Need Help! Help with G540 outputs

Thread: Help with G540 outputs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with G540 outputs

I'm trying to get the outputs on my G540 setup with a relay to control a router but I'm running issues. Attached is a sketch of how its wired up.

Without the relay wired and linuxcnc set to spindle off i measure 0 volts between the +5 volts on my power supply and Pin 5. Turning on the spindle in linuxcnc the voltage goes to 5 volts. So I'm assuming linuxcnc is setup correctly and my parallel cable works.

When i connect the ground side of the relay to the power supply ground it turns on. So I'm assuming the relay is good.

Heres my problem, when I connect the ground of the relay to pin 5 and turn on the spindle in linuxcnc nothing happens. Measuring the voltage between the +5 on the power supply and pin 5 on the gecko i get about 3 volts, rather the 5v i would expect. It seems like the gecko is not fully going to ground.

Any ideas? I'm not an electrical guy so it very well could be an operator error.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with G540 outputs-relay-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with G540 outputs

T R,

If you post several images of the relay and associated wiring it would help us determine what is wrong also post relay and 5 volt power supply specs.

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by that_rat View Post
    I'm trying to get the outputs on my G540 setup with a relay to control a router but I'm running issues. Attached is a sketch of how its wired up.

Without the relay wired and linuxcnc set to spindle off i measure 0 volts between the +5 volts on my power supply and Pin 5. Turning on the spindle in linuxcnc the voltage goes to 5 volts. So I'm assuming linuxcnc is setup correctly and my parallel cable works.

When i connect the ground side of the relay to the power supply ground it turns on. So I'm assuming the relay is good.

Heres my problem, when I connect the ground of the relay to pin 5 and turn on the spindle in linuxcnc nothing happens. Measuring the voltage between the +5 on the power supply and pin 5 on the gecko i get about 3 volts, rather the 5v i would expect. It seems like the gecko is not fully going to ground.

Any ideas? I'm not an electrical guy so it very well could be an operator error.

Thanks

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with G540 outputs

The relay board is from buildyourcnc, the actual relay is Omron G2RL-14. the 5V power supply is rated for 300mA.

Sorry I have temporary setup so my wiring is a mess.

I have tried replacing the relay with 5v light. It turns on and off with the control but is very dimly lit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with G540 outputs-20180421_204542-copy-jpg   Help with G540 outputs-20180421_204715-copy-jpg   Help with G540 outputs-20180421_210250-copy-jpg