Should I learn 2d cad or 3D cad to further my career

Thread: Should I learn 2d cad or 3D cad to further my career

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Should I learn 2d cad or 3D cad to further my career

I’ve been working in engineering for a year now, and my employer has just got a 2 axis lathe. HAAS sl20.

I’m wondering what cad package should I learn to be able to produce anything with the lathe.

I have the ability to either learn:

- Producing Mechanical Engineering Drawings using a CAD System – 2D

Or

-Producing CAD Models (Drawings) using a CAD System – 3D

Our factory creates balls and bearings to tolerances of a few microns.

But I’m obviously thinking ahead where we could look into making other products with the lathe.

Basically I want to be up to date, and be confident on an all round program I can use with any axis machine.

Be that 3D or 2D cad.

Thank you in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Should I learn 2d cad or 3D cad to further my career

2D is basically using a computer as an electronic drawing board.With a lathe it would probably be sufficient.3D won't be of much use unless you progress beyond turning jobs,in which case you would be set for producing more complex objects on machining centres that have more axes.2D is pretty simple-I had a schoolboy on work experience pick up the basics in an hour or so.

Downloads
    Uploads

Learn 3D CAD. Solid modeling (3D CAD) is what is being primarily used for design of everything today.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Lathe programming requires knowledge of 2D geometries only (see attached visual). The drawings are a 2D sketch, although can be revolved by the CAD end shall you absolutely need a solid (e.g assemblies).
    Nothing stops you from learning 3D freeform geometries CAD/CAM, although I doubt you will ever be able to machine those internally on your lathe.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I learn 2d cad or 3D cad to further my career-pawngraph600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mecanix View Post
    ....... although I doubt you will ever be able to machine those internally on your lathe.
    I only use solid models for my lathe work, and machine internal geometries on it. But it could be done in 2D.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I only use solid models for my lathe work, and machine internal geometries on it. But it could be done in 2D.
    Me too, Jim. Spoiled by modern software, same as you I'm sure.
    Was just referencing to 2D to save OP from buying overly expensive 3D software and long training hours, which is not needed for 2D parts really. In fact I'm sure he can do it from the conversational end on the control itself, which I also occasionally do e.g. one-off simple parts. I do agree with you on the fact that 3D geo knowledge is almost mandatory (2020 coming soon, so I heard!).

ps. internally = meant "in-house". Sorry

Downloads
    Uploads

Brilliant thanks for the information everyone.

What I’ve gathered is that most engineering work is done in 3D solid works, however; with the lathe that we have it would be beneficial to learn the 2D geometry first and then learn the 3D in my own time.

If I’ve missed the point let me know.

The more information I have the better.

Cheers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Solid Works is very popular-so is Catia,NX,Inventor and others.You need to learn what is popular in your location unless you plan to move.Take a look at the CAD sub-forum here to get an idea of the vast number of alternatives out there.Then take a look at the CAM sub-forum and see if it helps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jarith1993 View Post

I have the ability to either learn:

Or

-Producing CAD Models (Drawings) using a CAD System – 3D
    You can't learn both?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarith1993 View Post
    Brilliant thanks for the information everyone.

What I’ve gathered is that most engineering work is done in 3D solid works, however; with the lathe that we have it would be beneficial to learn the 2D geometry first and then learn the 3D in my own time.

If I’ve missed the point let me know.

The more information I have the better.

Cheers.
    Yes, I think you have missed the point. I also think you are confusing the design drawing and machine tool paths, not really related to each other. Today most things are designed with solid modeling programs (CAD) and the tool paths are generated with a CAM program from the 2D drawing or 3D solid model. The generated tool paths could be 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 axis depending on the part and machine used. A 2.5D tool path can be derived from a 2D drawing or a 2D tool path can be derived from a 3D solid model. All of my 2D lathe tool paths are derived from 3D solid models.

There are many software packages, as mentioned above. Fusion 360 is becoming one of the most popular, and is both a CAM and CAD program. Here is a free online course in both 3D modeling and CNC machining https://academy.titansofcnc.com/ takes you from 0 to machining parts in a couple of days, and is geared for Haas machines. Includes both milling machine and lathe, and free Fusion 360 software.

But what you want to learn is the software that your company is using, if any.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi jareth - In your career your going to learn many software systems. Every 5 years or so things change & its getting faster. You will change employer or the company will change the software. Learn what you have to and be aware of other products and other approaches. 3D is mandatory these days. Keep learning. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi jareth - In your career your going to learn many software systems. Every 5 years auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver or so things change & its getting faster. You will change employer or the company will change the software. Learn what you have to and be aware of other products and other approaches. 3D is mandatory these days. Keep learning. Peter