Need Help! Self-tapping threaded inserts cycle???

Thread: Self-tapping threaded inserts cycle???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Self-tapping threaded inserts cycle???

hello all,

I'm trying to use a milling machine to insert Self-in tapping threaded inserts--- The tapping cycle doesn't work because during the return it bring the insert out of the hole.
    using the G86, boring cycle with spindle stop doesn't work either because the feed stops before the last rpm is activated and the drive tool damage the Self-tapping insert.

how can I do this guys? I need to insert hundreds the Self-tapping insert 14MM deep. Any ideas?

what I need is, the spindle to move forward [Z-14] with RPM/FEED and stop before return. the spindle needs to be synchronized but it only works with the tapping cycle.

thanks in advance !

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by PRINT_FX; 03-18-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Self-tapping threaded inserts cycle???

hello print, did you considered using a clutch ?

feed stops before the last rpm is activated and the drive tool damage the Self-tapping insert
    maybe this would work with droop control and slow rpm. but i am not sure / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    What do you mean with a clutch? Can you give me an example? I’m using a drive tool in a collet holder. —-it would work indeed with a different drive tool which the supplier doesn’t make.

It got to be a way of rotating the spindle shyncronized with the feed and spindle stop before return.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hello print, did you considered using a clutch ?

maybe this would work with droop control and slow rpm. but i am not sure / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

The tapping cycle doesn't work because during the return it bring the insert out of the hole
    play may be too tight between the tool and the tapping insert, and too lose between the tapping insert and the part

you need to reverse those plays : use a smaller tool, so to achieve more play between the tool and the tapping insert, and also use a smaller drill, so to achieve a smaller play between the part and the tapping insert

G86, boring cycle with spindle stop doesn't work either because the feed stops before the last rpm is activated and the drive tool damage the Self-tapping insert
    to avoid damaging the self-tapping insert, then you need a clutch and/or tension/extension capability

i hope this is usefull / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    play may be too tight between the tool and the tapping insert, and too lose between the tapping insert and the part

you need to reverse those plays : use a smaller tool, so to achieve more play between the tool and the tapping insert, and also use a smaller drill, so to achieve a smaller play between the part and the tapping insert
    Yes, that is exactly the problem---bad designing, no play. I'm making a drive myself for this application.

[/QUOTE]i hope this is usefull / kindly [/QUOTE]

Thanks, much appreciated!!!