FLA Saturn 2' X 4' Versus CNC Router Parts Pro.

Thread: FLA Saturn 2' X 4' Versus CNC Router Parts Pro.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FLA Saturn 2' X 4' Versus CNC Router Parts Pro.

Hello,

Hopefully this is the correct forum.

I would like to purchase a CNC router, somewhere between 2' X 3' and 2' X 4'. My budget is around $6k, although I can add a bit as time goes on. I will mainly be cutting aluminum, so I would obviously like something as rigid as possible. The Saturn seems to be excellent as it is made of steel, however I have heard some negative things regarding support. I don't have any problems doing any wiring needed.

Which of the following would be best for my needs:

- FLA Saturn 2' X 4'.
    - CNC Router Parts Pro 2' X 4'.
    - CNC Router Parts Benchtop Standard 2' X 3'
    - ??

I would appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: FLA Saturn 2' X 4' Versus CNC Router Parts Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtorque View Post
    Hello,

Hopefully this is the correct forum.

I would like to purchase a CNC router, somewhere between 2' X 3' and 2' X 4'. My budget is around $6k, although I can add a bit as time goes on. I will mainly be cutting aluminum, so I would obviously like something as rigid as possible. The Saturn seems to be excellent as it is made of steel, however I have heard some negative things regarding support. I don't have any problems doing any wiring needed.

Which of the following would be best for my needs:

- FLA Saturn 2' X 4'.
    - CNC Router Parts Pro 2' X 4'.
    - CNC Router Parts Benchtop Standard 2' X 3'
    - ??

I would appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.
    I've just purchased a Saturn 2 4X4, and it has some very significant quality issues. It was not built to the advertised 0.1mm specification. I am having difficulty with communication with FLA to try to reach some sort of resolution, so I'm not comfortable recommending any of their products at this point. Disclaimer: I am an unhappy customer, and, admittedly, am heavily biased. If you are interested, here is a link to my thread, which is still ongoing: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/finel...cnc-posts.html

If your main aim is to cut aluminum, you may want to consider getting a small metal mill. The Grizzly G0704 is a popular mill, and there are ball screw conversion kits available, e.g., https://www.automationtechnologiesin...onversion-kit/. I believe others also make a conversion, and you may be able to find a converted machine within your budget.

If you really need a 4 foot bed dimension, then you may want to consider the CNC Router Parts 2X4 pro version. I don't recommend the standard version. Keep in mind that a machine built from 80/20 extrusions and bolted together probably isn't going to be rigid enough to take more than light cuts in aluminum.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply, Gary.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your FLA machine. I'm not likely to get one after reading your post, plus it's been about 4 days since I reached out to FLA, and they have not responded.

I did some research on the CNC Router Parts Pro, and there is a YouTube video of them cutting through 1" of aluminum. That's good enough for me. I already have plans for a mill.

Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

I went back and forth between the FLA 2x4 and the CNCRP 2x4 when I bought mine. I ultimately went with the FLA Saturn, and I have been happy. However, given the recent quality problems I have heard about on this forum (from GME and others) I would suggest the CNCRP machines. The only thing about the CNCRP machines that I see as a compromise is that all of their pro machines have a 4' gantry (less stiff than a 2' gantry made of the same materials). They do this for low cost size upgrade potential (to 4x4 or 4x8).

I always thought that the CNCRP 2x3 Benchtop Pro machine looked like a nice machine. It was on the small side for my needs, and was more expensive than the FLA when I bought mine. It may be on the edge of your price range with the plug and play NEMA 23 motors, but worth considering. Much nicer than the Benchtop Standard, though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    I went back and forth between the FLA 2x4 and the CNCRP 2x4 when I bought mine. I ultimately went with the FLA Saturn, and I have been happy. However, given the recent quality problems I have heard about on this forum (from GME and others) I would suggest the CNCRP machines. The only thing about the CNCRP machines that I see as a compromise is that all of their pro machines have a 4' gantry (less stiff than a 2' gantry made of the same materials). They do this for low cost size upgrade potential (to 4x4 or 4x8).

I always thought that the CNCRP 2x3 Benchtop Pro machine looked like a nice machine. It was on the small side for my needs, and was more expensive than the FLA when I bought mine. It may be on the edge of your price range with the plug and play NEMA 23 motors, but worth considering. Much nicer than the Benchtop Standard, though.
    The FLA should be a more rigid machine, and their 2 x 4 is priced $1,000 cheaper than CNCRP 2 x 4! It seems to good to be true. However, it looks like I will most likely be getting the CNCRP Pro 2 x 4. If I had the problems that GME is having, I would most likely flip out.

In addition, the CNCRP's machine has sufficient gantry height for me to make rifle stocks.

Thanks for your input.

Downloads
    Uploads

and their 2 x 4 is priced $1,000 cheaper than CNCRP 2 x 4!
    CNCRP is a large company that you can call and talk to a support person whenever you need to.
    FLA is a one person operation, and it can takes weeks to get a reply from them.
    Getting what you pay for goes beyond just the machine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)