CNC Primer - basics of CNC automation

Thread: CNC Primer - basics of CNC automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Question CNC Primer - basics of CNC automation

Hello, all

I'm and IT manager in a wooden windows manufacturing company that is expanding it's operations and bough new CNC machine (SGM Accord 25f) - my task now is to supervise the "integration" of the machine in to our existing infrastructure (software wise). Now, my problem is that i'm absolutely new to the CNC word and i need some basic introduction to CNC automation - unfortunately, i could not find any resource that would cover the basics, although there are lots of resources on specific topic, could anyone share with me any resources that could help me, questions i have are:

1. What is the relation between product engineering software (in our case it is KLAES) and CAM (we do not have one and will need to obtain one) - what information is passed from engineering software to CAM (geometry of the part to be manufactured or something more)
    2. What is the role of the CAM and how this software relates to post processor - i got a feeling that CAM is a postprocessor or postprocessor is a at least a part of CAM. Is following statement correct - engineering software is used to design the part to be manufactured and CAM is used to create what is called a toolpath based on provided part geometries, tools used by CNC and CNC capabilities?

P.S. Why it is difficult to find such basic information? What i'm missing here? In general when you start learning something, you begin from the fundamentals, but in this field i somehow feel that you expected to have that basic understatement as i was not able to find any resources on that.

Thank you for your answers