sensing program zero - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sensing program zero

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: sensing program zero

Quote Originally Posted by charliex View Post
    G92 Z#ProbeSize/2 should be G92 Z#0 if you're measuring the over all length of the touch probe and not removing half the size of the ball.
    No matter what I do this doesnt work for me. Can you elaborate on the use of G92 Z#0 instead of Z#ProbeSize/2 ?

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

not sure what you mean, so i'll assume and make eli5 notes,ProbeSize is the size of the ball of the touch probe itself, so typically what you want in 3d probing is the center of the ball not the outside edge,s o half the width is the center.

in flashcut if you define the variable ProbeSize to the width of the ball , then the existing code will set the offset to the probed position with the half the width of the ball, so again the center of the ball, if set to 0 then it wont compensate for the size of the probe ball, and when it touches the object, the point where the probe contacts the surface will become the actual program Z offset, same for any axis using the probe.

Typically you'd want to predefine ProbeSize in the flashcut variables screen to the measured width of the probe tip. i'll post a screenshot of my setup when i get home if it helps, or if misunderstood what you were asking let me know!

cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

My probes physical tip is .1570" in diameter. The tool length offset is 3.3999". I have the tip size entered for tool 10 in my case.
    Any pictures will help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    My probes physical tip is .1570" in diameter. The tool length offset is 3.3999". I have the tip size entered for tool 10 in my case.
    Any pictures will help.
    add it like this

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sensing program zero-cnc-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

First, Thank you so much for answering and the quickness was unexpected. I am assuming the first 4 values in the user variables applies to this conversation. There are 4 you have listed and not knowing the diameter of your probe it is ignorant to assume. What are the 4 different variables?
    I see
    #ProbeSize
    #ProbeSizeL
    #ProbeSize1
    #ProbeSize1L
    I am at a loss for the 4 different boxes.
    I do understand where to enter them ;-) Just not why or what they represent.
    #
    Quote Originally Posted by charliex View Post
    add it like this

Downloads
    Uploads

CharlieX, Thanks again.
    Ended up using only the #ProbeSize, selected Real and added the probes tip diameter .1570. It seems to be working well.
    Copied a few of the macros off of this thread and get mixed results. Mostly the probe is either probing an incorrect direction or sequence than I need.
    I will look into modifying them for my use or understanding.
    Funny that FC has program sensing but wont allow different settings on each axis simultaneously.
    At least I did realize I could select X & Y and positive direction of travel to probe at the same time ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

I spoke too soon. Though I have a much better work around than I did. I still dont understand the user variables well enough.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have two touch probes, and they have different attachments for the end ball, one small, one large ball. so there are two sets of variables for each of the probes, you only need the first one

i assume the setup of our machines is similar for axis direction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12