Newbie Saturn 2x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturn 2x4

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Saturn 2x4

Just received my Saturn 2x4 and everything looks good, but wife says it has to stay on pallet til after Christmas. After reading all the posts, I wanted to check the machine before I unpacked it and my question is: Without the steppers attached, how much force should it take to move the gantry on the x and y axis? It seems to move without any binding, but I thought the linear motion bearing would make it move a lot easier. Am I getting some restriction or does it take a little force(guessing bout 5-10 lbs force) to move gantry?
    Joe

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Saturn 2x4

Joe, the gantry is 150 lbs. you should be able to push it with one hand in the center.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I knew the gantry was pretty solid and I am able to push it with one hand, but it does take some force. I was just concerned that the steppers were not going to be able to handle it. I noticed the grease fittings; so do I need to lube the bearings now or are they done during assembly?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesmo View Post
    Yes, I knew the gantry was pretty solid and I am able to push it with one hand, but it does take some force. I was just concerned that the steppers were not going to be able to handle it. I noticed the grease fittings; so do I need to lube the bearings now or are they done during assembly?
    Joe
    We don’t lubricate the bearings at the factory because it can make a mess in transit. Lube with a NGLI #2 grease. Also, if the machine was out in the cold it tends to be a little stiff.

Try the grease and email us if it still feels stiff.

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the official grease recommend by the mfg > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gadus-S2-V1...72.m2749.l2649 some NLGI 2 greases are very tacky I found out. This is what I ordered and use.

If you loosen the gear drive on both side and drop to disengage the rack, keeping track of the measurement or counting the turns the gantry will very easily move with one hand.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the recommendation on the grease. I have not yet installed the gear drive.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using Royal Purple NLGI #2 - works perfect for this application.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

How's the machine going? Any pictures yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the the frame welded and the machine up on it with no problems. Attached the spindle yesterday and have been ordering parts to build the control box. I'm still a little worried about the gantry movement. I've read some of your earlier posts and saw where you had trouble with binding and replaced your gantry. Someone posted that they can push their gantry and it will continue to move. Mine only moves when being pushed even after being lubed. How can I tell if it needs to much force to move. The x axis moves with about the same amount of force.
    Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't know on my table until I had everything installed and started jogging the y axis but I immediately was concerned because I could feel it stick in certain places while moving it by hand. I actually notified Nate of the problem before I even took the router off the pallet. At that time no one had reported any issues so I just thought it was because the bearings needed to be greased.

Turns out it immediately started binding once I started jogging the axis and wasn't reliable until I loosened up all the gantry bolts and as soon as I tighten them back up it would bind up again and I had to keep them loose until I got my replacement beam. It's great now and I'm very happy with how it cuts so far.

Post some pictures of the table so I can see if yours is the same as mine. Also what did Nate have to say about it? Has he responded to you yet about your concerns?

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Dan
    It does not seem like it is sticking, but I expected the gantry to somewhat float on the bearings. I havent installed the gears yet because I am waiting on the motors I ordered from Nate. Nate responded to an earlier post about lubricating the bearings and to let him know if I still have issues. I'm not quite sure if I have an issue because I'm not sure how freely this heavy gantry should move. I have loosened the bolts but it did not make that much of a difference. My question is, how do I tell or is there a test to how freely the gantry should move on the Y-axis? Nate says I should be able to push it with one hand and I can, but I thought it should be a little easier. Maybe it is me not being familiar with cnc routers that is causing the issues.
    I'll get a pic up tomorrow when my wifes car isn't in the way.
    Joe

Dan
    It does not seem like it is sticking, but I expected the gantry to somewhat float on the bearings. I havent installed the gears yet because I am waiting on the motors I ordered from Nate. Nate responded to an earlier post about lubricating the bearings and to let him know if I still have issues. I'm not quite sure if I have an issue because I'm not sure how freely this heavy gantry should move. I have loosened the bolts but it did not make that much of a difference. My question is, how do I tell or is there a test to how freely the gantry should move on the Y-axis? Nate says I should be able to push it with one hand and I can, but I thought it should be a little easier. Maybe it is me not being familiar with cnc routers that is causing the issues.
    I'll get a pic up tomorrow when my wifes car isn't in the way.
    Joe
    Remember that gantry is 150 lbs. It’s definitely not going to be as easy to move as just a plain carriage because of the weight. You shouldn’t feel like you have to shove it hard to move it.

If you are concerned, we would suggest loosening the bolts on the machine. See how it moves with the bolts loose, then tighten the bolts again and realign. If there is a noticeable difference, let us know and we’ll do additional troubleshooting.

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Did a little of the bolt loosening today with just a very small improvement. Will try a more comprehensive realignment tomorrow and see if anything changes. Can you post a video showing the gantry movement without motor power?

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool looking forward to seeing your table since I haven't seen a new 2x4 table yet. I'm curious to see if it's the same as mine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Photo of completed stand. Does this movement appear to be like everyone elses?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 2x4-img_6521-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a while since I disengaged the stepper motors but yes, that's how ours moves. At least that's how I recall it moving.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

That looks about right.

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Same here. Looks good.
    Jack.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish mine moved that smoothly when I first got it. You are one of the lucky ones my friend, I obviously got a got a lemon lol. The stand turned out good looking forward to seeing it finished up.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast