FLA up AND running

Thread: FLA up AND running

Default FLA up AND running

MY FLA 4 x 4 Saturn with metal gantry is up and running, tuned and working to perfection.

If you want a robust machine for a nice price and can do the work needed to make this machine work correctly it's one of the best deals on the net.

If you need a plug and play system and are the type that needs cry to the manufacturer about defects run don't walk to another manufacturer.

There is no way a newb or even an experienced person that didn't have access to a shop with every tool under the sun(like I have the luxury of having at home) could build this machine and get it working. Still, y the price/performance ratio is near unbeatable.

I built and owned an AVID(CNC RouterParts.com machine) I built 3 Joe machines, every variation. I built many others of my design and own a few other premade machines still as well. This Saturn is the one of the best, if not the best of the bunch. That being said it also was the most trouble to assemble, build and tweak to get running other than my made from scratch machines of course.

Many would of seen this machine as a huge defect and returned it complaining to the manufacturer. To get a machine all steel like this with no issue's is going to cost you double I am sure, so take it for what it is. A starting point for a nice DIY machine build.

To me if you are placing linear rail on steel or mdf etc and dealing with all steel welded construction you should know what you are getting into. I did , I do, this is my second FLA and these machines rock if you go in thinking that it's a DIY machine, not an AVID plug and play screw together machine.

The FLA with the 80/20 gantry is going to give a person far less trouble so I suggest that if anyone wants to try go for that. And again, if you are the type that needs to call the manufacture for issues just don't buy a machine from Fine Line at all, their machines(well his machines) are not for you.

I will post more pics and vids later. I cut the parts for the inlay shown, so it's working well for me.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...0V2T-WrouFh1BM

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA up AND running-36-inlay-jpg   FLA up AND running-20200309_130845-jpg  
    Last edited by dovetail65; 03-10-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: FLA up AND running

Very nicely done - love the LED's on the side. That's pretty cool. Your photo link didn't work for me but I would love to see a close-up of the inlay piece.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

The LED's are are 4 foot solid aluminum profiles that change color and dance to the sound of the machine as well. Not the rubber LEd that stick on from a spool. I have tow on the side and two under the gantry for now.

I will post a video and pics showing the machine later tonight or tomorrow.

Here are close ups of the inlay.

I do not V carve. These are straight edge pockets I glue the male letters about .325" thick in the female pockets about .375" thick, so all separate letters. There are no gaps. The larger parts are edge glued to each other like a jigsaw puzzle with glue on the edges before then assembling the puzzle. It is all about .375" thick when done then the entire assembly is vacuumed pressed to Baltic Birch or Marine ply in a vacuum press to give me the final thickness I need.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLA up AND running-20200306_163035-jpg   FLA up AND running-1-jpg   FLA up AND running-2-jpg   FLA up AND running-3-jpg  

FLA up AND running-4-jpg   FLA up AND running-5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That is truly fine work - beautiful!! What glue do you use on these? Are you using F360, Vectric, something else? Do you have to veneer the back side of the BB to keep it from warping or does the 0.375" thickness on the BB or marine ply just become like one thicker piece of ply?

I can't get over how precise your pieces fit - letters, numbers, symbols, etc. What gap do you use to achieve that tight fit? Do you manually make the pockets a few thousandths larger than the inlay pieces, like the letters and symbols? Or do you use a wizard to do the settings for you?

The lights are cool, for sure!

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi dovetail, I've read some of your build threads over on the Joe's forum, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm curious, what were some of the difficult parts of getting the Saturn up and running? Major problems or just tedious? I've been considering my own build for years, then was leaning towards an Avid, but curious about fineline machines now. I've considered welding my own frame and doing epoxy leveling but FLA kits are pretty cheap and look nice. Thanks for any further details on your struggles and triumphs!

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I was luckier than most I had very few issues with my FLA 48x48 and If I did have problems I solved them myself. I did not worry or fret over .001 over 4 ft I took the machine as it was supposed to be a CNC router, not a precision milling machine. Unfortunately I had a medical event while in Florida this winter and had to put it up for sale. I am in the process now of building a smaller light weight machine so when we move to retirement housing I can store it in a spare room. I do also have a Prusa 3D printer on the way, just a 6 week backlog!

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for sharing wmgeorge! Glad to hear a few people are having good luck without too many troubles. Sure looks like a great machine at a great price.