Newbie CNC Rebiuld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Rebiuld

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Rebiuld

Try to keep in mind this is my first attempt at getting into something like this.

first off i have a denford starmill that was given to me because its old electronics are junk basically and do not work. This small machine has a atc on it that supports 3 tools (it is a mini mill), and I was wondering if it is possible to use a g-rex g100 with 3 g212's and some sort of plc (most likely and allen bradly) to control the stepper motors and the atc. I dont have any experience with rebuilding machines, but I do have some in running them, and programming them. I am a Vincennes University student majoring in injection molding and cnc programming. Im going to start investing as soon as i get my tax return, and I want to finish this project to get a better understanding on how a cnc works at it core. I have been trying to find information of this machine for some time now, but denford doesn't have any information on it. I figured it would be my best bet to completely redo all of the electronics. When it is completed I want to be able to have all of the origional functionallity such as the variable speed spindle, and the tool changer all controled through a easy to use interface such as mach 3.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mill refit

Hi Smallss

I converted a Denford Orac lathe with no proir experiance, and its not as daunting as it sounds. The basics as follows, you can use the existing power supply to your motors you need a breakout board like a C11 from CNC4pc and power supply, three drivers from Geeko just match the voltage from supply, you might be able to use current spindle RPM sensor for your speed. Draw out on paper all your wire connections so you understand the process, that will save you frying your electronics, also both suppliers metioned have VG support. The most difficult bit is configureing to Mach, read the manual a few times to get familier with setup.

Good Luck

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

im sorry if this seems like a dumb question but what is VG support?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

VG is short for very good

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Starmill

Have you made any progress with your Starmill ? I have one that I am trying to get to talk to computer, so far no joy. I am definitely going to update the drivers etc but am not sure which route to take.
    Phil.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Denford CNC tools

There are two ways to get old Denford CNC machine tools working, you can fiddle around with origional electronics using Denford site for help, or you junk old electronics, install new and use afordable software such as Mach3, a rout most small users use. Follow steps as in ealier post, if you understand basic electronics wiring up is strait forward, the more complicated part is configuring to Mach, download the online manual, if you get stuck use thier support or this site for assistance. Most satisfing when you get it working.
    Good Luck

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just aquired a Denford Orac, is it possible to control it with mach3 without adding any breakout boards or anything??

Adam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Orac

Adam

As you have probably guessed the answer is NO, the Orac was designed before current PC standards were all logic works on +5V so if you want to control the lathe via Mach you will have to replace the boards.
    Belive me it's not as daunting as it sounds look at previous post for overview

Good Luck

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanx Mike, i guess i will start pulling out the guts, i was playing with it last night, and one of the drivers is bad.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adam

Don't forget to keep the power supply to the stepper motors!!!!

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This thing has a lot of guts, its gonna take some digging for me to figure out what p/s is for the steppers.

I also need some advice for using the stock spindle motor but control it with mach3, i know i need a vfd but thats about all i know

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adam

Before you remove any parts or buy any items make a schematic drawing so you sure as to what you are doing. The basics are, p/s to motors identified by the two large capacitors, find output and check with meter should read around 70V dc. Identify motor and travel stop leads all the rest is junk. You need a breakout board and p/s and two motor drivers to take 70V and a VFD.
    Follow instuctions with the parts you buy and understand them, if you are not sure contact the repective support. thats what they are there for. One tip put a low amp fuse on motor p/s output.

Good Luck

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I took out the drive boards and the rack tonight. I am still having problems finding that 70v DC supply though. Any more helps would be great

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adam

Here are a couple of pics of my conversion, board pic left to right, shows the two large capacitors, toridial (round) transformer on top of transformer diode rectifiers, next two in line 5amp fuses, then breakout board with printer cable,
    next two Geko drivers and fan( I don't think you need fan as my drivers stay cool), then 12v dc p/s. Other pic of lathe I replaced front panel, shows on/of switch, E stop, keyboard, coolant flow contol. Hope this helps, one question do you have any experiance handling electronics if answer NO then Adam please DO NOT go any further, as you could elecricute yourself, and/ or damage expencive parts, find someone with experiance to do conversion.

Regards

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Rebiuld-boardpic-jpg   CNC Rebiuld-dsc_0014a-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanx for the pics Mike, this helps a lot, i do have electronics experiance, I was just confused by the fact that the digiplan drivers (original Orac) were getting there power from an AC source, not DC, i was exspecting them to be like the normal drivers used today that just used a straigt DC supply. Plus it didnt help that the wiring diagrams that i have for the Orac are old scans that are not real clear. Plus its always better to get good information from someone that has already done this.

Thanx again for the pics mike, and if you have any more of the boards, please send them to me at adam@nicohobbies.com

Thanx
    Adam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,

Are the capacitors and rectifiers from the original power supply? I got mine out last night and it doesnt have 2 rectifiers, only one.

Adam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adam

Yes my machine has two rectifiers, and are origional parts, but it doesn't rearly matter as long as you have the right voltage DC

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are pics of my power supply and spindle driver.. It doesnt look like yours at all :/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Rebiuld-photo1-jpg   CNC Rebiuld-photo2-jpg   CNC Rebiuld-photo3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adam
    I think the differance is due to country voltage yours being 120V and ours 240V, so Denford designed p/s for US market, try traceing output from transformer with meter set to AC it you get a reading were neadle defects wrong way its problely DC,then swich meter to DC and check, if no joy Denford have a forum on thier website I suggest you pose question and pics to them.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ORAC conversion

Adam,

How is your ORAC conversion going? I have the exact same electronics that you have, based on your pictures. Mike says that the steppers were 70 volts DC but as far as I can tell my ORAC has SD3 drives that use 18 and 28 Volts AC from the transformer. That why the pictures of yours and his power supplies were different. Is this true? If the AC voltage is really no more than 26 volts then the DC would be only 37 volts. That would let me use a Gecko 540 drive for my conversion. I am a complete newbie to all of this and I am struggling a bit.

John C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast