Yet another welding/machining/misalignment problem on Saturn 2. Sigh. - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet another welding/machining/misalignment problem on Saturn 2. Sigh.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yet another welding/machining/misalignment problem on Saturn 2. Sigh.

So bottom line Gerry and Mick, knowing FLA needs some changes what would make it better and keeping in mind its price point what would you suggest? Gerry has already stated he believes Camaster to be 2nd tier machines. So that makes FLA either 3nd or 4th tier or lower.

Also since it seems that a couple of us got a decent machine would you say the number of posters on here with issues is say.... 10% of the total made the past 10 years?

If you think what I posted was the end of the Search try this "adjusting camaster router" on google it brings up a few more.

People with problems tend to complain and post to tell the world if they can. . When we were shopping a couple years ago for a French door SS refrigerator IF you believed all the posted complaints or took them at face value we would have just purchased a old timey Ice Box. But we sorted through the posts, compared and purchased our Samsung. Zero issues and its been running for 3 years.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yet another welding/machining/misalignment problem on Saturn 2. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    So bottom line Gerry and Mick, knowing FLA needs some changes what would make it better and keeping in mind its price point what would you suggest?
    I would suggest what I suggested in the very first post of this thread and multiple times since. Nate needs to stress relieve and machine these frames.

I'm not suggesting that the FLA is not a good machine. I'm suggesting that it can be a lot better with a fairly minimal change in the way it's made. Stress relieving and machining are the industry standard. Shimming, adjusting mechanisms, etc. are not. They're workarounds for a problem that should not exist. As Gerry said, it might add $500 to the cost, but had it been done, this and other threads complaining about the machine not being within tolerances would most likely never have been made. Bill, there's room for improvement, that's all I'm suggesting.

I can't speak for Gerry, but I'm pretty sure I understand where he's coming from in saying Camaster is 2nd tier. That's a compliment considering its price. He's comparing a Kia to a Range Rover. Both good vehicles. First tier machines are designed and built to be run day in day out under heavy loads. MultiCam builds a machine that rapid traverses at over 11,000 (ELEVEN THOUSAND!) inches per minute and reaches cut speeds of 7,800 inches per minute. Don't try that on a Camaster.

Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

Downloads
    Uploads

So that makes FLA either 3nd or 4th tier or lower.
    Imo, there are two tiers. Industrial, and everything else. You can sort them any way you like.

Also since it seems that a couple of us got a decent machine would you say the number of posters on here with issues is say.... 10% of the total made the past 10 years?
    Fineline has only been selling the Saturn for 2-3 years.

You have to define "issues".

They specify "Accuracy" to be .005" or better. To me, that would imply that the machine is assembled to that degree of accuracy. Clearly it's not. So you can say 100% do not meet their published specs.

I think it's clear that this is not their definition of accuracy.

Unless they change the way they build their machines, I can't recommend them to anyone.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

When we bought the first Saturn Nate told me the frame was welded in a fixture and then stress relieved. I can tell you from having to drill the cross members and to re-locate the proximity sensors that drilling into this tubing and end caps is very difficult, so they must be stress relieved or in some fashion heat treated. Maybe they aren't now but ours definitely is very hard.

And from what I recall about drilling it is over 1/8" thick, seems like Nate said 4mm. Maybe that's changed, too, I don't know.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    When we bought the first Saturn Nate told me the frame was welded in a fixture and then stress relieved. I can tell you from having to drill the cross members and to re-locate the proximity sensors that drilling into this tubing and end caps is very difficult, so they must be stress relieved or in some fashion heat treated. Maybe they aren't now but ours definitely is very hard.

And from what I recall about drilling it is over 1/8" thick, seems like Nate said 4mm. Maybe that's changed, too, I don't know.

David
    David, stress relieving is not the same as hardening. It simply equalizes the internal stresses (hard & soft spots) caused by cutting, welding, etc. thereby minimizing subsequent distortion. Think of it as massaging the stress out of the steel.

Saturn 2 4848

Downloads
    Uploads

So I would think the powder coat temperatures of 400 degF or so would count as some sort of stress relief.

I drilled and tapped a couple of holes in my frame, did not think it was extra hard, but more than mild steel.

