Need Help! Back for more advice - Homing

Thread: Back for more advice - Homing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Back for more advice - Homing

Nema 34 Plug & Play on Saturn 2 4x4.

After receiving the education on my previous post about step & dir I have that all squared away and the machine moves when I tell it to move through Mach 4. Spent the past week trying to figure out how the home the axis. I can get the axis to stop when they trip the proximity switches. However, when I try to home the machine it plows right through and tries to run off the rails. I see the lights activate on the sensors and the corresponding activity on the Mach4 diagnostic screen, but the axis won't stop in the homed position. Anyone have any advice they can give? I have attached screenshots of my settings:

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back for more advice - Homing-01-ess-pins-config-01-png   Back for more advice - Homing-01-ess-pins-config-02-png   Back for more advice - Homing-01-ess-pins-config-03-png   Back for more advice - Homing-01-ess-pins-config-04-png  

Back for more advice - Homing-01-ess-pins-config-05-png   Back for more advice - Homing-02-inputs-01-png   Back for more advice - Homing-02-inputs-02-png   Back for more advice - Homing-03-outputs-01-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Back for more advice - Homing

And the remainder of the pictures:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back for more advice - Homing-05-mach-homing-01-png   Back for more advice - Homing-04-homing-01-png   Back for more advice - Homing-06-mach-inputs-01-png   Back for more advice - Homing-06-mach-inputs-02-png  

Back for more advice - Homing-06-mach-inputs-03-png   Back for more advice - Homing-06-mach-inputs-04-png   Back for more advice - Homing-07-mach-outputs-01-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using the exact same system and wish I could help but I am using Mach3, I just used the pre made setup or XML file for that system and it worked. You do have some configuration screens to check, but once again I am Mach3. Sorry.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Wmgeorge... do you have a copy of that xml file? I have both Mach3 and Mach4. I was leaning toward 4 given it’s the most recent. But, I’ve got to get this thing running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac139 View Post
    Wmgeorge... do you have a copy of that xml file? I have both Mach3 and Mach4. I was leaning toward 4 given it’s the most recent. But, I’ve got to get this thing running.

Go to CNC Router Parts and download it. All the info you need to setup your Plug & Play system is there.

Mach 3 XML Files | CNCRouterParts

Last edited by wmgeorge; 10-29-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nema 34 Plug & Play on Saturn 2 4x4.

After receiving the education on my previous post about step & dir I have that all squared away and the machine moves when I tell it to move through Mach 4. Spent the past week trying to figure out how the home the axis. I can get the axis to stop when they trip the proximity switches. However, when I try to home the machine it plows right through and tries to run off the rails. I see the lights activate on the sensors and the corresponding activity on the Mach4 diagnostic screen, but the axis won't stop in the homed position. Anyone have any advice they can give? I have attached screenshots of my settings:

I haven't had much time to look at your settings, but I did note that your setup does not include a homing sensor for the slave. Was that intentional, or do you have a sensor on the slave and just forgot to set it up? If you have a sensor on the slave, but it's not set up, the slave should keep running, because there is nothing telling it to stop.

If you don't have a sensor on the slave, I can't help. I understand that the Y axis can be homed to just one sensor, but I don't know what the setup looks like. I've never tried to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't use M4. The only pattern I can see is that in the first set of images active low is set to yes.
    In the second set active low in not enabled.

Jack.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

You can start a support ticket at machsupport.com and they'll help you get it working.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    I don't use M4. The only pattern I can see is that in the first set of images active low is set to yes.
    In the second set active low in not enabled.

Jack.

I don't think this is the problem. I checked my setup. My sensors are all set to active low in the ESS setup. When I looked at the Mach4 input screen, active low was not enabled. It's the same as Cmac's. If I recall correctly, the ESS populates the Mach4 inputs screen. Mine works fine. Aside from what I asked about previously, I have nothing more to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You can start a support ticket at machsupport.com and they'll help you get it working.
    +1 on the advice. I would just add that it would be great if you could update this thread with the solution.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I’ll certainly look into getting assistance from CNCRP. I initially asked them if they had an xml for this and was told they didn’t officially support Mach4. They advised that they would send one from a machine they had on the floor and then asked me to provide my purchase info. When I informed them I bought it through FLA the conversation (email) ceased.

Thanks for offering your thoughts! I’m trying not to be “that guy” looking for someone to solve all my problems but I’ve read a great deal of the forums and have spent more weeks with the machine than I’m proud to admit with little/no progress. The frustration level is beginning to rise. In my world a “plug and play” machine should not take over a month to get operational.

I’ll take a breath and get back to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just went through and “read” the posts again. The advice was to contact the author of the software, not CNCRP....I’ll reach out to them.

Downloads
    Uploads

I’ll certainly look into getting assistance from CNCRP. I initially asked them if they had an xml for this and was told they didn’t officially support Mach4. They advised that they would send one from a machine they had on the floor and then asked me to provide my purchase info. When I informed them I bought it through FLA the conversation (email) ceased.

Thanks for offering your thoughts! I’m trying not to be “that guy” looking for someone to solve all my problems but I’ve read a great deal of the forums and have spent more weeks with the machine than I’m proud to admit with little/no progress. The frustration level is beginning to rise. In my world a “plug and play” machine should not take over a month to get operational.

I’ll take a breath and get back to it

The plug and play system was sold as a Mach3 setup, so all the files are for it. I think you should get it working on Mach3 or find someone here to support your Mach4 or perhaps a phone call to CNCRP would help?

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought the same thing. I contacted Nate, or should I say tried to contact Nate, for the Mach3 file but received no response. The CNCRP file referenced (from the website) above gets the machine moving but the homing only works on the Z axis. Hence my query here.

I’ll keep at it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought the same thing. I contacted Nate, or should I say tried to contact Nate, for the Mach3 file but received no response. The CNCRP file referenced (from the website) above gets the machine moving but the homing only works on the Z axis. Hence my query here.

I’ll keep at it.

If you are going to try to get your machine working with Mach3, you can download the XML file you need directly from the CNCRP website. Here's a link to where the files are located: Mach 3 XML Files | CNCRouterParts. There is an option menu where you input your configuration and it will serve up the correct XML file for Mach3.

I have to admit that I find it odd that CNCRP does not support Mach4. Their plug and play control uses a smoothstepper, so standardizing the ESS config file should not be a big deal. Frankly, I thought that Mach4 was much easier than Mach3 to setup. I'm not sure I would have the same opinion if I didn't have an ESS, but the Warp9 ESS instructions were clearer than any others I've seen.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I downloaded the Mach3 file for the 48x48 with spindle. I had to change the X & Y directions but got that correct. The homing will work on the Z but the X & Y keep driving after the switches are activated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are the limits setup in Config > Ports and Pins > Inputs?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I will have to admit when I downloaded my XML file it was different than the selection process now. I am sure I just did the router one as there was no other choice. It works for my router setup, and I will need to change when I go to my Spindle.... someday. Did you follow the rest of the Instructions?

Do you have a Spindle? A CNCRP box with that VFD and the spindle they sell? If not I would use the XML file setup for the Router.

Downloads
    Uploads

Personally, my preference would be to NOT use an .xml file from anyone. Because when you do, and it doesn't work, you have no idea why it doesn't work.

Set the machine up from scratch, one thing at a time, making sure each thing works as you set it up. You'll have a much better understanding of your machine, and troubleshooting will be much easier in the future.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

That was my preference, Gerry. Nate sent me an xml file early on but since I built my own control box to my own specs I chose to set everything up myself. I had lots of questions but learned a lot, as Gerry said. It wasn't really that difficult, just new.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner