New Machine Build My second CNC router

Thread: My second CNC router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My second CNC router

This is my second Fineline Automation router...My first was a 2x4, and this one is a 4x4 with the addition of a built in 4th axis rotary attachment...The rotary is a gear drive unit with a 4 jaw chuck, that has the head stationary, and the tail stock is movable and slides along the 4x6 aluminum extrusion..The actual working field of the rotary is 8x42...I have not as yet used it because I have been busy trying to make guitars...The rest of the info on this build is that it has a Vital Systems Hicon Integra 6 axis board, and yes I intend to add another axis as it is a simple matter now..It also has a 3HP 220V air-cooled spindle...It is running on Mach4 on a Dell Inspiron tower computer with a 24" Acer touch screen monitor …..I do not have a vacuum system hooked up to it yet, but I do have a vacuum system...I have a complete Pepperl + Fuchs Proximity Sensor Kit, but have not hooked it up yet and have not needed it, because of the way I am doing it now....
    Back to the machine now..At least for me, I have found the Fineline units to be rock solid in use, and is built like the brick house you hear about...So far I have cut out 3 bodies and a bunch of necks with mistakes on my part, not the machine and it does so with ease....Like anything else that is related to this, what you put in is what you get out....So there is mine......

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My second CNC router-img_1219-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My second CNC router

That looks great, Joe! Where can we see your guitars? I have built one acoustic and plan to build more, maybe even some solid body electrics one day. Which CAD/CAM system are you using?

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

I made some guitars for my son and will leave it at that because I was here to talk about the machine...The software I have is V-Carve pro, Alibre, Desk Proto, and Fusion 360...I am 74 and still trying to learn how to use all this stuff..I mostly just fool around and see what I can do...I also like to do wood gear clocks, but have only made parts so far...I enjoy making the machines more than making things with them...I have converted a few milling machines to CNC also, but have gotten away from metal work...

Downloads
    Uploads

I did put some pics of my guitars on here on Musical Instrument Design and Construction, which I thought would be better than posting them here as this is for FLA machines...

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe I will be 77 next month and I just sold my 4x4 FLA machine, it was too large for me to mess with and I had a mild stroke this January so it went to a good home. I have converted a few machines in the past but for my last machine I built up a 1000 x 750 (mm) WorkBee from a kit and used my experience with Mach4 to set it up with a PMDX controller (USB) so far its checking out just fine. I had zero issues with my FLA machine

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

The FLA 4x4 is a big machine, but that helps make it solid...I cut a pocket 1" deep in one pass with a 1/4 endmill, I did it slow but it did it...I did at one time look at the Work Bee, and gave it some consideration, but at the time I did not know which way I wanted to go again.....It looked like a nice machine...I also have one of those 6040 machines all set up and ready to use, but never used it...It has a water cooled spindle and I added a nice pendant...I had thought of selling it, but just never did....

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe, if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to receive your machine and was there any quality issues on the steel rails? I have left 3 messages and sent two emails just trying to get a few questions answered about the standard 2'x4' like yours.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I did not have to wait for it, because I went to pick it up...Mine is a 4x4 and what I call the rails are aluminum, but the part that everything moves on is steel...There are no quality issues at all..You may be missing a part or screw, but he takes care of that if you did..They are well built...........