G Weike LG900N laser head cannot move left

Thread: G Weike LG900N laser head cannot move left

Downloads
    Uploads

Angry G Weike LG900N laser head cannot move left

Hello, I purchased a G Weike LG900N 80W CO2 laser cutter ~1.5 years ago, and it has worked great at mostly light usage, until now.

But recently it developed this horrifying problem: the laser head sometimes loses the ability to go left. When I press the "move left" button, it goes right instead. Same thing when it tries to cut. When I first power it on and it tries to home itself, it just winds up banging onto the rightmost rail with a scary "BANG BANG BANG" sound, until I reset it.

I thought perhaps the X axis stepper motor was bad, and replaced it, but that did not fix it. Same problem.

I thought the problem was maybe caused by heat, because it would get into this state after quite a while (maybe an hour) of usage, and sometimes turning it off, letting it cool, and then on again, might fix it. But it's been off for days now, and I turned it back on and the same problem is there.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Could it maybe be a loose wire? How do these stepper motors know which direction to step in, when commanded? (Like which wires get which volts?) Or maybe a short circuit in the control panel (the board that has the buttons that I press)?

Any suggestions on how to debug or fix it? I could try replacing the whole control board, which seems to be on the lower back of the machine. I'll try to get its exact part number.

Thanks!

Mike

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G Weike LG900N laser head cannot move left

I took pictures of the controller (RDC6442S-B(EC)) and the X/Y/Z drivers (not sure what part number they are, but they have big black heat sinks on them), and attached here.

I think I will just try to replace that controller first, and if that fails, the drivers.

I found a newer Ruida controller, the RDC6445G, on Amazon. Do you think I could just upgrade to that newer controller as long as I can physically mount it in the machine, along with its control panel? Or should I try to find precisely the right model?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G Weike LG900N laser head cannot move left-controller-jpeg   G Weike LG900N laser head cannot move left-drivers-jpeg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Pin 1 off your controller is X direction
    Looks like it has an LED showing state to help know what signal comes from the controller. Left on or off and right the opposite.
    I would remove and reinstall that connector at both ends.
    So the signal out of the controller is 5 volts. It connects to a stepper driver that drives the stepper motor. Loose wires at to stepper wouldn’t show up as a direction change.
    Most likely the problem is in the pin1 wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    Pin 1 off your controller is X direction
    Looks like it has an LED showing state to help know what signal comes from the controller. Left on or off and right the opposite.
    I would remove and reinstall that connector at both ends.
    So the signal out of the controller is 5 volts. It connects to a stepper driver that drives the stepper motor. Loose wires at to stepper wouldn’t show up as a direction change.
    Most likely the problem is in the pin1 wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow!!! You nailed it!!! That precise pin (pin 1 coming out of the controller) was not firmly screwed down, just sort of loosely touching. So I guess heat and vibration over time sort of shook it a bit loose. It's a miracle it worked at all for the past 1.5 years

Thank you, back in business! And those LEDs will prove helpful for future debugging.

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating issue with your G Weike laser cutter. Have you considered exploring Monport laser machines as an alternative? Monport lasers are known for their reliability and ease of use, offering high-quality performance at an affordable price point. You can check out Monport laser products at https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3 and see if they might be a better fit for your needs.