Pictures of G-Code And Generator - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pictures of G-Code And Generator

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pictures of G-Code And Generator

My experience has been that companies tend not to buy software updates when first released due to concerns about early bugs being found and problems occurring.In fact,unless they have one of the expensive maintenance agreements in place they only tend to buy when a clear advantage becomes apparent.The other trigger to updating can be the arrival of files from customers with newer versions of software that can only be read by the updated version and I have known one company that would buy a copy of the new software and then use it to save in the file format that the other computers in the office could read.

The example of Mastercam is a good one;I found V8 good and V9 absolutely great and that was when using a computer that was pretty high spec at the time.Now my two year old phone has much more processing power and any computer would hardly notice the workload of running a program from that era.An awful lot of users are simply cutting basic outlines and holes and as such have no need for super whizz bang capabilities.I can recall that Mastercam 9 with all the trimmings could thread mill,surface in several different ways and much more besides.If you had paid the maintenance from then until now,what extra capabilities would you have gained and at what cost?

At the start of this thread we saw how the OP was using an online service to generate a toolpath and might have got one if he made all the correct choices.We have seen that software developers like to introduce new things in order to stay in a job and I totally agree with the point that Freecad needs a benefactor to coordinate and document progress.Even without one I will continue to use it as the combination of capabilities and price coupled with a post processor that works for me are just outstanding.

Downloads
    Uploads

With all the various CAD/CAM packages out there I have to wonder why we need so many program variations just to move a few axes in the X Y and Z directions and a few in the A as well.

I believe it's in the "I got in first with that way, and now I'm gonna make mega bucks if you want to rent it"...….a pox on those software developers with old upgraded products who prey on people who want to make a simple living.

When you commit yourself to a high end program you aren't really knowing what if it is doing more or better with your program path as opposed to another program that costs a miniscule amount by comparison.....that's just my opinion, take it or leave it.

I like the phrase....."reliable toolpaths" for a program that was designed to run on Win 2000 (and DOS, gulp) , XP etc, no wonder it cost mega bucks to re-wangle the code sequences to do what you want on a Win 10 device in 2020...….....for mega bucks I would want it to make the coffee too.

I think this is something like taking an early 1900's Model T Ford car and adding bells and whistles to it to bring it into a 21st century status.....that would be on a rental basis or once it runs out of petrol you don't get support to refuel it.

As I'm a current Mach3 user and now that Mach 3 is no longer being upgraded, being able to still use it in it's final state is a Godsend...…...imagine if Mach 3 was in the cloud and got discontinued because Mach 4 was cloud based and only available on a subscription basis......software cost for development etc......the whole World would come crashing down for all those hobby guys that just do a bit of messing about in the shed on odd weekends or those that did make a few buck to earn a crust of bread on the side.

But, I forgot, Linux would then be the go to program for all those people, despite the new learning curve, and so a new era opens with Mach 4 going bust due to user preference leaning in other directions.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any time I hear the phrase that something has "outstanding performance", I first evaluate the credentials of the person doing the stating...…..a moron would be highly impressed at the fact that a piece of string could prevent his pants from dropping by just wrapping it around his waist and state that string has "outstanding performance" etc when used in that mode.

So, what is a piece of "outstanding performance" CAD/CAM software when it comes down to evaluating it's potential to move an axis or two in some direction or other?

If you take thread milling as an example for a CAM program to process the tool path, it is common knowledge that all it takes is a circular tool path with a definite Z axis feed rate to make a spiral pattern in a hole......that can be hand written if you know how to write G code......it doesn't take a degree in computer science to make it happen.

When it comes to 3D programming, then a CAM package is needed to get the variations in X,Y Z A movements to follow a curve that would ne impossible to plot with hand written G code.

Just how many different CAM programs do you need to do the same piece of work?......a person with very little CNC experience who relies totally on a CAM program would be ecstatic to see a 3D tool path that did exactly what he wanted despite the fact that other CAM packages could do exactly the same job.

I expect that if you are indulging in 5, 6 or more axis moves your job designs and the CAM package enters a more rarified atmosphere as the software company applies their highly skillful expertise to move the tool in complex moves and that comes at a price..... and well they know it...... hence the continuing upgrades to keep the pot on the boil and ahead of the rat race, and being cloud based would mean if you dropped out of their ongoing price gouging program upgrade strategy you lose all usage of their software......renting is so much more profitable than selling the cookie outright and guarantees a hand deep in your pocket for the duration.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well My persistence has paid off, But Still have much to learn. Thanks to you guys in the Know,
    A couple of Pictures of my build in progress, Les Paul Pro Custom "Peter Frampton Style"
    Mahogany with fingered maple top,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pictures of G-Code And Generator-lespaul_back-jpg   Pictures of G-Code And Generator-lespaul_front-jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123