One G-Rex, multiple machines (though not at once!)

Thread: One G-Rex, multiple machines (though not at once!)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default One G-Rex, multiple machines (though not at once!)

Hi everyone, I have a question about using a G-Rex to a typical home CNC environment. How feasible is it to have multiple machines (a lathe and a mill, to start) with dedicated Geckodrives, but have it set up so a single G-Rex could be connected to one machine or the other?

From my inexperienced vantage point, it appears to me that the Geckodrives are tuned for each motor, but the GRex has no definite relation like that. Have I got this right?

Barring any major obstacles, I figure connecting to one machine or the other would mean perhaps 8-10 multipin connectors, two per axis (so that signal and power lines can be separated and better shielded), and extras for coolant pump, enclosure switches, etc. I think the simplicity, reliability, and ability to add a second GRex (budget permitting) would outweigh the need to swap connectors.

Scheming aside, how well would this work? Any flat-out showstoppers?

Jim

Similar Threads:
    No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

What are you going to control the G100 with? If Mach3, then the Smoothstepper would be a better choice than the G100.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I confess to being in lust with OneCNC XR3. I figure I might as well spend the money once, rather than twice. It is likely overkill, but it does do some pretty amazing things.

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

OnceCNC is CAM software, it doesn't control your machine. I believe that mach3 is the only software available capable of controlling a machine via the G100, unless you right your own software. The problem is that Mach3 development for the G100 stopped a few years ago without being 100% completed.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Keling has the Smooth Stepper:

http://kelinginc.net/BreakoutBoards.html

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I read in meahmate forum, but I forget the thread. Somebody download new g100 driver and new mach3, so that he can run 2 servo motors in one axis simultaneously.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So let me see if I have this straight:

To play to their strengths, it is more or less a choice between:

A. CAD s/w of choice -> Mach3 -> Smoothstepper -> Geckodrives -> Steppers -> Leadscrews + something else for I/O, or

B. CAD c/w -> OneCNC -> something like Mach3? -> G-Rex -> Geckodrives -> Servos -> Ballscrews.

The first is simple, cheaper, and proven; the second being notably more expensive, but possibly faster and more feature-rich? I'd rather ask questions now than end up buying the right stuff the second time rather than the first.

I can tolerate the idea of finding an XP license somewhere; I use Linux (64-bit Ubuntu 8.10) on both of my computers, although I've used XP extensively. So the software platform isn't a restriction for me. I don't mind fabricating power supplies, wiring etc either. I guess I just need a little guidance into what works together the best.

Thank you for all the replies already, and I'd appreciate any further insight you could offer.

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't see any reason for you to use EITHER a G100 or a Smooth Stepper. Unless you are planning to run more than 4 Axes, or do not HAVE a parallel port on your computer.

A pair of ordinary Break out boards should do. You could then simply run the parallel cable from your computer to a DB-25 A-B switch. From that would exit TWO parallel cables, one to the mill and one to the lathe. That would allow switching the COMPUTER from one machine to another. Mach3 would run different profiles for the mill and lathe.

What size mill and lathe are you thinking of? You might even be able to use a G540 for each.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by youngjim View Post
    So let me see if I have this straight:

To play to their strengths, it is more or less a choice between:

A. CAD s/w of choice -> Mach3 -> Smoothstepper -> Geckodrives -> Steppers -> Leadscrews + something else for I/O, or

B. CAD c/w -> OneCNC -> something like Mach3? -> G-Rex -> Geckodrives -> Servos -> Ballscrews.

The first is simple, cheaper, and proven; the second being notably more expensive, but possibly faster and more feature-rich?
    Not really a choice just between A and B. There are an infinite number of combinations to choose from.

As was mentioned, you may not need either a G100 or a Smoothstepper. Most recent PC's (with a parallel port, or at least a PCI parallel port card) can run Mach3 just fine. You can also use EMC under linux with a parallel port.

Why did you want to use the G100 anyway?

As for your original question, if you use a parallel port, a $5 printer switch box would let you use one PC to run two machines. (Not at the same time of course).

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default More questions!

Right now I want a G0602 lathe, and probably an X3-pattern mill, although getting either out here in the boonies will be a challenge, no doubt. I should explain a little bit of my thinking about the electronics:

The idea with a G-Rex, servos, and ballscrews was to go for (ethernet rather than parallel port) performance and expandability to a 4th and eventually 5th axis for the mill, and an ATC or live tooling for the lathe. Maybe even a drive servo for the spindle for turning polygons...

If was to go with steppers and leadscrews, the machine would be slower, but it would be substantially cheaper. If I did that then I'd simply build a PC for each of them, they're dirt-cheap these days. I know I could mix and match (servos for leadscrews, etc.) but I'd prefer to either spend the money on a balanced set of high-performance parts, or on a set of lower-cost parts rather than end up with an inefficient hodgepodge.

I read a thread in the yahoo gecko group to the effect that the G-Rex won't be developed any further. If this is the case then making a part looks like this, I think:

Some manner of CAD app (possibly T-Flex) eventually,
    OneCNC for basic CAD and CAM (eventually, and before I bother with T-Flex),
    Mach3,
    Possibly a Smoothstepper to get away from parallel port timing limitations (worth it?),
    Drives,
    Motors,
    Leadscrews/Ballscrews.

My overall intention is here is to gain the capability to make useful parts. I enjoy the idea of putting things (i.e. the retrofit kit) together myself, and I am inspired by all the mods and special tools people have come up with, but at the end of the day I want a reliable means of going from an idea to a part. I don't mind spending the time and money to get the right parts, but I want to start from a properly tuned machine and work out from there.

For instance, if I have the choice between lead and ballscrews, then I'd get ballscrews; might as well make it the best it can be the first time. Ditto the servos, if it is a matter of choosing from Gecko's catalog. After that, Mach3 is good (and cheap) enough that I don't have to think about that one, although I won't buy it until I try EMC2.

So I think I'm getting closer to a plan that looks like this:

Get the mill & lathe first, probably at the same time if I have to drive a day and a half each way to get them. Then a basically useful set of workholding tools, cutters, measuring tools, etc. After that, start on the CNC parts. I'm ok with buying a kit (CNCFusion's for instance) because any money I'd save in buying parts individually I'd burn up probably twice over on shipping and fees. (!)

I've got some time to plan this properly, and I know enough to know that I don't know nearly enough yet!

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

With all the money you'll be spending, it makes no sense not to have 2 PC's. Especially when there are hundreds of capable used PC's on Ebay for $100 or less.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Of course, you already HAVE the Novakon NM-135 in Canada. It is a superior mill to X3 and available CNC ready WITH motors and stand for $3600. You could add Gecko electronics for about $800 more.

This would be an even better deal if they would sell it WITHOUT the stand.

http://novakon.net/3.html

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CR,

Thank you for the replies. Machinetoolwarehouse has them, but the prices are high and they're on the other side of the country from me. If I was going to get a machine from them I'd probably spend the extra on a Super X3 and probably a bigger lathe, too. I note on Novakon's site that a college which is close enough to me uses their machines, so they might have a line on getting such things without getting the bone at the border.

The great thing about having some time to save up some money for this is that is gives me the time to plan it, too. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one on Kijiji.

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This just in: It appear there is a dealer about an hour from me who carries RF-25 clones. They're a bit more money than an X3, but I'll save it in GST and shipping. I found a thread covering the conversion, so that might be one hurdle down and a thousand to go!

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

There are many disadvantages to CNC converting a round column mill. It can be done, if that is what you already have, but I wouldn't BUY one for this. Better to get a dovetail square column mill.

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default One Controller, Multiple Machines

I did something similar to your original question designing a single control box that could be moved to multiple specialized machines. The box has switched 120V outputs to control the spindle and a worklight, stepper motor outputs using 4-pin molex connectors (the same connectors used internally on PCs to supply power to disk drives), and connections to the motor power supply.

As I moved the box from one machine to another, I made a tiny, insignificant change to the motor parameters and re-flashed the GREX. This kept the GREX in calibration for each machine.

I have since purchased a number of used GREX controllers and drives and built a separate box for each machine. Pictures are attached.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One G-Rex, multiple machines (though not at once!)-dscn1406-jpg   One G-Rex, multiple machines (though not at once!)-dscn1408-jpg   One G-Rex, multiple machines (though not at once!)-dscn1411-jpg   One G-Rex, multiple machines (though not at once!)-dscn1413-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CR,

Good to know! I saw the Novakon NM-135 you mentioned, and I got about 1/3 of the way into the one video google could find before Firefox turned blue. It looks like a good piece of kit, and it is on the right side of the border for once in my life. The 4mm pitch ballscrews make the math a bit funny, but do you have an opinion of how it would be to buy one of these without the electronics, and then go the Mach3 route via a parallel card, and possibly a CNCBrain once that matures? I don't mind running wire, and I've built enough computers that I can have some limited confidence in doing that part.

How would you compare this to an X3-pattern mill? Is this a solid enough investment that it would be worth the cost of servos to get higher performance from it? I like the idea (greatly) of a 6000 RPM spindle, as a lot of what I plan to make is small and of aluminum. Also, on this scale the shipping would be worth it. I'd still have to pull it apart to get it down the stairs (it wouldn't match my living room decor :P) but it would have to come apart to get properly cleaned of all the shipping grease anyway, no?

A million questions, but I do listen to the answers; it is the least I can do if someone is going to take the time.

Jim

Last edited by youngjim; 04-13-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Typo, salutation.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Clockwork: I saw that panel on another thread, it looks great! I don't know if I'd mine entirely in lexan, but the idea of using video game controllers is both practical and creative.

Upon thinking it through and reading more, It sounds like the G-Rex has a great deal of potential, but its lack of Mach3 compatibility makes it unsuitable for me for what I want to do. I figured that a re-flash would all that is required to move from one machine to another, and I'm glad to hear that the concept is valid.

I think in the meantime it'll be parallel port -> geckos -> motors for now, and possibly a (smoothstepper/cncbrain/g-rex maybe) in the future.

Thank you for the reply.

Jim