Need Help! Wiring scematic is confussing. Can someone help me please?

Thread: Wiring scematic is confussing. Can someone help me please?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wiring scematic is confussing. Can someone help me please?

Hi all,
    I'm having trouble understanding some wiring information. Its probably simple for someone clued up on electronics but that isn't me.

The problem (for me) is knowing what X represents. Whoever drew the diagram above didn't consider someone reading it who works in absolutes needs to know what the creator intended X to represent. Are all the connections ending in X meant to connect to pin 25 of the parallel port or some other point? Pin 25 is not described in any of the pinouts I have. I know when I was shifting control of the spindle to software, I put a wire from the VFD into A axis GND which is 24 volt DC negative. Is GND and DC Negative the same thing? Do I connect A,Y and Z Axis connector pins 2 and 4 to 12 Volt DC negative or screw an earth wire from the 240 Volt AC power supply into the chassis and hook them to earth or ground them?

Thanks for any help.
    Ryadia

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring scematic is confussing. Can someone help me please?-g540-wiring-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wiring scematic is confussing. Can someone help me please?

In the Normal course of things the X means there is no connection at this point.
    As to the GND and DC negative, generally it is the same thing, the problem is that the term GND is often used for power common as well as earth ground, I prefer to use common then there is less confusion.
    Just you may see the earth symbol used in many schematics to indicate DC common which can also lead to confusion.
    Al.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring scematic is confussing. Can someone help me please?-gndsymb-copy-jpg   Wiring scematic is confussing. Can someone help me please?-groundobjects-jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: Wiring scematic is confussing. Can someone help me please?

Thanks Al...
    I think I can understand your illustrations a lot better than those from the University graduate who gave me the Gecko wiring diagram.
    I guess I'll just have to wait and hope. A new behavior setting up a CNC devise has taught me.
    Problem with where I live is until recently it was all market gardeners and fishermen. Their sons and daughters are now or soon will be lawyers and Doctors. The way of the world I guess.

They call us Banana benders
    Did I put enough a's in there?

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are connecting the Masso to your G540, you don't need or want to use that schematic.
    Or, are you connecting your existing electronics to the Masso?

Or is that a diagram FOR connecting a G540 to the Masso?
    If so, then as Al said, the "X"'s are left unconnected, as they are probably tied to the DC ground elsewhere.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If that is the 9 pin D connectors for a G540 then the manual shows N/C (no connection) for 2.3.4.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess the engineer (and I use this term loosely) who drew this diagram (it is a diagram, not a schematic) was suffering from OCD and could not leave those pins unconnected.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you are connecting the Masso to your G540, you don't need or want to use that schematic.
    Or, are you connecting your existing electronics to the Masso?

Or is that a diagram FOR connecting a G540 to the Masso?
    If so, then as Al said, the "X"'s are left unconnected, as they are probably tied to the DC ground elsewhere.
    That diagram (I'm told) is identical to what is needed to connect a Masso to the Chinese black box that comes with 75x45 CM routers. All I've done as far as Gecko G540 goes is order some. I'm told by an Helpful guy here that its the Toshiba chips on the controller board (which is not a counterfeit BTW) that can't handle the heat. Seemingly you can fix the steppers skipping around by force cooling those chips. I choose to get rid of them and use Gecko controllers. Otherwise...

I'm following instructions (always a bad idea) from the manufacture of Masso. Originally I thought this devise would replace entirely the need to use Chinese Electronics. It doesn't. I'm aware now that this Masso is an embedded Linux thing with a program (software) written by the guy who makes them. It absolutely needs to have Stepper drivers and a VFD as an absolute minimum. By taking the easy route (his suggestion) and simply using the parallel port on the Black box to wire in to the Masso like the drawing says, supposedly it will all work. It doesn't.

What isn't said in any advertising is that I also need to connect the Estop or the Masso simply doesn't send signals to the gantry. Herein lies the devil in the detail. No instructions. I've offered in exchange for him getting this thing running, to write him cohesive illustrated instructions on how to do all this, once I know what to do. I'm a photo-journalist in my last life. Anyway... What fooled me into thinking I needed to find extra connections for the Axis control was a video by someone telling everyone his biggest pain with machines was the "old clunker PCs" he had to use and the Masso was the greatest thing since sliced bread. His wiring showed a mess any crow would be proud of with 4 wires going into each Axis connection. It wasn't until I watched his ramblings again that I realize he didn't have a spindle for his half built machine! This is thepenality of trying to find information that should be provided by the manufacturer... Sort of like buying a Chinese machine.

