Stepper motor makes chirp noise after jog, then g540 faults

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stepper motor makes chirp noise after jog, then g540 faults

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper motor makes chirp noise after jog, then g540 faults

Hey guys, really strange issue. Brand new g540, 48v power supply, mach3, uc100, 300oz nema 23s.
    Right now my setup is very simple for testing. Just positive and negative leads from power supply to g540 and jumper from pin 10 to 12. Uc100 for connection to mach3 on windows 10. Motors plugged in, not bolted to my machine. Everything powers up like normal, motors move properly and sound good. Sometimes when jogging, there is a chirp/screech noise that comes from the steppers right after I release the jog arrow and motor comes to a stop. Sometimes this triggers a fault on the g540. Cycle power to g540 and fault clears. motors move normal again until a fault triggers again. This happens with all 4 motors and all 4 ports of the g540. I am 100% sure my db9s are soldered correctly with the proper resistor soldered across pin 1 and 5.
    To be more specific about the chirp/screech, I can hold down the jog button as long as I want and motor moves fine, once I release the jog key the motor stops, then about a second later it makes a chirp noise and sometimes g540 faults. Weird thing is, once the drive and motors heat up a bit, it no longer faults but still makes the chirp noise. I am set to metric with 400 steps per unit (1605 screws) with a conservative velocity of 2000mm per minute and 100 acceleration. Changing this up or down makes no difference to the problem.
    This is still running on demo version of mach3 but I have purchased the license and just waiting on them to send it. Kind of doubt that will fix the problem but just want to eliminate any possibilities.
    Any idea what could cause this other than a faulty g540? Really gonna be bummed if I have to send it off and wait weeks to get my machine going.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper motor makes chirp noise after jog, then g540 faults

Ok, license installed, no change. Ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Also here's a video

Downloads
    Uploads

That is strange.
    First thing I'd try is play with the acceleration (higher and lower) and see if it still does it?

Have you adjusted the trimpot as described in the manual? Try that.

If neither helps, try bolting the motor to something. Sometimes a motor lying on a table can have bad resonance issues.

Lastly, call or email Gecko.

The manual doesn't really say what can actually cause a fault, so it's hard to say.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Try increasing your deceleration times, if the motor is stopped too quickly it will back feed a voltage to your amplifier, if this voltage is too high it could cause it to trip out. When it is fitted to the machine the drag and resistance of the machine will help slow it down. As the motor heats up the winding resistance can go up and reduce the back feed somewhat thus masking the problem, hope that helps you, Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

have you tried the motor on another axis or testing another motor ????

not all switch mode power supplies are equal especially when powering stepper drivers with " chopper" motor current control
    copies of meanwell switch mode power supplies can have poor regulation and trip the G540's protection circuit

Gecko are having more customers having problems with switch mode power supplies its worth having them help you test the G540 before returning it for testing or replacement

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, to answer your questions, yes I have tried 4 different motors, and all 4 ports on the gecko. Same results for all. I have also tried a full range of adjustment on the trim pot as well as a very large range of velocity and acceleration down to very slow, same results. I have also tried hooking a motor to my y axis, same result.
    The one thing I have not tried is another power supply. I do have a 12v and 24v power supply I can hook up to check. Although they are retired server psu's that I use for my lipo charger so not sure if they will be a great choice either. Worth a shot I guess

Downloads
    Uploads

Try the 24V supply and see what happens.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Try the 24V supply and see what happens.
    Sounds good, will do. I guess just for the hell of it I can first try dialing the pot on my 48v supply all the way down. Maybe it's sitting a bit high right now and back feeding just enough voltage to go over the g540's limit. I'll do that first, then try the 24v

Downloads
    Uploads

Tried the 24v power supply, no difference. Gotta be a defective drive, bummer. I'll email gecko.

Downloads
    Uploads

This sounds like it could be a couple different things. What is the current rating of your power supply? And what gauge wires are you using for your motor?

I am not entirely sure what that chirp sound is but I think it is strange that it happens only after a movement. You mention that it disappears after the motor and the drive warm up; can you try running a motor so the G540 warms up and then replacing it with a room temperature motor? That way you will be running a cool motor with a warm drive and we can see if it continues to fault that way. If it does then it sounds like it could be a motor problem, and I am leaning toward undersized wires being the culprit.

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    This sounds like it could be a couple different things. What is the current rating of your power supply? And what gauge wires are you using for your motor?

I am not entirely sure what that chirp sound is but I think it is strange that it happens only after a movement. You mention that it disappears after the motor and the drive warm up; can you try running a motor so the G540 warms up and then replacing it with a room temperature motor? That way you will be running a cool motor with a warm drive and we can see if it continues to fault that way. If it does then it sounds like it could be a motor problem, and I am leaning toward undersized wires being the culprit.
    That's a good idea, I can pinpoint which component heating up stops the faults. Although I very much doubt it's a problem with the motors or motor wiring. The guy that sells them commonly pairs them with the g540 and his cables in packages. He's never seen the problem before.

My 48v psu is 12.5a, my 24v psu is 40a, 14ga wire. Same results with both. Also just to clarify, the chirping does not stop once it heats up, just the faults stop

As you probably know, the g540 has a current reduction feature that kicks in right as motors become idle. To me it seems somehow directly related to that since it happens right as the motor becomes idle

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you guys think it's at all possible this could be a uc100 problem? If it is possible, I can pick up an old xp pc from a friend's house and buy a parallel cable to test with. Is it worth testing?

Emailed gecko on Sunday but no response yet

Downloads
    Uploads

Gecko is CoAMarcus, who replied above.

I wouldn't think it could be the UC100, as all it does is send step pulses to the Gecko.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh ok. CoAMarkus, tried swapping to a cool motor after heating. No difference. Faults going away after heating is related to the drive.

Answered your other questions in my other post yesterday.

Also to be more specific about the motor wiring, I don't know exactly what gauge is coming out of the motor but I soldered the db9 directly to that and tried plugging into the g540 with and without my 13ft cables in between, so definitely not a cable issue.

Last edited by QuinnSjoblom; 02-06-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. That is super weird that it is doing that, and I have one last thing to try. Can you try connecting a large capacitor (around 10,000uF) in parallel with the DC input to the drive? I wonder if this could be an artifact of the power supply switching.

You can also send the G540 back so we can take a look at it. Just click the link below and fill out the form to receive an RMA number.

Product Returns | GeckoDrive

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. That is super weird that it is doing that, and I have one last thing to try. Can you try connecting a large capacitor (around 10,000uF) in parallel with the DC input to the drive? I wonder if this could be an artifact of the power supply switching.

You can also send the G540 back so we can take a look at it. Just click the link below and fill out the form to receive an RMA number.

Product Returns | GeckoDrive
    Hey markus. I thought for sure this was narrowed down to a bad drive so I went ahead and ordered a new one from you a couple days ago to get things moving, hoping I would be able to send the defective one back for a refund. arrived today, problem continues. So obviously I don't have 2 drives with exactly the same problem. I'm really out of ideas.

I've tried 2 separate power supplies (24v and 48v) with the same results. Do you still think a capacitor is worth trying? I don't have one on hand, all I have is a bunch of 10v 4700uf so I'm assuming I can't make those work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    Hey markus. I thought for sure this was narrowed down to a bad drive so I went ahead and ordered a new one from you a couple days ago to get things moving, hoping I would be able to send the defective one back for a refund. arrived today, problem continues. So obviously I don't have 2 drives with exactly the same problem. I'm really out of ideas.

I've tried 2 separate power supplies (24v and 48v) with the same results. Do you still think a capacitor is worth trying? I don't have one on hand, all I have is a bunch of 10v 4700uf so I'm assuming I can't make those work.
    Yeah, I think the capacitor is worth trying on this. Shoot me an email with your address to geckomarcus@geckodrive.com and I'll have the office mail one out to you on Monday. I've got tons of caps just sitting around, and there's no need for you to pay the Digi-Key price gouge for a single capacitor. Hopefully that'll take care of the problem, and if it doesn't we can at least eliminate that as a possibility.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a thought

did you test the G540 with only one motor connected ?
    if so try with 2 or 3 motors connected

it could be the returned energy as the motor stops is unsettling the power supplies voltage regulation circuit
    and transient supply voltage changes could be tripping the G540 protection circuit
    which is what the capacitor across the supply helps to smooth out

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    Just a thought

did you test the G540 with only one motor connected ?
    if so try with 2 or 3 motors connected

it could be the returned energy as the motor stops is unsettling the power supplies voltage regulation circuit
    and transient supply voltage changes could be tripping the G540 protection circuit
    which is what the capacitor across the supply helps to smooth out

John
    Yes, I also tried with all 4 motors attached, no difference. Capacitor is next thing to try, markus is sending me one, but I'll be surprised if it fixes it since I've already tried 2 different power supplies with the same results. It seems that no one has ever seen this problem and I very much doubt that I have the only 2 completeky different power supplies that have ever caused this problem with the g540. Just seems extremely unlikely. Only other explanation i can think of that would cause this problem with both of my power supplies is if gecko recently had a change in component supplier this year. Both of the g540's I've tried are from 2018. Maybe a new brand of component is causing issues or something. Also very unlikely, just seems to be no explanation for this.

The only other component left to swap us the uc100, but everyone is saying that it really couldn't be causing the issue. If the capacitor doesn't fix it, I'll have to try the uc100. If that doesn't work, it means I either have 2 g540's with exactly the same issue, or 4 motors with the same issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast