Flashcut - New User- Backwards cutting

Thread: Flashcut - New User- Backwards cutting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Flashcut - New User- Backwards cutting

I am new to Flashcut. Everything is working great (plasma) but the cuts are backwards. Seems the settings are off but I cant find where. If I create text to cut the words are being cut backwards on the table. When I reverse the settings the words on the screen are then backwards. I think it is my X axis that is backwards seems on the screen it shows up as negative number. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Flashcut - New User- Backwards cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Cattel001 View Post
    I am new to Flashcut. Everything is working great (plasma) but the cuts are backwards. Seems the settings are off but I cant find where. If I create text to cut the words are being cut backwards on the table. When I reverse the settings the words on the screen are then backwards. I think it is my X axis that is backwards seems on the screen it shows up as negative number. Any thoughts?
    How are you obtaining the G-Code that cuts the text ? This sounds like it is simply cutting on a sequence determined by the CAM program creating the code and not really Flashcut's control an issue.

If you can find yourself a G-Code Editor (plenty of free ones out there to get a glimpse), you can run that step by step and see what order it cuts in,

ORDER of cut is a function of the CAM program, and usually, one needs to manually set that order for "words" to be cut out because built in algorithms are most often set to go from one direction to the other, or in your case, a "nearest entity first" where they attempt to "help" you cut time by making the least amount of moves.

I've done a crazy amount of text work over the years, and I know how it feels when it does not cut the way we read. Still the job gets done, one way or the other, as long as, in your case, centers are cut out first.

114 Depot Rd, Osceola, WI

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    How are you obtaining the G-Code that cuts the text ? This sounds like it is simply cutting on a sequence determined by the CAM program creating the code and not really Flashcut's control an issue.

If you can find yourself a G-Code Editor (plenty of free ones out there to get a glimpse), you can run that step by step and see what order it cuts in,

ORDER of cut is a function of the CAM program, and usually, one needs to manually set that order for "words" to be cut out because built in algorithms are most often set to go from one direction to the other, or in your case, a "nearest entity first" where they attempt to "help" you cut time by making the least amount of moves.

I've done a crazy amount of text work over the years, and I know how it feels when it does not cut the way we read. Still the job gets done, one way or the other, as long as, in your case, centers are cut out first.

114 Depot Rd, Osceola, WI
    Thank you! I am actually using the flashcut software. I know it would normally be the setting of the CAM but I am thinking it is actually the table settings and/or how I have the X axis setup. I create the design in flashcut CAD then move over to CAM and then CNC. When I begin the cut it starts to cut the text as if the material is upside down. If I change my settings on the direction of X and Y then the file shows the text backwards on the screen but then I get an error message. “Envelope error” if I move the drawing to a different part of the table it still will give me the error. I have used Mach4 for the last 4 years so this particular software is new to me.

Thank you,
    Jenn

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not a user of the latest versions of Flashcut (yet anyhow), so at least now we know you are running their latest version. And you are right, it must be a setting because you seem to be getting a flipped mirror of what you start with given that you report it upside down. It seems you could flip it before moving to Cam to see it cut correctly, but obviously you should not have to do that.

I know Flashcut spent a lot of time developing and integrating the Cad and Cam in the newer versions and I am positive they do not have a bug causing this. They just never let problematic issues out in the wild.

You should just make a quick phone call and I bet it gets figured out quickly.

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

You mentioned you were running a different control prior to this... on this same machine ?

If you retrofitted the same machine to Flashcut, I had to stop and think what would happen if you just happen to have the motor directions reversed on your X and Y motors...

This could be the problem, but then your jog keys and your home position would also be working incorrectly, and it would be really confusing as to where your zero really is and what quadrant things are running in.

I would create a simple diagonal line, starting right at zero, and moving in a positive direction in X and Y. Then I would look at the G-code created. The move should display in code as positive moves with no "-" signs. If you have no "-" signs, and the line cuts from bottom to top in the wrong direction, your motor direction signals are reversed, likely just on X and Y. Your Z would be correct if it is actually plunging as expected.

A similar test for you would be to create a circle with the center of it at zero. Then you can compare the direction of cut dictated, to the code created and finally the actual machine direction it moves.

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Thank you! Yes I am thinking it is my directions that are reversed which is what is giving me the whole issue. I think I will start the process from the beginning on the setup and correct my x and y which should fix my issues. Thank you to all who assisted and responded. We first cut a circle and I guess I was more concerned with the THC that I didn't notice the backwards cut with what I saw with the gcode.