My biggest problem now is how to connect the Estop with 3 wires all the same colour to the Masso that says" estop 1, Estop 2. I believe it will again work. I've had this thing working for most of a day. Switching it off was my downfall. Its rebooted with the Estop light flashing which disables everything until I stop it flashing. I followed instructions last time and shut it up with a 2 key, keyboard command. Do you think I can remember what that was?

There are no written or video instructions on how to do any of this. It seems that I am customer #2 who has gone this route with a Chinese CNC router. The hour and a half session on the phone I had on Friday was only to transfer control of the spindle to the Masso. More detail devils here. He knew intimately every keyboard shortcut and fired them off to me like a Sheriff and a gunfighter. None of this appears to be documented anywhere. Sure there is some limited keyboard functions listed on his website but nothing you can take home with you and start using the keyboard. I don't think we (any of us) realize how much we rely on a mouse. There is no mouse functionality with the Masso. If these problems don't get overcome, I'll go back to using a computer and the Chinese Black Box with Gecko controller. Talk about more money than sense. For what this has cost me so far I could have bought a real CNC router instead of a Chinese imitation of one.

Ryadia

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah... Got that one thanks Al.

Downloads
    Uploads

From my experience coming from industrial CNC systems regarding the E-Stop circuit, is that most CNC DIY systems are made up of components obtained from different sources, so in respect of any E-Stop in a system, every contributor has there own idea or instruction as to implement the said E-Stop.
    The result is a mish-mash of circuits that often require some deciphering and wrong interpretation and implementing.
    For many many decades, the simple series string of included conditions with the final result of a control relay to terminate any and all motion/motorized devices served well as a simple answer.
    Now there are other devices such as Safety Relays, mandatory is some jurisdictions in EU etc.
    But the series circuit and control relay is still the optimum minimum IMO.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Al,
    How's it all going for you?
    For me? Well I just opened up the black box and used a trusty multi-meter to discover which terminals on the Estop button were live 240 volt and which were just making and releasing contact. The Estop switch is a normally open (as in current flowing when not switched off) affair so determining which terminal sent a signal and which didn't was relatively easy. Then discovering those signal wires terminated at the Parallel port, all I had to do was find which pins they represent and Bob's your uncle.

Well not even related to me actually. So pins 16 and 17 are Estop signal pins. I haven't a clue which one is Estop 1 or 2 but seeing as one is permanently on and the other only comes active when the Estop switch is released, all I need to do is swap them around if I don't get the required result. Only took me 3 hours to figure all that out! Who pays for that time? The joker who sold me the thing and didn't provide a wiring diagram or me? Your guess is right! I'm the sucker who bought it!

At the rate I'm going now the thousands of pieces of LEDs and transformers I imported to use with my illuminated signs will probably be obsolete by the time I get the first one engraved! I know what I'll be doing for future CNC machines I get or build Most likely build now I know how they need to be. Masso won't be part of it unless somehow a mouse starts to magically start running over the screen. I still haven't got a set of keystrokes to make this thing function properly and there's no help menu. If I hadn't paid god money for it I'd swear it's a Beta version. Masso on-screen instructions say to "press the button" to stop the Estop light flashing and rendering the whole shebang useless. How many buttons are on a keyboard? Support seems to have dried up since I refused to cough up another $150 to send my Router to Sydney in the Hope(?) it will come back functional.

I don't suppose anyone can flip me a set of keystrokes for one of these things? Hmm. Please! Just maybe Mach3 keyboard shortcuts will work or is that expecting too much?

Ryadia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Ryadia,
    I must admit you have got me worried as I have just ordered (and paid for$$$$$) one of the Masso units just a couple of days ago!
    So in response to your post I went looking for all the information you talked about....
    I’m guessing you have already sorted out your problems because of no further posts about the Masso,
    Anyway long story short what I found was all on the Masso web site, down the left hand side under the headings, as for a schematic I think what he has done is worked through each step one at a time so you have to sit and read the lot nearly...
    I hope you have got it working cause I’m still waiting for the item to turn up and I am sweating buckets that it works cause I have been chasing is#ues with my setup for nearly two years now and finally bit the bullet to spend some serious coin on what I thought was going to be the answer to all of my problems.
    wish me luck
    Cheers
    sh1224