Need Help! G100 communication problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G100 communication problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G100 communication problem

Hi,

I managed to upload all the firmware to the g100 just fine. It has received an IP address and I can ping it on the network. So far so good.
    Now I try to connect with Mach :no luck. Mach does not see the G100.
    The latest plugin also installed properly.
    The only thing I haven’t got yet is the licence for the G100. Is this the reason Mach does not see the G100?
    Any help appreciated.

Henk

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lots of problems in this category, most likely is you are having trouble with the Rabbit IC. How old is your GRex?

you might want to read some of the G100 threads on the Mach website.

you might check with Gecko to see if you can get a replacement Rabbit for $50 (may have changed)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grex Problem

You didn't post any details of your problem.

Did you run the Grex Loader?

What are the IP addresses of the Grex and your computer? What is your Subnet Mask set to on your computer and the Grex?

What is the specific error in Mach 3?

Are you using the latest version of Mach 3?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ongoing g100 problem

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply's. The problem is this:
    My grex-loader never detects the g100. If I enter the Ip address manually and click launch firmware loader it will open a internet explorer page and I can upload the firmware without any problems. The grex loader will never detect the g100, not on the network via a router and not when connected with a cross cable. In both situations I can ping the g100 without problems and I can reach the upload page with internet explorer. Mach also never connects to the G100, it times out.
    I get the feeling that something may be wrong with the G100. It was bought more then one year ago and never used until now. i can think of anything more to try.
    All your suggestions are more then welcome. I like the get this thing running. (it's to expensive as an paperweight!)

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grex Problems

I have 6 Grex controllers working with dedicated older laptops and crossover cables. Here is the setup I'm using for all my machines:

Laptop:

Using a hardcoded IP address
    192.168.1.1 - Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Grex:

Datecode - 060210
    Default FPGA - 1
    Auto-Boot Time - 10
    Firmware Size - 190806
    Free Space - 991232
    Current Network - 192.168.1.250 255.255.0.0
    DHCP Timeout - 0
    Core - RCM 3720/RCM 3750

FPGA Config

FPGA1 - 55632

When the Grex is powered on you have a 10 second window to launch the Grex Loader "Find Gecko" function. Also - once the browser page is accessed the Grex must be reset and allowed to run for 10 seconds before Mach can access it.

There are 2 sets of firmware for 10 or 100 MB links. I use the one for 10 MB. Don't think the 100 MB firmware works. This is defined in the README text file.

Hope this helps

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G100 communication problem

Hi Clockwork,

Thanks for your reply. When I saw it I thought that’s it! In my configuration the Default FPGA =0 and in yours it =1! So I changed it to 1 and tried again. but no luck. Both the Grex loader and Mach do not see the G100.
    When I start the Grexloader program and switch on the G100, click Discover several times during the first 10 seconds nothing happens, the g100 is not found. The Run led has not come on : so to me it seems they are communicating. If I then enter the IP address manually and press Launch, a internet explorer opens and shows the firmware upload page.
    Apart from the FPGA=0 setting everything else is as you described.
    If I click the run button the RUN led comes on as it should. So that seem to work normal
    I even set the IP address to 192.168.1.1 to see if that would help but no luck.
    I just cant understand why I get the setup page in IE (surely it must communicate with the G100 to do so) but cannot connect with the grex-loader or Mach.

On my G100 there a written label that says E7. Don’t know if this means anything to anybody?

Well I am open for bright ideas………

Henk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grex Problem

In the Default FPGA field a 0 and 1 mean essentially the same thing if you only have 1 FPGA image installed.

The only time I couldn't get the Grex Loader to see the device is when the IP addresses weren't coordinated to the same subnet. I would suggest trying a different computer but you probably already thought of that.

You could try downloading some free sniffer software and comparing the transactions that occur with the Grex Loader to those with direct browser access. Analyzing this data requires a bit of knowledge but it sounds like you're a pretty smart guy.

You could try sending an email to Art over at Mach 3. He usually responds within a few hours - be specific.

The guys over at Gecko won't be of much help on this type of problem. I did have a problem with my oldest box and sent it back to Gecko. They fixed a bonehead configuration issue and sent it back within one day - didn't charge me anything.

"E7" means your box was built in the 5th month of 2007. My boxes were built both before and after this date.

One guy suggested that you replace the rabbit. Don't know if he was shooting in the dark or if he has insight into this specific problem. I don't know the symptoms of the rabbit problem since I haven't had it on any of my boxes.

Still trying to help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default One More Thing

I just remembered that a year ago when I was experiencing problems with my first Grex install I ran a sniffer to analyze what was going on. The Grex Loader and Mach 3 initate communication on a high numbered port - as I recall was in the 1300 range.

Your browser is connecting on port 80.

You could have some firewall issues blocking access on the higher numbered ports.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default No luck

Hi Clockwork,

Well its not going to work. I tried different computers and different IP addresses in my home network; No luck. I tried several computers with a fixed IP and a cross cable No luck.
    Problem is always the same: Grex-loader and Mach cannot detect the G100.
    If the Grex-loader program is running theG100 will not go into RUN state. So they communicate! Still the G100 is not found. IE connects without problems with the G100. When I activate the RUN command the green led comes on and the web pages closes. As it should! Now I open Mach, tell it to look for the G100 and it says Not Found!

