Difference between G320 (legacy) and G320X

Thread: Difference between G320 (legacy) and G320X

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Difference between G320 (legacy) and G320X

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between the legacy G320 and the newer G320X servo drivers? My new (to me) mill had one of the G320s replaced with a G320x and I am wondering if it is worthwhile changing them all to the 320x's.

Also looking at swapping out the software driven (Parallel port non-FPGA) with a newer MESA 7i76E or if the hardware stepping is even worth it. The machine works as is but I am curious at what the advantages are of upgrading.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Difference between G320 (legacy) and G320X

Hey, sorry for missing this when it was posted. The G320X is designed to be a drop in replacement for the G320 with one caveat: its encode failure detection may trip with older encoders (mainly HEDS type) and we recommend updating your encoder to either an EM1 optical head or using the AMT102-V from CUI. The G320X is an upgrade from the original G320 - it has an adjustable PID loop as opposed to just DAMP and GAIN, it has adjustable following errors, and it has multiple GAIN settings for higher line count encoders. If you ever have a question about replacing one of our drives or updating your system please feel free to give us a call at (714) 832-8874 or shooting me an email at geckomarcus@geckodrive.com and I would be happy to help you.

We do still manufacture the G320 for customers that want to replace a like-for-like drive and medical customers that cannot easily recertify their machines for a new motor control.

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can handle the electronics, you can use HEDS encoders with the G320X quite happily. I put some 74HC14 buffers between the encoder and the 320X, and that worked well. Then I put some H11L1 optical isolators between the 74HC14 and the 320X, just to be sure there were no ground loops. That was probably serious overkill, but the chips are cheap. The G320 and the G320X are the bees knees.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Roger,

That is one hundred percent correct. The HEDS can be used if you put a line driver on there, but those CUI encoders are so cheap it is often not worth the hassle to track down or build a line driver. With that said, some of the expensive HEDS encoders are worth putting one on there.

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Downloads
    Uploads

You can buy line drivers from cnc4pc for less then 10$.

Ben

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Marcus

I first used HEDS encoders on some DC motors I used on a robot system about 30-40 years ago, and they worked fine back then. If I remember correctly, I put differential line drivers in within about 100 mm of the HEDS. On my present CNC machine, which I bought 2nd hand, the DC servo motors already had HEDS encoders on them - but the machine (twin-spindle mill) was not new - just unused for 10-20 years. Yes, it would be nice if 'they' upgraded the HEDS to have proper driven outputs instead of the passive pull-ups. Oh well ...

The motor drivers on my mill when I bought it died, so I replaced them with G320X units from Homann.

Cheers
    Roger