milling a chamfer with endmill

Thread: milling a chamfer with endmill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default milling a chamfer with endmill

Hi everyone, I'm new here, so be nice if I'm in the wrong section or my question has been exhausted already. Trying to mill a 2.5d chamfer on a cnc mill with a ball nose end mill. Is there a canned cycle that can be programmed for this or do I have to figure out compensation line by line?
    Any help would be great. Thanks...
    Quick

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There might be a macro out there for it or just program it on a CAD/CAM. But for what its worth, its a lot of "work" and cycle time. Couldn't just use a chamfer mill?

It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Downloads
    Uploads

Change to a chamfering tool and do your chamfer in a single pass.

One of my guys wanted to prove that he could do chamfering, with a corner radius mill I think it was, and avoid a tool change; so he wrote a macro to step down the chamfer. It worked....and took so much time the machine could do a dozen tool changes.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Change to a chamfering tool and do your chamfer in a single pass.

One of my guys wanted to prove that he could do chamfering, with a corner radius mill I think it was, and avoid a tool change; so he wrote a macro to step down the chamfer. It worked....and took so much time the machine could do a dozen tool changes.
    How was the surface finish?

Do you ever run 4 or 5 axis just because thinks work better if the cutter can stay normal to the work?

Cheers,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    How was the surface finish?

Do you ever run 4 or 5 axis just because thinks work better if the cutter can stay normal to the work?

Cheers,

BW
    Surface finish? Not as good as using a chamfering tool.

No we do not do 4 or 5 axis. We use the 4th axis for positioning only. All our parts are designed for 2.5 or 3 axis machining.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's what I would have expected, faster + better finish with a tool built for it, or, if you could position the workpiece so the tool cuts the chamfer while normal to the cut.

I do wonder if 4 and 5 axis doesn't give you those advantages too. Just an OT/academic sort of question.

Cheers,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    ......I do wonder if 4 and 5 axis doesn't give you those advantages too. Just an OT/academic sort of question.

Cheers,

BW
    My view on four and five axis machining is that when you have to use it, use it. If you can avoid using it, avoid using it.

It hurts my brain trying to visualize true four axis machining; just using the fourth axis to position parts for 2.5 or 3D machining on two or three sides is enough mental exercise for me. Five axis machining is entering the realm of magic.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick3, that is what they make a cam system for.

If you are just trying to do a simple chamfer, its fricken easy to hand code, time comsuming, but easy.

Increment up in Z, over in X, run a full G3(or 2 if you insist), then repeat, but increase your radius by your X stepover, pretty easy. I hand coded one 3d part, 5 seperate intersecting radiuses, it took about 2 days with CAD, it sucked, never again.

I ran a chamfer about a month ago, 60 degree included, with a .030±.01 radius into the bore and a .06±.01 radius up onto the flat. That was ball endmill territory. If not for the radiuses, chamfer tool, zip around and done.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I just hand programmed it. But, it takes a lot of code, and is time consuming. I mean you could hand program a propellor blade given enough time, but yeah, thats why we use cam. I was hoping for a repeating pattern. Just use the intial increments, and angles, and tell it where to stop. A chamfer tool works as long as the chamfer is no bigger than the tool.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A chamfer tool works as long as the chamfer is no bigger than the tool.
    Get a bigger chamfer tool ...

I do wonder if 4 and 5 axis doesn't give you those advantages too. Just an OT/academic sort of question.
    Yes it can. With higher feeds and better finishes. Using chamfers as an examples.... Most will have a limit to feed before finishes starts to look chattered even with multi flutes because of the diameter change in the cutter (from the "small" end to the "big end"). Picture the same operation on a 4/5 axis and using the side of an endmill or bottom of one. Programmable diameter and chip loads can be much higher while attaining good finishes. The principle is the same for draft angles and such. The same endmill can do an "infinite" number of angles. Now, I'm not saying this would replace the chamfer mill in all 4/5 axis work... it most certainly does not. But optimization and utilization is opened greatly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was hoping for a repeating pattern
    I'm not sure what you need to chamfer but if it's the top of a hole, try this...good old "do/while" loop.

Work out your start position and trig out your chamfer angle to get your increments. 45 degrees is easiest!!

(METRIC PROGRAMMING)
    M6T1(whatever ballnose)
    G0X10Y0G54S3000M13 (rapid to start pos)
    G43Z10H1
    #500=10 (start pos in X)
    #501=0 (start pos in Z)
    WHILE[#500GE-5]DO1 (start of loop which ends at Z-5)
    G1X#500Y0Z#501F1000
    G3I-#500
    #500=#500-0.2 (increment amount in X)
    #501=#501-0.2 (increment amount in Z)
    END1
    G0Z10M9
    G53Z-100Y0
    M30

Traa-Laa...one chamfered hole (took a while though!

Downloads
    Uploads

if its multiple tool changes your trying to prevent then i would say if your going to be doing any drilling on the part use a 90deg spot drill for spotting any holes and use that same tool to run your chamfer

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

..... or you could spot your holes with the chamfer mill and then run the chamfers with it ......

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by psychomill View Post
    ..... or you could spot your holes with the chamfer mill and then run the chamfers with it ......
    as long as the tool comes to a point or it could get pretty ugly

ingersol has a nice single flt chamfer mill with a trangular insert which works good for doing that kind of stuff,

the magic of using a spot drill is you've got twice the flt which means twice the feed , they are generally a smaller dia than a mill which makes it easier to get to hard to reach places ,its one less tool holder to search for and one less tool change , plus they're dirt cheap disposibles

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah... didn't think about the different types of chamfer mills out there....

But these are the types I was thinking of. Spot and chamfer....

Downloads
    Uploads

wasn t sure if you were kidding with me about running the chmf mill or not

those are nice looking cutters you posted ,nice production tool ,
    due to the nature of most of the work ive been doing the past few of years i have grown so accustomed to using insert tools that a solid carb chmf mill was far from my mind

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hell, I thought you were kidding with me! That's funny...

Well, let me tell you, you have to get into these. Several companies make them such as DataFlute, Helical Solutions, Destiny Tool, New Tech (Swift Carb), Harvey Tool, etc, etc, etc. The common sizes are from 1/8 to 1/2" on 45° (90°) or 30°(60°), 2 or 4 flute, coated or uncoated, etc. Some of them make 3/4 and 1" sizes, other common angles like 82° or 120°, etc. Most of them are ground to a "point" that's gageable and programable based on the theoretical sharp point..... and they'll all spot drill. Go get'em....

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: milling a chamfer with endmill

You don't need a ball nose bit or a chamfer bit if your software has a fluting toolpath. I make chamfers on bolt holes using the same end mill I use to drill the holes.
    https://4dfurniture.blogspot.com/202...-end-mill.html.
    Saves doing a bit change on my CNC with no ATC.
    milling a chamfer with endmill-4-chamfered-holes-jpg
    4D