I am going to ask Mariss if he can help.
    Clockwork thanks for your support, I appreciate it!

Henk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default shot in the dark or shot at a Rabbit?

not a complete shot in the dark. the Rabbit handles the TCP/IP communications and Mariss could probably confirm or clarify, but I think there was a little history there with quality control issues from the Rabbit mfg and a few bad chips making there way into G100's. I thought I read it somewhere and perhaps a little conjecture as replacement or sole Rabbits were listed on their website for awhile (didn't see it more recently though).

Firsthand, it definitely cured my sick G-Rex. Still have the bad Rabbit, although my communication troubles were more intermittent.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default looking up

Well things are looking better right now. Both the Grex-loader and Mach detect the G100 and communicate! Problem was the firewall. I disabled it and now things look much better. It really a pity there is no mentioning of this in the manual.

I expected to see the G100 setup menu appear in Mach but it didn't. So the question is what to do next? How do I get into the setup page for the G100?

Henk

Downloads
    Uploads

Henk,

Try setting your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and an IP of 169.254.1.0. That should work, and make sure your firewall is shut off. I am going to be revising the G100 manual to reflect that a firewall can interfere with the operation of the G100.

Regarding the Rabbits, we did have a problem about a year ago. What happened was the switch to RoHS, and Rabbit had cold solder joints on some components. The situation has been rectified, and we have not had a single Rabbit problem for over 6 months.

Whatever problems you are having, it sounds like it is a software problem. Because the G100 is a fairly dumb piece of electronics, if it shows up on your computer then the hardware is working just fine.

-Marcus Freimanis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Firewall

Henk

Glad to see your problem is fixed. I was disappointed when you said that it still wasn't working after my post regarding the firewall. The symptons matched up perfectly to a firewall problem.

You don't need to turn the firewall off completely. Perhaps Marcus could publish the proprietary ports in his document. As I said in a previous post they're up in the 1300 range. The firewall could be set up to pass these ports while still protecting the system. No manufacturer should ever suggest completely turning a firewall off.

You will need to run the M3plug program to install the plugin for the G100. After the plugin is installed you will see the Admin stuff in the Config section.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Connectivity issues

I have to wonder if my current issues are related somehow. I just sent my G-Rex back to Marcus to be reset and tested because I get a Com Error 777 from Mach3 when trying to connect. Although, my firewall was completely disabled so it shouldn't have been the issue. Mach detects the G-100 easily enough, then initializes it and says it is ready, then a second later I get the error screen saying communication lost.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don,

Since I emailed you yesterday, I have been looking in to 777 errors, and it appears to be a driver related issue. Is the error inside of Mach3, or is it a Windows error message?

Edit: It also appears to be a dial up modem error if it is in Windows. Could it be that you had your G100 trying to go through dial up rather than Ethernet? I know its a long shot, but that is what I am finding via Google.

-Marcus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm.... I think the error is inside Mach3.

I get a pop-up window with the title "G100 Status", and a message field where the error message posts. Down lower in the window it shows fields for IP addresses, and it also has the "Restart Discovery" button as well as an "Exit" button, and a "Set Temp. Address" button to the left of the "Reported G100 Address" IP fields.

As to the network question, it is a "Local Area Connection", with a "Marvel Yukon 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller". I'm pretty sure that means it's not trying to use a dial-up connection.

- Don

Last edited by DonW; 04-30-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: punctuation....I'm OCD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same problems for GRex, i tried to connect it through router using straight cable, then Gecko found and then i noted the IP address after which i configured the LAN connection for same IP. then connected the crossover cable from PC to GRex. After this the Gecko was found on the first click. As information provided earlier by "Marcus Freimanis" for the IP address, my IP was 169.254.191.205 with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, please compare the first two IP address numbers which shows type of network. Clockworks has also explained it good in last four lines of his last post.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Shah, the problem isn't that Mach can't find the G100, but that it finds it, and initializes it, and the pronounces it as "ready", then there is a Com Error and it loses the connection. The IP addresses are correctly set and saved. My IT guy at work suspects the firewall, but we won't know until I get the G100 back from Geckodrive later in the week.

Thanks for the help!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Follow-up

Marcus graciously suggested that they replace my G100 because it could not hold a connection with my computer, or any other computer it was tried on. They sent out a new one which arrived on Wednesday, and last night I was able to successfully connect to my computer, load the firmware, and then connect up with Mach 3. I should be good to go now. All is good.
    Thanks Gecko! Hopefully this is the final word on my connection issues, and I can get to posting some pictures of my newly-completed cnc router for folks here on the Zone.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default conection problem ...

who can help me ?

how to out from this prolem ?

i have same problem with donW. i was success ton run and g100 was found , but when i run mach3, comunication lost.

anybody can help me to find what's wrong ?

i attach my design ..

i appreciate to any help ...

james

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G100 communication problem-word-pdf-pdf  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast