Axis randomly stop working

Thread: Axis randomly stop working

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Axis randomly stop working

I've been having some random issues with my axis' that I have not been able to pin down yet. I can jog around all day and night with no apparent issues, but when I run some g-code one of the motors will stop working. It is usually the slave axis, but I have also had the z-axis stop working. Once I restart Mach3 usually everything works fine again...until I run more g-code. I've ran a few jobs successfully without issue, but most have not been so fortunate. Sometime they stop working at the very beginning of a cut or sometime in the middle.

My setup:
    • CNCRP Pro Machine
    • Mach3 2010 Screenset
    • PMDX-126 BOB
    • PMDX-134
    • G203V Drivers
    • ESS
    • Huanyang 2.2kw Spindle & VFD

I've rechecked wiring and everything looks fine. I don't believe it's a mechanical issue (I've put loctite on all my pulleys I swear!), mainly because it jogs fine once Mach3 is restarted. I'm at a loss of what to do at this point, so any help is greatly appreciated. If I can supply any other information or answer any questions to get to the bottom of this, I'm happy to do so!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ger21; 12-23-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Axis randomly stop working

Do the DRO's keep counting when the motor stops? Does the motor make any noise at all, like it's stalling, or just stop?
    Any ESS errors?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry,

Yes, the DRO's keep counting when the motor stops. Even once I stop the machine and attempt to jog, the motor doesn't turn and DRO keeps counting.

The motor doesn't seem to make any noticeable noise once it stops working, just helplessly sits there being dragged by the other motor (if slaved axis is the one that stops working).

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I imagine I would see errors in the form of a pop-up or in the MDI? If that is the case, I have not seen any errors, including from the ESS.

From reading another reply about a similar issue, I also ran the driver test in the Mach3 folder. I don't entirely know what this does, but it said it was excellent during the test. I have not had an opportunity to run a job since doing so. I've also attempted to star ground everything possible, but admittedly this is my first time wiring anything like this and so there is always potential for error. I'm not sure if noise could even be a culprit here.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your using the ESS, then Mach3 doesn't use the parallel port driver, so the Driver Test has nothing to do with your system.

My guess would be either the ESS, or perhaps a bad connection to the drives?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry,

Thanks for your help. I will check my connections again. Perhaps, I'll contact Steve at PMDX, as all my drivers are connected using the PMDX-134. I'll dive more into the ESS and see if something is amiss, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A little more insight into the issue. I noticed every time I start a program a random G203v or two will show a red (error) light. G203v manual states errors are caused:

1) During power-on reset for 1 second when power is first applied to the G203V.
    2) While the DISABLE input is active.
    3) When there is a short-circuit on any motor output. Momentarily activate the DISABLE input to reset.
    4) During over-temperature shutdown. The LED automatically resets when the drive temperature drops.

Number 1 isn't the case. Number 2: I changed my JP4 to off on my PMDX-126, so it shouldn't be supplying 5v to the PMDX-134 for the motor disable. 3) Most likely the candidate, but I'm not sure how this would be happening. Number 4 can't be the issue, I have a large heat sink, thermal compound, and they are cool to the touch.

I'm running Nema 34, 7A motors off a 72v Antek toroidal power supply. Accordingly, I don't have any resistors for the G203v because the calculation from Gecko made it seem like I didn't need one. I also ran these test with the spindle off, so I can eliminate noise gremlins as the issue. I also don't believe the ESS or Mach3 has anything to do with it. So I apologize that this is probably no longer in the right section, but I also still would love any help anyone could provide. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Any luck fixing your problem?