Longworth chucks - cutting today vs. a year ago

Thread: Longworth chucks - cutting today vs. a year ago

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Longworth chucks - cutting today vs. a year ago

I have greatly improved not only the process but the speed at cutting Longworth chucks so I thought I'd do another video. When I first cut these chucks they were taking about 16 minutes per disc followed by 5 minutes or more per disc of hand sanding the edges to clean off the tabs and to round the edge. Occasionally the Baltic Birch would chip where I cut a tab and that was frustrating.

Anyway, it's now a fairly refined and efficient process for a small home workshop. It could be improved upon but for now it's working just fine. The tools for the entire process are circular saw to break down the BB, table saw, drill press, CNC, stationary belt sander, drum sander, and ROS.

Here's the video -

Enjoy!
    David

Similar Threads:
    David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Longworth chucks - cutting today vs. a year ago

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    I have greatly improved not only the process but the speed at cutting Longworth chucks so I thought I'd do another video. When I first cut these chucks they were taking about 16 minutes per disc followed by 5 minutes or more per disc of hand sanding the edges to clean off the tabs and to round the edge. Occasionally the Baltic Birch would chip where I cut a tab and that was frustrating.

Anyway, it's now a fairly refined and efficient process for a small home workshop. It could be improved upon but for now it's working just fine. The tools for the entire process are circular saw to break down the BB, table saw, drill press, CNC, stationary belt sander, drum sander, and ROS.

Here's the video -

Enjoy!
    David
    Hey David do you know why the link doesn't work right on my mobile device? I've been having a problem for a while now with cnczone not working the way it used to on my mobile devices. Have you noticed any problems on your phone or tablet? It's been going on since they did some sort of maintenance a while back .

Downloads
    Uploads

And here I thought you were going to comment on my video...

No sir, I only view forums on my computer and haven't heard anything about issues with mobile devices. Have you changed any settings on your devices, carrier, antivirus, malware, browser settings, etc.?

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    And here I thought you were going to comment on my video...

No sir, I only view forums on my computer and haven't heard anything about issues with mobile devices. Have you changed any settings on your devices, carrier, antivirus, malware, browser settings, etc.?

David
    No just normal updates it's something wrong with the forum. I'll check out your YouTube channel and let you know what I think.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice, David! I've found that on our S2 44 the limiting factors for feedrate are mainly the 3hp spindle and holding the material securely. We have NEMA 34 motors and they could easily push it much faster. We've settled around 250 - 300 ipm for a ¼" cutter, although I have cut at 600 ipm in ¾" BB, one pass.
    Looks like your productivity gains have been very high with this project!

Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Mick! Wow! 250 - 300 ipm tells me I'm crawling compared to your feeds. I have a 4HP spindle and NEMA 34 steppers so I must just be idling. What material are you cutting on your 250 - 300 ipm with 1/4" cutter and what is your normal depth of cut at that feed rate? I wouldn't mind going faster if for no other reason than to see how it all works out but this truly is a sweet spot at 175 ipm and full depth on 1/2" BB.

David

David