.

Because of that I do not think there is any way to run it with the G540. The G540 can output a VFD control voltage (0-10V) and work with a relay, but it does not output STEP and DIRECTION. You may want to run the G540 and this drive with a third party motion controller like the SmoothStepper or UC300. That will open up extra I/O to control that drive.

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dear Marcus

i wired the wires as an re comendation of user name "poopy_pants" at this link https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko...s-spindle.html
    he wrote:

"You can replace the POT with the 3 wires from your G540 VFD. Just hook them up according to how they are on the POT now (7 to GND, 8 to VR, 9 to +V). The G540 takes the input from pin 9 and adjusts as a percentage (PWM) to the max spindle speed set in Mach3 or similar. Max speed takes full voltage from pin 9 and applies to pin 8. I have a LMS SX2 mill and did exactly that with the built in speed control POT. As long as you are not exceeding the max VFD input voltage of the G540, you are fine."

and i did that but the control on the speed with mach3 is not working fine

i changed the wiring instead of VR to PWM and it worked more fine but still the speed control is not right. there is no corellation between speed in mach3 to the real. its reacting to the change command but not to the right speed.

Best Regards to all

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you measure the voltage out of the G540 across VFD GND and VFD OUT while you change commanded speeds? Lets see what you are actually sending the drive and if it is what it needs.

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

i took measurments when i ran it. the max for 12000(in mach 3) i got 3.6v between VR and GND

also when changed the wiring to PWM terminal..

when i decreasing the speed the voltage going lower 2.3v but no linear correlation.

best regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Can you remove the other electronics entirely and connect a 9V battery across VFD GND and VFD IN? You will then need to repeat the same test and measure the voltage out between VFD OUT and VFD GND. This will help us see if the problem is with the G540 itself.

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dear Marcus

i put 9V (9.16V) battery

and i measured the VFD OUT it react according to the PWM ratio:

100% - 8.96V
    75% - 7.7V
    50%- 4.5V

but when i am connecting the HX-WS400 5V to GECKO 540 the 100% is 4.2V (speed 10500)

When i connect the potentiometer directly to HX-WS400 5V i am recieving 5V between VR and GNS and the speed is 12000.

from some reason the 5v output from the HX-WS400 to G540 decreasing. i dont know how to keep it higher.

BEST REGARDS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dear Marcus good morning.

i connect an external power supply (vary one)to VFD 10V terminal and i change the voltage till i got 5v between VR and GND at my HX-WS400. I disconnect the power supply and i measured the voltage between VFD(10V) and GND and i got 5.97V (when the HX-WS400 not connected), meaning to have 5V (12000 rpm) in my HX-WS400(VR terminal to GND) i need to supply 5.97V to the G540. means that the G540 consuming arround 1V. the problem now when i am changing the PWM ratio to 50% i am receaving 6600 rpm instead of 6000 rpm.
    Again the VFD Output is connected to my VR terminal, GND to GND and VFD 10V to 5.97V power supply.
    what do u think?
    Best Regards