Need Help! Mach 4 settings ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mach 4 settings ???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach 4 settings ???

After a week I’m admitting defeat and looking for help.

I have downloaded both Mach3 and Mach4 demos. I’m able to get the machine moving with Maxh3 using a profile supplied by CNCRouterparts. I’ve tried to configure Mach4 but cannot getthe Y2 motor to move.

Is there a template or would anyone be willing to share their config for the Nema34 Plug and Play in Mach4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach 4 settings ???

There is a guy on the Router Forums (David F) that may be able to help you as I think he is running Mach4 with the very first Saturn built.
    https://www.routerforums.com/cnc-routing/

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I have a Saturn machine and Mach4, not sure which revision, though. I don't concern myself with the latest and greatest updates 'cause it's working great like it is.

I'm not sure why the difference between Mach3 and Mach4 on your machine. Did you try reloading Mach4? Maybe something didn't go just right during the install. I can look tomorrow and maybe get you some info on how I set up Mach4 if that will help. Which screens do you need to see?

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for responding guys. I’ll put it out there that I’ve always worked with grbl machines and the controlling software was much less complex. So, the settings in Mach are new to me and quite frankly, how/why the provided profile assigned pins and inputs is still out of my grasp.

By looking back and forth between the two programs I was able to get three of the four motors moving. But, I’m stumped with the second Y motor. I can get the primary moving (Y1) but no response from the Y2. I’ve tried flipping settings so much I’m wondering now what I’ve screwed up that was originally correct.

So, I guess that would be the biggie at the moment...which pins/outputs/settings address the second Y?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

What do you have under Axis mapping in Configure Mach?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Going by memory as I’m not in front of it right now:
    0-X
    1-Y1
    2-Z
    3-Y2
    I think that Y2 is supposed to be slaved off Y1 but I’m not given the option under the Slave drop down for Y1.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    what controller are you using?

All controller have a plugin that needs to be set up. Often the plugin will alter Machs ( also called Control) setup.
    In other cases you may have to set up a feature in the controller plugin AND THEN also match that with modifications
    within Mach4 (Control). There is no hard and fast rule as to what will happen....you have to follow the instructions of the
    controller manufacturer.

Typically the setting of a slave motor is done per the attached.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 4 settings ???-slavesetting-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

This is how mine is set in Mach4 for Axis Mapping -

Mach 4 settings ???-mach4-axis-mapping-jpg

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have the CNCRP control box, you have a SmoothStepper. Most of your config is set up in the ESS plug in. If memory serves, the slave on Y is set up there. The instructions are found here: https://warp9td.com/index.php/gettin...pper-and-mach4

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    what controller are you using?
    You haven't answered that....its important.
    You have set up the Motors in Mach4 setup but have you got them setup in your motion controller?
    I use an Ethernet SmoothStepper. Note that there are three distinct procedures required.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 4 settings ???-essmotors-png   Mach 4 settings ???-essoutputs-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to ghost you guys...ducks are flying and they need to be eradicated (duck season in the mid-west).

I’m using the ESS as my controller. The config that difalkner has is different from mine as I have motor 3 assigned to my Y2 and I’m immediately considering that to be my issue.

Stand by and I’ll alter my config in a bit and post back shortly. If nothing else I’ll post my setup.

Again, thanks to all for pitching in on this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking through every screen again this now jumps out at me. Please let me know if you agree: In the Output Signals tab of the ESS Config I only have 3 motors (0,1,2) activated. My public school education is telling me there needs to be a fourth---the Y2 that doesn't move currently. Am I on the right track or??

Trying to add a screenshot but I don't see the upload button.....found it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 4 settings ???-ess-config-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac139 View Post
    Looking through every screen again this now jumps out at me. Please let me know if you agree: In the Output Signals tab of the ESS Config I only have 3 motors (0,1,2) activated. My public school education is telling me there needs to be a fourth---the Y2 that doesn't move currently. Am I on the right track or??

Trying to add a screenshot but I don't see the upload button.....found it!
    I'd say you are on the right track. If the outputs don't include the slave, the slave isn't going to work. Actually, I believe the step was missed in the ESS pins config tab. If memory serves, once the step and direction for a motor is assigned in the pins config, it is automatically copied into the outputs tab. Once you see it in outputs, you can enable it.

