More Tools Than Will Fit in the Changer

Thread: More Tools Than Will Fit in the Changer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default More Tools Than Will Fit in the Changer

Twelve tools are required to machine the part I'm working on, but the toolchanger for the Haas Super Mini Mill that I'm running has only ten pockets. The design of the part dictates that it stay in place for all of the machining operations. This means running one program, switching to MDI mode to switch out the tools, and then loading and running a second program. This is kind of a pain and wastes a fair amount of time, especially considering that the run is 300 parts. Instead of having to deal with two programs, is there any way to do a manual tool change like this while a program is paused?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: More Tools Than Will Fit in the Changer

hi / use quick change holders

code it like this :

... call magazine
    ... auto-load tool into spindle
    ... activate offset 1
    ... cut
    ... spindle up
    ... M0 ( change the tool; put tool 2 )
    ... activate offset 2
    ... cut
    ... spindle up
    ... M0 ( change the tool; put tool 1 )

after you open the cabinet door, and you put your hand on the tool, you should change it in less then 20 seconds, close the door, and press cycle-start

a quick change system means that the taper of the holder does not leave the spindle; you only change the tool inside that holder / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

The quick change holder is an interesting idea, but would cost well over $500. I'm looking for a solution using tooling we already have.

Downloads
    Uploads

you don't need to run 2 programs . Combine the 2 programs , program the extra tools as t10 for example , then give the extra tools a different h in the offset page (t10 H20-h30). Put an m0 at the tool change call for the tools your going to hand bomb . If the mill alarms to say that the h value doesn't match the t number , then there is a setting that is easy enough to find , change it to allow different h number from the t . I think the haas defaults to having that setting off (though I may be wrong)

Downloads
    Uploads

i have an idea : put those toolholders on the table, and change them using codes

keep them clean, steady, and create a program that can swap between them less than 500 $$$$

create a plastic fixture, and wash them with coolant before a tool-change sequence; also, use M0 and blow some air + visual inspection : you know, not to ruin the spindle

Code:
        rapid to pot_1_position + clearance
        M0 ( clean the pot_1 and the tool inside pot_2 )
        feed to pot_1_position
        unclamp
        rapid up
        rapid to pot_2_position + clearance
        feed to pot_2_position
        clamp
        rapid up

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...