How to export a 3d path as GCode - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to export a 3d path as GCode

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to export a 3d path as GCode

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBacklash View Post
    That sounds interesting probably I can test it out today.

That would need a G code library wouldn't it?
    No, the motion controller has no idea what to do with G code. The G code needs to be translated into a command string that the motion controller can understand. This is normally done in the CNC program. In the case of Mach3, it is a motion controller, but it still has to convert the G code into step & direction commands to drive the axis motors. Motion controllers understand pulses (for positioning), pulses/second (for speed), and pulses/second^2 (for acceleration).

So a G1 X1.00 Y1.00 F10 would be translated to what the motion controller can read, maybe something like LI100,100<1000>1000 So rather than make the translation, just output the native machine code directly.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    No, the motion controller has no idea what to do with G code. The G code needs to be translated into a command string that the motion controller can understand. This is normally done in the CNC program. In the case of Mach3, it is a motion controller, but it still has to convert the G code into step & direction commands to drive the axis motors. Motion controllers understand pulses (for positioning), pulses/second (for speed), and pulses/second^2 (for acceleration).

So a G1 X1.00 Y1.00 F10 would be translated to what the motion controller can read, maybe something like LI100,100<1000>1000 So rather than make the translation, just output the native machine code directly.
    What you are trying to suggest is output the step / dir pulses directly from software instead of first converting it to g code right? That's an amazing idea. The issue I face here is how best to co-ordinate all the axis together, will a simple state machine do the job here.
    GRBL and other such controller's do a good job of getting co-ordinated motion from multiple axis, but I like what you say and it seems doable.
    Will a plugin for Mach3 do the job here I mean insead of feeding Mach3 gcode we can directly tell it to output the desired step/dir pulses.

Are there any existing libraries out there that do this kind of thing that is bypass intepreting G code and output step/dir signals on parallel port or in theses days on the USB port?

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want to use Mach3 or similar, then you will probably have to create G code that your chosen CNC software and/or plug-in will understand. I don't know enough about Mach3 and other similar platforms to know what is possible with them and how you can manipulate them. I normally work with more industrial motion systems, but I'm pretty sure that Arduino or something similar could be programed to do what you want. What I am suggesting is really much like CAD/CAM/CNC all wrapped up in one package.

As an example, winding an electrical coil on a form is much easier to describe textually than trying to draw it in CAD and then going through the process of trying to generate a ''toolpath'' from that. An electrical coil is easy to describe by number of turns, width, wire size, ect. Winding carbon fiber on a tube is similar and can be described with a few more parameters. The textual description can be easily converted to motion commands that the motion controller can understand.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your task is not impossible
    Generating the path is no problem converting is.
    Check out Tow Placement or Automated fiber placement.
    I had a Phd in math and computer science do the postprocessor from C/L x,y,z,i,j,k,f data to 7axis motion 0, 90, +45, -45 with cuts and adds
    Just like rolling paint.....................

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to export a 3d path as GCode-s-running-robot-c-jpg  
    Been doing this too long

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123