How to start a CNC career and what course should i do?

Thread: How to start a CNC career and what course should i do?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to start a CNC career and what course should i do?

Hi guys,

I would like to get some advice. I am planning to start a CNC career.

I am 37 years old graduated as a Level 3 Mechanical Technician with CAD/CAM basics 20 years ago. I live in Nottingham (UK) and spent many years in warehouses and unfortunately i didn't practice my profession. Now i decided to refresh my knowledge which is very poor at this point.

I would like to get some help how to start it, how to get a CNC setter/operator job (possibly a trainee job) as soon as possible. As a woodworker enthusiast i have some experience in woodworking so i prefer to work in this "sector".

I have found several courses (2-4 days) but i am not sure about them. Any opinions? Does it worth it? I don't want spend money for "nothing" because i am not sure that 4 days is enough for anything.

Please give me some tips how to start it. Thx.

Peter

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by burs; 01-20-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to start a CNC career and what course should i do?

4 years at uni might get your foot in a door.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    4 years at uni might get your foot in a door.
    ?Why? We both know it's not necessary... thx for nothing

Downloads
    Uploads

Find a cabinet shop that does commercial work, and get your foot in the door.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

hy, find a place with experimented people, preferable veterans, at least 5-10 ... they should guide you on the right track, speeding up your learning curve

passion

patience

small - medium shop, avoid large

different parts each day, avoid mass production ( at least for the begining )

i don't know if is better to go metal or wood ... in metal you will develop accuracy, in wood you will develop soul

avoid books, especialy those that can make you a machinist in 24 hours ... use cnc zone instead

kindly

ps : if you wish to go metal, find a shop with okuma osp300

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, that is what i tried to do but couldn't find any due to lack of experience in CNC or . But keep searching. Thank you for the links.

Downloads
    Uploads

experience in not a must, if the person that is hiring you can feel your passion / desire

however, there is a managament crisis these days ... maybe find a place ruled by an old-wolf experimented person

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much for the advice . Are shorts courses any good? do they worth the money? I cant go to college full time.

Downloads
    Uploads

when i begun cnc-ing, i had no clue, and if i was reading something, then it made no sense to me

when our 1st cnc arived, i have discussed with the cnc dealer, if there is a chance to send me in another shop, to stay near an experimented programmer, so to gather experience : he replied that he can send me wherever i want, and if i will stay near that person a few months, i will have the confidence that i can do many things, but in reality, i will learn nothing, because i only assited and watched him doing the work : you see, you can not learn to drive a car by reading books or being a passanger

you need to do it yourself, side by side with other persons ... like this, you will receive an advice from each one, and you will also learn by doing it yourself : this is the fastest method

i admire your wish ... good luck

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, absolutely agree!

I want to do it rather just watch it. Just can't see any opportunity at this point. Applied many trainee jobs and apprenticeships... No chance without experience or the younger ones are preferred. I tried to speak some experienced guy but no one did get back to me at all. :/ Actually this is what i am still trying now. Maybe i should try harder. I won't give it up for sure.

Thank you for spending your time for me.

All the best