Christmas Gift on a FLA CNC Router

Thread: Christmas Gift on a FLA CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Christmas Gift on a FLA CNC Router

Did this as a Christmas gift for one of the In Laws, from a farmer owned country sawmill, walnut plank from a old 100-150 year old dead tree. I have more I purchased and stowed away. Pretty large and done on my FLA 48x48 machine.

Rough cut .250 ball nose, finish cut .125 ball nose and it came out perfect. Finished with natural color shellac.

Christmas Gift on a FLA CNC Router-img_4600-jpg

Similar Threads:
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Christmas Gift on a FLA CNC Router

Looks beautiful! What was the runtime out of curiosity?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I got smart on the second one, allowed the .250 to take off more, 4 or 5 hours #2 about an hour less. The picture does not do the wood justice, it has a very interesting grain pattern.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a decent runtime. I've not done anything over 35min yet. Lol

Then again, I've also not done much 3d carving either.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a beautiful piece of walnut. I'm hoping the species bounces back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice, looks fantastic! Good job.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Did this as a Christmas gift for one of the In Laws, from a farmer owned country sawmill, walnut plank from a old 100-150 year old dead tree. I have more I purchased and stowed away. Pretty large and done on my FLA 48x48 machine.

Rough cut .250 ball nose, finish cut .125 ball nose and it came out perfect. Finished with natural color shellac.

Christmas Gift on a FLA CNC Router-img_4600-jpg
    Very nice, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    That's a beautiful piece of walnut. I'm hoping the species bounces back.
    Black Walnut takes about 30 years to reach maturity. The only way for it to "bounce back" if for folks to plant groves and wait 30 years for them to mature and get the return on investment. I'd love to see that (I won't be around in 30 years to see it), but I'm not holding my breath.

Gary

The Old Man and the C -----NC

Downloads
    Uploads

This tree was old, much older than 30 years. And when you have squirrels you do not need to plant new trees. I drive by a grove planted in the mid 1950's back near my home town here in Iowa. The trees are maybe 12-16 inches in diameter today.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope I didn't come across as critical; lumber should be used for sure.

I was referring to the walnut blight that has been spreading across the US the last few years. It's such a beautiful hardwood, and I know people are working hard to try to prevent the species from dying out. I hope the efforts prove successful so we can have more wonderful projects like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

As a further experiment, I had been making dog ID Tags on my laser. But just for heck I ordered some 1/8 shank .0625 ball nose mills. This is try #2 running at about 20,000 rpm and 20 ipm fr. It still needs improvement…. yes I can see! But this is 48x48 rack and pinion FLA router with a ball screw Z. Boy those little bits snap so easy!! Gina is my 55 lb Border Collie and at 2 years and 4 months…. still our baby!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas Gift on a FLA CNC Router-img_4627-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    As a further experiment, I had been making dog ID Tags on my laser. But just for heck I ordered some 1/8 shank .0625 ball nose mills. This is try #2 running at about 20,000 rpm and 20 ipm fr. It still needs improvement…. yes I can see! But this is 48x48 rack and pinion FLA router with a ball screw Z. Boy those little bits snap so easy!! Gina is my 55 lb Border Collie and at 2 years and 4 months…. still our baby!!
    Dog tags. Nice idea. Showing promise.

What material are you cutting? The red looks a lot like anodized aluminum. Probably just the angle of the photo, but it looks like your "steps per" for X and Y are pretty far off (assuming the tag was designed so the top and bottom are symmetrical. .

Border Collies are nice dogs. Don't they need a lot of daily exercise? Our 2 babies, Gustav & Gabrielle, are 10 and only weigh about 12 pounds (breed: Coton de Tulear). They stand in front of me and stare, if I don't give them hour long walks (even in rain, sleet and snow).

Oh, on the bit, take a look at this one: https://www.precisionbits.com/cnc-ro...-37412-sc.html - 1/4" shank tapering to 1/16". As far as tapered bits go, the price isn't bad. This outfit sells tapers down to 1/32" for the same price as the 1/16". I like tapers, because most the the cut length has more metal and resists breakage better..

How's your recovery going? Guess it's good enough to allow you to get out in the shop.

Gary

The Old Man and the C -----NC

Downloads
    Uploads

Red anodized aluminum tag, text area 1.0x1.25 inches and my steps on the machine are perfect thank you. Try it on your machine . Mine is in mothballs for a month or two so I can not do any more fine tuning, time to head south.

Here are the bits I am using from Amazon, TranRay 1/8" Shank Dia. Carbide Milling Bits, Double Flutes Spiral Carbide Ball Nose End Mill CNC Router Bit 1.5mm Cutting Dia.by TranRay
    4.0 out of 5 stars 7 ratings
    Price: $12.99 for 10 they work well and I can't afford to pay $26 for a bit, but I do have some of those tapered ones.

Our border collie came from working stock not a wimp dog for sure. Very high IQ and does like to keep busy and thats a challenge, Beautiful black and white and curly rough coat.