I built my own control system around the PMDX 126, PMDX 107 and SmoothStepper., so you can't rely on my configuration to match yours. If I had the CNCRP control box, I'd just send you a copy of my profile to use, since the settings should be consistent for every box CNCRP sells. Maybe someone who has the same box would send you theirs. The I believe the only difference between the NEMA 23s and 34s would be steps per, acceleration and velocity.

Oh, and I should add, "quack, quack."
    ?

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    yes you are right.

There are two ways you could do this. The normal and recommended way is to have four motors (0,1,2,3) enabled with
    two assigned to one axis, one as master and one as slave. If you were to follow that idea then the table which you (very cunningly!) attached
    in your last post would indeed require an additional motor and therefore another Step and Direction output signal pair.

Another way would be to enable just three motors (0,1,2) but have the Step/Dir signals of the gantry axis output on repeated pins. See attached.
    Your fourth motor could be hooked to those pins and it would perform in lockstep with the main motor. Mach is driving two motors but its
    unaware of it. This would work but the previous method allows for the slave/master to be temporarily broken so you could square your axis.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 4 settings ???-multiplepinmapping-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

THAT WAS THE PROBLEM!!!! I activated the fourth motor in the ESS and it spins like a top. Thanks for helping me think this through guys! Now, onto the next hiccup.
    (BTW: Ducks are not the cute little farm animals they have been portrayed as in children's books!)

Sorry Craig, I posted while you must have been typing...I activated the 4th motor in ESS and I'll see how it goes. I appreciate your explanation though. Gives me something to think about. As I said I'm used to desktop machines and my previous controller had a separate driver for the Y2. The discussion was that it eliminated lag and provided more power to the motor. Is that actually a concern or is slaving the motor a moot issue given the equipment I'm using?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    hey they may not be cute but they sure taste good!

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac139 View Post
    THAT WAS THE PROBLEM!!!! I activated the fourth motor in the ESS and it spins like a top. Thanks for helping me think this through guys! Now, onto the next hiccup.
    (BTW: Ducks are not the cute little farm animals they have been portrayed as in children's books!)

Sorry Craig, I posted while you must have been typing...I activated the 4th motor in ESS and I'll see how it goes. I appreciate your explanation though. Gives me something to think about. As I said I'm used to desktop machines and my previous controller had a separate driver for the Y2. The discussion was that it eliminated lag and provided more power to the motor. Is that actually a concern or is slaving the motor a moot issue given the equipment I'm using?

Maybe the jargon we use is a little different. You said, "my previous controller had a separate driver for the Y2." Your present control box should have 4 separate stepper drivers in it, one for each motor, including the slave. I have 4 Gecko G203Vs in mine driving X, Y, Z and A(slave). I believe you should never connect 2 steppers motors to a single driver. So, if you mean "stepper driver" when referring to your previous controller, seems to me it is no different now. Are we on the same page, or are we talking about 2 different things?

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary, you are absolutely correct. We're talking about the same thing but I was using different definitions. I confirmed in my box that there are four (4) separate stepper drivers (actually 5 but that will muddy the discussion). When I previously referenced a slave, when I used by desk top unit, it was two motors working off of one stepper driver. That is where I got tripped up when we started talking about slaved drives here. It was my assumption that it was the same thing. I've obviously learned something today!

In my past life I had to swap wires when using the slave (two motors-one driver) in order to get them to both travel in the same direction on the Y Axis. Now, having two separate drivers how do I go about swapping the direction so they both travel the same way on the axis? I've tried using the "reverse" checkbox in the Mach-Config-Motors screen but that doesn't have an effect. I've tried the same thing on all my motors as a test but they didn't change directions either. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I've tried using the "reverse" checkbox in the Mach-Config-Motors screen
    That is the incorrect location to change active low/active high status.

The correct place, and the only correct place when using an ESS, is the Pin Configuration within the ESS plugin. This will allow you to have
    separate active high/active low status for each motor whether it be slaved or not.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 4 settings ???-highlowpinstatus-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    should add that in order to change direction of a stepper from the Pins Configuration dialogue change the status of the Dir pin of that
    axis only.

Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast