Need Help! Foam works cutting speed problem

Thread: Foam works cutting speed problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Foam works cutting speed problem

Hi
    I have a 4 axis table that I built a number of years ago which I pulled out of moth balls. I am trying to get running again. I have a new computer and stepper motors and the break out board and stepper drivers are new
    I can get the mc to run, but it cutts at 0.6 mm/s and the hot wire even when turner down creates a huge kerf
    I have tried to change the steps per mm but end up with a wing that either is tooo small or one that will cut right though the end of the foam blank with the old set up it worked pefectly so now I am really confused.
    If I run Mach3 the steppers seem to run at the correct speeds.
    I would welcome a few suggestions.
    Neville

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by nevillewilliams; 12-28-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Spelling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Foam works cutting speed problem

Solved the problem I built a new Belt driven 4 axis hot wire wing cutter here is my cutters first run.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have foamworks, but what's happening is almost certainly problems with the software setup.
    Try running the cut at a constant speed- steps/second and use a separate power supply for the wire. Unless you are trying to do a lot of production there is no need to run the wire hot and fast. The slowest speed and the lowest temperature that doesn't put unwanted curves into the wing usually gives the best cut. Any tapered wing will always have a problem that the tip tends to get over heated. You can correct this by adjusting the coordinates of the areas that get overmelted,.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Phil c

Thanks for the help I am now running GMFC Pro and am having no problems at all although the foam works still has its uses and if I could get it to run on a USB port I would use it more as my computer which had a parallel port on it died