Downloads
    Uploads

So I would think the powder coat temperatures of 400 degF or so would count as some sort of stress relief.
    It would be nice if it were that easy. Not quite. Needs to be held between 1100 degrees and 1350 F for thermal stress relieving. Most mfrs use vibratory stress relief for that reason.

Saturn 2 4848

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by micknm View Post
    David, stress relieving is not the same as hardening. It simply equalizes the internal stresses (hard & soft spots) caused by cutting, welding, etc. thereby minimizing subsequent distortion. Think of it as massaging the stress out of the steel.
    Yeah, thought about that after I posted it but I can tell you it is very hard.

I drilled and tapped a couple of holes in my frame, did not think it was extra hard, but more than mild steel.
    I don't recall exactly but I think it took about 7-8 minutes to drill each hole with a brand new bit and well lubricated with oil while drilling. I call that hard.

Nate told me the frame is stress relieved and my assumption is that the process also hardens the steel, at least to some extent.

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

David
    I am with you on that statement David, i totally agree. I drilled my share of holes in the early model Saturn and do enough machine shop work with heat treat ovens and annealing to say they were stress relieved. You can test the Rockwell of your frame and tell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, thought about that after I posted it but I can tell you it is very hard.

I don't recall exactly but I think it took about 7-8 minutes to drill each hole with a brand new bit and well lubricated with oil while drilling. I call that hard.

Nate told me the frame is stress relieved and my assumption is that the process also hardens the steel, at least to some extent.

David
    Yes , stress relieving will temper the steel some and elongate the grain structure and make grain structure uniform. 4MM is the thickness and stress relieve at lower than 1000 or you will start to warp . Its all about time and temp and holding said temp within a tolerance. Then you start the cool down slow and steady no oil quench usually. I think you got the first Saturn David and i received the second machine. I have not had any issues except for the rack needs upgraded to 3/4" thick.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by newcarver View Post
    Yes , stress relieving will temper the steel some and elongate the grain structure and make grain structure uniform. 4MM is the thickness and stress relieve at lower than 1000 or you will start to warp . Its all about time and temp and holding said temp within a tolerance. Then you start the cool down slow and steady no oil quench usually. I think you got the first Saturn David and i received the second machine. I have not had any issues except for the rack needs upgraded to 3/4" thick.
    Did you get the spacers to move the 1/2" rack out from the frame?

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you get the spacers to move the 1/2" rack out from the frame?

David
    No i haven't got the spacers. I have tried a few times to contact Nate to see if he could send the spacers . He must be a busy fellow. One more shot and i will just order the 3/4" heat treated rack i see he has now and replace the rack entirely.

Downloads
    Uploads

I put mine on almost a year ago and shot a video of the upgrade if you'd like to watch -

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I put mine on almost a year ago and shot a video of the upgrade if you'd like to watch -

David
    Yes I saw your video some months ago. Your video is what prompted me to ask Nate for the upgrades. I plan on a few new upgrades spindle, new rack and pinion assembly. I have been trying to get in touch with Nate to source some parts. Great video David, it's a great idea to document upgrades and tips for all of us to learn. I need to learn how to edit video like you. I plan on documenting the upgrades too if i can get some parts. Nate ??

Downloads
    Uploads

Assuming you could ensure you gantry cars were square on both sides...could you not just loosen one rail and let the gantry sort our the mess for you, by moving it up and down the table?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Guys,
    I found a video of how Fineline is setting up the linear rails on our machines! Check out the link

Downloads
    Uploads

That's interesting, I wa taught to start in the middle and work to the ends when torquing down. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm not seeing any heat treating here?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm not seeing any heat treating here?
    I posted it as a joke since my rails are out by about 3/16h, my frame is not square, and have and am still having to fix just about everything on the machine. At one point Nate offered to take the machine back...I should have taken him up on it, but I thought I could get it sorted out. Dumb mistake in keeping it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Erik F View Post
    I posted it as a joke since my rails are out by about 3/16h, my frame is not square, and have and am still having to fix just about everything on the machine. At one point Nate offered to take the machine back...I should have taken him up on it, but I thought I could get it sorted out. Dumb mistake in keeping it.
    I got the joke when I watched the video. I still haven't heard from Finline about my machine. So much for Life Time support right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast