Z axis settings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z axis settings

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z axis settings

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up my 4' x 4' FLA Saturn 2 with CNC Router Parts electronics (NEMA 34). The problem I'm having is that Z axis travel shows ~25" on the DRO which is obviously incorrect. What I'm trying to figure out is if something is set wrong in the XML file causing this. I haven't been successful contacting Nate, so anybody else run into this problem. I'm very new to CNC so I may be missing the obvious.

Thanks,
    Tim

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z axis settings

Are you saying that if you run G0Z25 from the MDI that it does not go to 25 exactly? If so I have been meaning to bring that up for a while. I also would like to know why that is.
    If you run G0Z0 it should always go to zero.
    I just ran G0Z25 and the DRO reads 25.004. Not 25.000. I think it has something to do with the "steps per" setting. At least that is what appears to me to cause it. Why. I don't know.

Jack.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    Are you saying that if you run G0Z25 from the MDI that it does not go to 25 exactly? If so I have been meaning to bring that up for a while. I also would like to know why that is.
    If you run G0Z0 it should always go to zero.
    I just ran G0Z25 and the DRO reads 25.004. Not 25.000. I think it has something to do with the "steps per" setting. At least that is what appears to me to cause it. Why. I don't know.

Jack.
    No, I'm wondering about the fact that it goes from 0 to 25. My X and Y axis go from 0 to 50 which I assume is in inches, but the z axis doesn't travel 25 inches.

Thanks,
    Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by trm1980 View Post
    No, I'm wondering about the fact that it goes from 0 to 25. My X and Y axis go from 0 to 50 which I assume is in inches, but the z axis doesn't travel 25 inches.

Thanks,
    Tim
    See my post above, the Z axis needs to have the steps increased to get it to travel the right distance. The rest I posted is also correct.

Copy and pasted to save you looking :
    X & Y = 2038 Steps Vel 600 Acc 50, Z = 10160 Steps Vel 150 Acc 30 this is off a working machine.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    See my post above, the Z axis needs to have the steps increased to get it to travel the right distance. The rest I posted is also correct.

Copy and pasted to save you looking :
    X & Y = 2038 Steps Vel 600 Acc 50, Z = 10160 Steps Vel 150 Acc 30 this is off a working machine.
    I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with the layout of this forum yet. Which post are you referencing?

Thanks,
    Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

There is no post, so apparently it didn't come through...

Or it's in another thread somewhere??

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks,
    Tim
    I think the only way it shows 25 on the DRO is if the steps per inch are incorrect or you've switched to mm on the Z axis. The Z axis simply doesn't travel that far in inches.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with the layout of this forum yet. Which post are you referencing?

Thanks,
    Tim
    I copied and pasted into the message you quoted.

And here it is again: Copy and pasted to save you looking :
    X & Y = 2038 Steps Vel 600 Acc 50, Z = 10160 Steps Vel 150 Acc 30 this is off a working machine

BTW I could not make the file Nate send me work, I went back to the CNCPC website and used the one they had posted, it worked but I found out the Z was off on Steps, so I used Nates settings for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

X & Y = 2038 Steps Vel 600 Acc 50, Z = 10160 Steps Vel 150 Acc 30 this is off a working machine

BTW I could not make the file Nate send me work, I went back to the CNCPC website and used the one they had posted, it worked but I found out the Z was off on Steps, so I used Nates settings for it.
    Thank you! That sure seems a lot better.

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    I think the only way it shows 25 on the DRO is if the steps per inch are incorrect or you've switched to mm on the Z axis. The Z axis simply doesn't travel that far in inches.

David
    Yea I get a little over 11” of travel on my z axis not at the machine right now to give exact distance.

Also David have you had any issues with the hard stop messing up anything on the z axis since it hits the bearing block if you have a problem. I only ask since mine has crashed a couple times since I had a problem with my sensor not being set up correctly in my software.

I was freaking out because my drive didn’t fault and it hit the bearing block and it looks like it’s made of plastic, I thought for sure it was crushed.

Hopefully nothing got tweeked. The stop seems like it should be hitting the aluminum plate instead also it should either be centered or have one on each side of the ballsrew. Any way mine seems like it’s ok but I was just wondering if anyone else messed up and crashed their z axis.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Also David have you had any issues with the hard stop messing up anything on the z axis since it hits the bearing block if you have a problem. I only ask since mine has crashed a couple times since I had a problem with my sensor not being set up correctly in my software.

Dan
    No sir, I bumped it pretty hard the one time I bypassed the limit to move Z off the sensor and went the wrong way, which also crushed the sensor. Except for that one time I've never hit the bumpers other than to lightly touch them to check travel.

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! That sure seems a lot better.

Tim

Tim,

You may want to consider using a dial indicator to check/fine tune your steps per unit on Z. On my present machine (I have a Saturn 2 on order) I have an ACME screw on Z - not the much better ball screw you have. I did the math, and got the number of Steps Per Unit I should use. When I used a dial indicator Z, I found the number I should use was different by about 11 steps. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the distance variation, but I think it was around .002". Not big difference, but easy enough to fix. I have a stupidly simple EXCEL spreadsheet that does the calculations from starting steps per to new steps per. I'd be glad to share it, if someone can tell me how to paste or upload it into a message.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Tim,

You may want to consider using a dial indicator to check/fine tune your steps per unit on Z. On my present machine (I have a Saturn 2 on order) I have an ACME screw on Z - not the much better ball screw you have. I did the math, and got the number of Steps Per Unit I should use. When I used a dial indicator Z, I found the number I should use was different by about 11 steps. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the distance variation, but I think it was around .002". Not big difference, but easy enough to fix. I have a stupidly simple EXCEL spreadsheet that does the calculations from starting steps per to new steps per. I'd be glad to share it, if someone can tell me how to paste or upload it into a message.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

I'll take any help I can get learning this stuff about setting up a CNC machine. I'll PM you with my email and you can send me the spreadsheet if you don't mind.

Thanks,
    Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Tim,

Gary
    I don't recall if you're using Mach4 (or 3) but there's a wizard in Mach4 that does the steps per unit calculations for you. I also wrote a spreadsheet for my first time of calibrating but didn't realize at the time that the one in Mach4 existed.

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    I don't recall if you're using Mach4 (or 3) but there's a wizard in Mach4 that does the steps per unit calculations for you. I also wrote a spreadsheet for my first time of calibrating but didn't realize at the time that the one in Mach4 existed.

David

Thanks, David. I used to run Mach3, but I've been running Mach4 since the Mach3 stopped running after a Windows update. They came up with a patch, but It seemed like a good time to make the transition. I like Mach4 sooooo much better.

I was never a fan of the way the Mach3 handled steps calibration, so I made up a spreadsheet and stuck with it. I didn't bother looking in Mach4. I wish I had. The Mach4 wizard looks promising. I especially like that it allows you to set the velocity. I tend to run on the slower side when calibrating. Thank you for putting me onto it.

On a different, but very loosely related, topic are you familiar with the Shuttle Pro Plugin that's preinstalled in Mach4? When running Mach3, I was able to use a joystick as a sort of MPG. It was great. Unfortunately, Mach4 doesn't support joysticks. I believe some folks have been working on it, but with at least one it helps if you can edit some of the code. I'm not interested in taking that on. The lack of support for a joystick is one aspect of Mach4 that doesn't thrill me much. Then, I ran across the Shuttle Pro plugin. The Shuttle Pro operates more like an MPG than a joystick. In some respects I like the Shuttle better than a joystick, in others, no so much. If your not familiar with the Shuttle Pro, here are a couple of links:

https://www.amazon.com/Contour-Desig...ds=shuttle+pro

https://www.contourdesign.com/product/shuttlepro-v2/

At the Contour Design site, you can get updated drivers. You can also find several videos on youtube, but they address the Shuttle in the context of audio/video editing tool. I believe that's what it was originally designed for. Also, note that there are two wheels. A silver inner wheel, and a black collar surrounding the silver wheel. The black ring give more a more gross, faster movement. The silver wheel gives much slower, fine movement. How fine depends upon your settings under the Mach4 "jogging" tab. Pretty cool, but I wish it was wireless.

If it turns out you are already familiar with the Shuttle Pro . . . ah . . . well . . . never mind then.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

No, Gary, I wasn't familiar with the Shuttle Pro - thanks! I just use the mouse on the buttons in Mach4 and it serves me ok. When I was building the CNC I bought a Logitech F710 wireless controller before I realized there was no way to make it work in Mach4. There may be now but I haven't checked. I can see where it would come in handy from time to time but since my computer and keyboard is so close to the CNC I doubt I would use the wireless controller much even if I did get it to work with Mach4.

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry I don't trust wireless game controllers with my fingers and more this is what I have>vistaCNC

consumer grade wireless, no thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry I don't trust wireless game controllers with my fingers and more this is what I have>vistaCNC

consumer grade wireless, no thanks.
    Which one do you use?

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Which one do you use?

Tim
    This one, and yes its USB > vistaCNC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z axis settings-picture-009-jpg