G96

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G96

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G96

Howdy folks,

Started a new Job and am running a Conquest 42 Lathe with an 0-t Control.

Took me a while to figure out what G code was causing a "illeagle G code" alarm.

It was G96.

They have been running G97 in all their program because the machine does not like G96?

I'm thinking there must me a parameter that needs to be changed in order to run G96?

Anyone know the param?

Thanks,
    adamant

Downloads
    Uploads

G96 being Constant Surface Speed?

Do you prepare by limiting the max RPM to the limit of the machine like so?

G50S3000
    G96S250

It SHOULD have CSS available, but I don't know what the parameter would be, and it would have to be a purchased option.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beege View Post
    G96 being Constant Surface Speed?Do you prepare by limiting the max RPM to the limit of the machine like so?
    G50S3000
    G96S250
    It SHOULD have CSS available, but I don't know what the parameter would be, and it would have to be a purchased option.
    Well, I had no Idea you could buy a CNC Lathe without CSS? I think it would be a parameter.

Could also be something in the Safe index program.

Each opperation gets a G98P1 before and after the function.

I'll have to look and see..........I'm thinking there was a G97 in the safe index program......but that should not stop me from programming in G96 in the function.

A Parameter anyone?

Downloads
    Uploads

Could you post a sample operation that is causing the alarm? Selling a lathe without CSS would be kind of assinine. I don't think Hardinge does. We have several. Charging you for it would be worse in my opinion. Can't get much more basic than using CSS.

The G50 block isn't needed. Only problem is the spindle will wind up to maximum RPM with it left out. The G97 in the safe index program has absolutely no effect on you programming a G96 in the operation. It simply cancels the G96 out before starting a new operation. Sure would hate to be running a 1 inch drill with CSS in affect!

Never use G97 in the program as it is already in the safe index program unless I am changing from CSS to straight RPM for some reason, such as chatter on the front of the part.

Give me an example, and I will tell you whether or not you need to call Hardinge (or Fanuc). BTW, Hardinge has always been very helpful with their support on any type of question I have had for them over the past 20 some years.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    Give me an example, and I will tell you whether or not you need to call Hardinge (or Fanuc). BTW, Hardinge has always been very helpful with their support on any type of question I have had for them over the past 20 some years.
    Here is how I program............
    Pretty basic.

N1(RUF TURN WNMP431)
    M98P1
    T0101M14G96S300
    G0X.25Z.002
    G1X-.02F.0005
    G0Z.1
    M98P1
    M1
    N2(FIN TURN VNGP330)
    M98P1
    T0202M14S450G96
    G0X-.007Z.05
    G1Z0F.0005
    X.202,C.025
    W-.025
    U.01
    M98P1
    M1
    N3(SPOT DRILL)
    M98P1
    T0606M13S1350G97
    G0X0Z.05
    G1Z-.02F.0015(ADJ. FOR LEAD CHMF)
    G0Z.1
    M98P1
    M30

Who do you talk to at Hardinge?

What is the red phone number?

BTW I think I have the param.............have to check it out when I go in today.

Thanks,
    adamant

Downloads
    Uploads

Your programming is fine. Guess you can buy a lathe without CSS as standard. Who would have believed it?

Hardinge Brothers: 1-800-424-2400

Like any other business today, you have to go thru number punching to get to a live person. (versus a dead one! )

Downloads
    Uploads

adament, one of the things I did with the safe index programs was to put them in 9000 series protected programs 9001 thru 9004. M98P9001 made for more typing. Next thing I did was assign a number in their corresponding M-call parameter so that I could simply type M91 to call P9001 (which is P1 in Hardinge manual), M92 to call P9002 (Hardinge P2 sub), etc.

Don't know about you, but I don't appreciate operators accidentally deleting required programs. I did leave the P999 sub the same call. Only because we sometimes have to switch the X-Z moves around for long parts, and make it go to an X-axis clearance before going to the Z-axis index position. Operators have been good about not deleting the 999 sub because they have to go into it & change the Z index position for most jobs.

You are aware that G0Z.1 in your spot drill operation would be unnecessary if you used M98P2, aren't you? First thing P2 does is rapid the tool to Z.5 (or any other value you choose). Z.5 happens to be what the Hardinge manual suggests.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not familiar with programming Hardinge's, but looking at your program maybe you need to put in a spindle direction with G96. Funuc's are M03 or M04.

Downloads
    Uploads

Daleb,

The M14 is usually "spindle reverse, coolant on", likewise M13 is "spindle forward, coolant on". M03 is just spindle forward, and coolant an separately is M08.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I have the Param.

Check param 902 bit #2

I'm guessing 0 is CSS off 1 is CSS on.

I looked last night and had all 0's in param 902.

Downloads
    Uploads

Adamant,

The owner of this site has asked us (at the behest of Fanuc) NOT to post Fanuc proprietary stuff up here, such as OPTION parameters.

Downloads
    Uploads

dcoupar wrote "The owner of this site has asked us (at the behest of Fanuc) NOT to post Fanuc proprietary stuff up here, such as OPTION parameters. " So CSS is an option? Wow. Like adamant, I never thought you could get a lathe without it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't either. But it IS an option. As is most everything else a machine owner would want.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    I didn't either. But it IS an option. As is most everything else a machine owner would want.
    dcoupar.

Are you sure? I'm not.

I have not changed the param yet. I did look at it a few days ago and it was 0's all the way across.

Now are you telling me that Fanuc does not want us to talk about the do's and don'ts of changing parameters?

Seems like a basic for CNC lathes and getting things running right. I'm not asking for free post's, macro's, ect....or trying to get something that is not standard.

We are talking about standard parameters.

0=on.
    1=off

standard stuff.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fixed it.

changed param 902 from 00000000
    to 000000100

Thanks for all the input!

Downloads
    Uploads

Adamant,

Please read the Sticky Note at the Fanuc forum.

We are NOT talking about standard paramters. FYI, the 900 series parameters on the Fanuc 0M are OPTION parameters, and as such, shouldn't be posted on this site. The owner has asked that we remove any posts containing Fanuc proprietary information (such as option parameters) and refrain from posting them in the future.

IMHO, we should honor the site owners request.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    Adamant,

Please read the Sticky Note at the Fanuc forum.

We are NOT talking about standard paramters. FYI, the 900 series parameters on the Fanuc 0M are OPTION parameters, and as such, shouldn't be posted on this site. The owner has asked that we remove any posts containing Fanuc proprietary information (such as option parameters) and refrain from posting them in the future.

IMHO, we should honor the site owners request.
    900 series is not optional parameters.......9000 are.

My simple question of how to turn on G96 was answered with a simple switch that is standard to my machine. Param 902 was 00000000.

Change param 902 to 00000100 and wahlah......You have turned on the G96 switch.

Thanks for the help BTW.

And no, this information does NOT go against the sticky.............
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53037

Downloads
    Uploads

Adamant,

Look in your 0T Parameter Manual. Do you SEE any entries for the 900 to 920 series paramters? They're OPTIONS on the 0 series, whether you believe it or not.

Skip it. You go ahead and post whatever you see fit.

Over and out.

Last edited by dcoupar; 06-01-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Selling a lathe without CSS is like selling a guy a pair of jeans with the zipper being optional. Oops. Hope no one in the clothing industry reads this. Hate to start paying extra for that zipper!

Mr. Coupar is right. 900 series are optional on the OT controls, 9000 on the 18, 21, etc. OT controls don't even have 9000 parameters.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    Selling a lathe without CSS is like selling a guy a pair of jeans with the zipper being optional. Oops. Hope no one in the clothing industry reads this. Hate to start paying extra for that zipper!
    Didn't automobile manufacturers operate like this way, way back? You had to buy the tires separately, or something?

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast