Expensive forging "Qualifying cuts" on CNC Lathe

Thread: Expensive forging "Qualifying cuts" on CNC Lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Expensive forging "Qualifying cuts" on CNC Lathe

So we're running programs from a vendor that used to be cutting these parts for us. The forgings are real expensive so they have built into the program a "Qualifying Cut" for every tool that is used. So each tool will make a cut on a the face and on the OD, stop, then have you measure to verify it's cutting as it should. I kind of like this as a safety feature as it's real hard to mess up a part this way but it's very time consuming for operators. Plus you're opening and closing the door many times before you even get to run the part. Not a huge deal but there must be a better way. I'm thinking of reprogramming the whole thing for a variety of reason but one thing I'd like to improve upon is these qualifying cuts. I'm thinking machining steps all once would keep all the current functionality of what was being done but only necessitate opening the door once. That, or get rid of it entirely and just have each tool stop before the finish pass/spring cut and have the operator measure then. I know that would work but the redundancy of the current way has saved the operators at least a couple times thus far.

Looking to hear what others have done in the past for ideas.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Expensive forging "Qualifying cuts" on CNC Lathe

Your thinking is in the right direction. I would make all of the cuts, leaving enough material for a finish pass. Then do the measuring, and if OK, then press go and finish the part. I'm guessing that the worst case is the tool would wear or break and would not remove enough material rather than taking too much. The problem might be that the tool did break or had excessive wear and the insert need to be replaced, now you have to reset the tool and hope that you got it right.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Expensive forging "Qualifying cuts" on CNC Lathe

hy cmelo, is ok to program trying to make such optimizations like you described

write values down, see how often is needed to check the "qualifing cut", like measuring from time to time, and not at each part, so to lower the frequency to a minimum

also use "/", so to activate the stop only on request, and not at every single part / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...