Mach 4 Users

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mach 4 Users

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach 4 Users

You guys running Mach 4, happy or not? Happy so far, but Mach3 seems dated. A bonus for me is my CNCRP control panel will soon be officially supported with a pre-configured file. Was considering Acorn but its a lot more money, It also requires a better Windows 10 than I own.

Correct me but its just the hobby license $200? and getting the settings done for Mach4? Everything else should work.

Similar Threads:
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach 4 Users

Mach4 is what I started with so that's all I know. It has done everything I've asked it to do and I am certain does a lot more than I am doing. Yes, hobby license was $200. Settings weren't difficult and I like the software.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    You guys running Mach 4, happy or not? Happy so far, but Mach3 seems dated. A bonus for me is my CNCRP control panel will soon be officially supported with a pre-configured file. Was considering Acorn but its a lot more money, It also requires a better Windows 10 than I own.

Correct me but its just the hobby license $200? and getting the settings done for Mach4? Everything else should work.
    Bill,

You've heard from me before on Mach4. I'm very happy with it.

Yes, it's the hobby license that's $200. The industrial version is $1,400.

Wonder how long folks will have to wait before CNCRP releases its Mach4/Smoothstepper setup. I seem to recall the delay had to do with getting the torch height control setup correctly. You'd think that most folks are using their machines for a routers, so they could release that version now, and follow with a version for plasma later on after they get the bugs worked out. Might be worth an email.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

What's interesting about that, Gary, is that the Post Processor I use in Fusion 360 is the CNC Router Parts (Mach3Mill) / cncrouterparts and that works just fine in Mach4 for our machine.

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

That is interesting David, Another consideration is I am running Warp9 ESS on ethernet so I need to get that configured also. I would like to run it on my Windows 10 computer and leave my one now (Win7) still setup now for Mach3.... just in case.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can setup both Mach3 and Mach4 on the same PC.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You can setup both Mach3 and Mach4 on the same PC.
    Even with ESS? I would love to do that and keep it all on Win7Pro.

Downloads
    Uploads

Even with ESS? I would love to do that and keep it all on Win7Pro.

Yes. I have both setup on my PC, and I have ESS. I don't use Mach3 anymore, but it's still set up and runs. However, once you start running Mach4, I doubt you will want to return to Mach3.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I recently transitioned from Mach 3 to Mach 4 running on a Windows 10 industrial PC (not a very fast computer). Configuration is much more straightforward than mach 3, almost didn't need any setup guides. Mach 4 seems very well designed, more professional, and more functional that mach 3. I have no reservations about the purchase.

If you need any specific help with the ESS setup that isn't in the manuals, feel free to PM me. I also recommend you become a forum member on the Warp 9 forum. They are very responsive there (within a day Andy from Warp9 will answer all posts) and often happy to help with MAch 4 question even where it doesn't directly relate to the ESS.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am also running ESS but I have a Win7 machine. I don't recall the setup being particularly difficult but it's also the only one I've ever done so nothing to call upon for comparison.

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, thanks guys and if your not a guy, same thing. I know David and Gary have used and liked Mach4 but I like to keep things the same if they are working but in this case its like why not? I was really interested in the Acorn but its still in the development stages and I keep hearing its just a hobby grade controller so be patient. Seems like Mach4 has already got those features built in.

Downloads
    Uploads

One more added question and I think this would be a Gary question. Since you have both Mach3 and Mach4 can you switch back and forth? Like I have a working digitizing probe in Mach3 and I am not sure if M4 does it the same. Can I just start up M3 and use the probe and then use M4 as norma nextl?? It would be for me the ideal world.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm speaking out of turn but my guess is that ESS will only talk to one controller software at a time. Again, guessing, but you could use your Mach3 setup for the digitizing probe, shut it down, then start Mach4 if you want. Guessing entirely, though.

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

I was really interested in the Acorn but its still in the development stages
    It can be said that Mach4 is also in the development stages.

Depending on what features you are looking for, you could argue that either one is farther along then the other.

Since you have both Mach3 and Mach4 can you switch back and forth?
    Yes, just close one, and start the other. The software connects to the ESS when you start it.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Gerry & David solves a Lot of problems. I just found out my Vista (?) Pendant will also work on Mach4.

Downloads
    Uploads

So no Post Processor for Mach4 in the VCarve Pro needed? I down loaded the Demo in the Windows 7 part of my MacBook Pro and it crashed two times, so is that because of the Demo hitting the number of lines limit and it crashes? You'd think it would just stop.

Downloads
    Uploads

So no Post Processor for Mach4 in the VCarve Pro needed? I down loaded the Demo in the Windows 7 part of my MacBook Pro and it crashed two times, so is that because of the Demo hitting the number of lines limit and it crashes? You'd think it would just stop.
    Bill,

Nope. Just use the Mach3 Post Processor in VCarve Pro. Should work fine. It works without any issues in Aspire.

I don't know about your crash issue in the trial version. Maybe try something simple, like a rectangular profile, so it fits within the line limit? Does it run or crash?

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Bill,

Nope. Just use the Mach3 Post Processor in VCarve Pro. Should work fine. It works without any issues in Aspire.

I don't know about your crash issue in the trial version. Maybe try something simple, like a rectangular profile, so it fits within the line limit? Does it run or crash?

Gary

No it’s really not setup or anything I just wanted to see it Simulated file run. I was wondering what happens when it hits the limit.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is no line limit that I know of in Mach4. It has a run time limit.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill,

I did some snooping around. Gerry is correct. Unlike Mach3, which had a line limitation, Mach4 has a time limitation. From what I've read, it's only about 6 minutes.

Bill, when you say Mach4 crashes while running a simulation, what exactly do you mean? Does you machine endlessly clock and you need to force a shutdown, or is it something else. I've read that after the 6-minute limit, you have to restart Mach4 to run it some more. However, I haven't read what actually happens at the end of the 6-minute period.

One other thing I ran across that appears to speak to CNCRP's delay in supporting Mach4. I ran across some comments suggesting that some motion controllers do not yet support torch height control (THC). The Smoothstepper ESS currently supports THC, but I don't know when that happened. If later rather than sooner, it would explain CNCRP's delay.

Since I have the ESS, you setup for Mach4 should be similar to mine. I'm guessing that the only real difference would be in the ports/pin settings. If you decide to try out the demo with your machine, go into Mach3 and screen print or write down all of your ports and pins settings, and follow the instructions Warp9 provides, which is found here: https://warp9td.com/index.php/gettin...pper-and-mach4. If you get stuck, or just a second set of eyes, let me know. I'll work on it with you online, or we can get on the phone and talk through it. I was pretty nervous when I worked on my setup, and it wasn't until I was finished and everything worked that I realized that it was all pretty straightforward. The Warp9 instructions are really very good.

Gary

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast