Helping with Gearing and movement settings for Z Axis

Thread: Helping with Gearing and movement settings for Z Axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Helping with Gearing and movement settings for Z Axis

Hi All,

I am getting my machine setup. I have a 4x4 Saturn mid '17. I purchased the complete electronics system (NEMA 34) from CNCRouterParts (now AVID CNC). I used the config files from them assuming that the gearing and ballscrews would be the same. the X and Y axis seem approximately right (havent yet cut something to test them out) but when I use the auto z plate, and then rehome it, the x axis moves 20". which is clearly not right. I don't really know where to start to get that back on track. I did an approximate search on this thread but I don't know what to search for. Does anyone have a suggestion for where I could start to tune it?

Plug and Play NEMA 34 CNC Control System - CRP800-00E-8 | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts
    960 oz-in NEMA 34 Motor | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Helping with Gearing and movement settings for Z Axis

Quote Originally Posted by meilcowski View Post
    Hi All,

I am getting my machine setup. I have a 4x4 Saturn mid '17. I purchased the complete electronics system (NEMA 34) from CNCRouterParts (now AVID CNC). I used the config files from them assuming that the gearing and ballscrews would be the same. the X and Y axis seem approximately right (havent yet cut something to test them out) but when I use the auto z plate, and then rehome it, the x axis moves 20". which is clearly not right. I don't really know where to start to get that back on track. I did an approximate search on this thread but I don't know what to search for. Does anyone have a suggestion for where I could start to tune it?

Plug and Play NEMA 34 CNC Control System - CRP800-00E-8 | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts
    960 oz-in NEMA 34 Motor | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts

here is a screenshot of the Z axis mach 3 motor config...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helping with Gearing and movement settings for Z Axis-z-axis-motor-plan-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

ok, I think I figured it out. the Z axis has 1/2 as many steps as needed. not sure why the config files from CNC router parts were wrong. but I used the instructions on the warp 9 website to dial it in. very helpful.

https://warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-mach3#StepsPer

Thanks all.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can usually figure it out by a little trial and error use Jog or whatever to move the axis say 1 inch and measure the actual distance moved, add or remove steps as needed. Funny I have a 2018 Saturn 2 and used Nates set up and it was wrong, but CNCRP/Avid's was right on. Have fun, I am coming up with new uses for my machine every day!

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro