Build Thread Saturn 2 4x4 w/ Nema34 closed-loop - In Canada - Page 2

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn 2 4x4 w/ Nema34 closed-loop - In Canada

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 2 4x4 w/ Nema34 closed-loop - In Canada

Well.... Unfortunately it was as I'd feared. Had a few minutes when I got home. Fired up Mach3 on the Windows 7 machine now, system moved fine for 5 min then reversed. <Frustrated>

So at this point I'm about to whip out the multimeter and follow suggestions and then think to myself "What if I swap drivers? That would help isolate the problem."

Swapped with the Z axis. All was good until a few minutes after running some air code, the Z was reversing this time.
    <More frustration!!>

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

As mentioned, start by testing with the spindle OFF.
    If it's still changing direction, then check that voltage, as it's probably not correct.
    What breakout board are you using?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If the problem followed the driver switch then the driver board is bad.

Did you try it with the VFD and spindle off by any chance?

BTW I used a oscilloscope in the USAF eons ago then later when taking a electronics class. Surprised at the size and price drop . I purchased a small SANSMART DSO Note II LED scope and with an additional 1x - 10X probe. All for less than $115. Surprised at the quality, I have yet to use it but it can capture and hold signals. Thought it would be handy to have when checking out the waveform from the VFD and noise on the input signal lines.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    If the problem followed the driver switch then the driver board is bad.

Did you try it with the VFD and spindle off by any chance?
    That was my thought about the problem following. It did this with both the VFD powered on and off.
    So I got a chance to fire up the machine and throw a multimeter on the drive DIR pins, and wouldn't ya know it, it wouldn't give me a problem! The only two things different from this time to the last was the pigtails on the driver pins and the fact that it was much cooler in the garage this time. I would say about 10 degrees Celsius cooler. I ran various bits of code and jogged the gantry a fair bit, left powered up for a couple hours and repeated. I could not recreate the problem this time. Go figure!
    The voltage readings seemed normal. Jogged the Z up and it was 4.75V; jog the Z down and it dropped to 5.7mV. Correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds about right.

Downloads
    Uploads

Correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds about right.
    Yep. That's why it's working.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So basically I'm thinking I should just leave the multi-meter leads hooked up and just wait for it to happen again so I can take a voltage reading. Tough road though as I'm not sure if I trust it to do much until I get this sorted out. I've put in a message to the seller for the drivers and am waiting to hear back. I am leaning that way as the problem followed the drive but I should troubleshoot as much as I can as to support my claim with the seller.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, so .... I got the axis/driver to function and malfunction as I'd described and have video of both (which I will edit this post and add links to the videos when they're finished uploading. Regardless if the driver is function or malfunctioning at whatever particular time, When I press up, the BoB puts out around 4.7 volts and when I press down, it drops to around 5.7 mV, regardless of which direction it's actually travelling. So I know that everything up to and including the BoB is doing it's job properly. This leaves the driver and beyond. Given that I've swapped drivers and the problem follows the driver, I believe that it's safe to say that I have a faulty driver board. Fun times with more waiting ..... grrr

Driver functioning normally

Driver functioning improperly

Last edited by wackocrash5150; 12-29-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dumb question but here goes, does it have the problem when using the keyboard? Just wondering if it is the hand held unit. I'm sure you already thought of that, but I figured I'd ask.

Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Dumb question but here goes, does it have the problem when using the keyboard? Just wondering if it is the hand held unit. I'm sure you already thought of that, but I figured I'd ask.

Dan
    Hi Dan. That is NOT a dumb question at all. Sometimes the most obvious things point to a solution. However in this case it does it with more than just the keyboard or keypad. It's done it while running test code as well. It will start off fine and then part way through I will be looking at it thinking "hmmm .... something doesn't look right here..."

Downloads
    Uploads

FYI I have had Chinese made circuit boards have poor or cold solder joints and pins that have not even been soldered. I would pull the board off and carefully go over it with a good light and magnifying glass. My guess you will find one of the above. My circuit board was on a mini milling machine and it was a bugger to get out and back in.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wackocrash5150 View Post
    Hi Dan. That is NOT a dumb question at all. Sometimes the most obvious things point to a solution. However in this case it does it with more than just the keyboard or keypad. It's done it while running test code as well. It will start off fine and then part way through I will be looking at it thinking "hmmm .... something doesn't look right here..."
    That sucks hope it didn't break anything when you were running a program.

Downloads
    Uploads

Could it be the cable causing the problem. If it happens sometimes and not others that could indicate a break or intermittent connection.

Ben

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast