Digitizing Probe and Software

Thread: Digitizing Probe and Software

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Digitizing Probe and Software

I have a probe ordered and I know Mach3 has a Wizard for it, and there are a couple of software programs to either create a point cloud or a G code file. Either of those files could be used to create a STL file.

Has anyone done this and could recommend a software program?

Similar Threads:
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I have a probe ordered and I know Mach3 has a Wizard for it, and there are a couple of software programs to either create a point cloud or a G code file. Either of those files could be used to create a STL file.

You had mentioned in the other post that you were interested in the Centroid Acorn, they have a digitizing bundle if you decide to switch controllers. I didn’t get it because it’s $399 vs the $139 for the standard software since I don’t have a probe which the sell as well and a google search shows its $1590. So with all that said I think that for the price if I personally was to get anything for reverse engineering I would get a scanner since that’s what most design firms use anyway, at least the ones I’ve used. I can give you a referral for a firm if you have a project you need done right away.

I think the spindle mount ones work well for things like engine building for example probing a cylinder head. I just would hate to see you waisting your money since from everything I know about digitizing is to do it properly the equipment is very expensive.

FYI if you’re just using the probe for material location, the standard Centroid CNC12 mill pro version does that and you can use any probe you like, you don’t have to buy theirs. It just doesn’t do digitizing and output a cad/cam file unless you get the digitizing bundle.

But as far as your original question, I don’t use Mach3/4 so I have no idea of a stand alone program that would work with it. I’m sure they exist, but I don’t know how well they work or how accurate they are. From what I’ve heard from some plasma guys is they don’t work very well and take forever to do a part. I’m not trying to discourage you from trying it since it’s something I was interested in as well, but from what I’ve read about it I wasn’t willing to roll the dice and possibly waist a lot of money.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Digitizing Probe and Software

Thanks Dan, I had one in the past maybe 10 years ago for my DeskCNC software and controller and it was a kludge. The one I have ordered now is only $120 shipped from Wild Horse Innovations and I read some posts here on the Zone it was ok, vs the $1500 one. My concern Now after I placed an order last night is they are either out of business or don't ship orders. At least my CNC Router Parts control system comes pre wired to a jack for a probe.
    I saw a post over on Sawmill Creek where someone was asked to CNC router some wooden chair seats carved out for seat area. Apparently there is a service online that does 3D scanning. But the pricing seems to be a big secret. So you would need to send them the part to be scanned and pay for the 3D scanning and then pay the return shipping. Frankly if the probe could do that scan in the shop granted not to .001 but to say .01 or even .1 of an inch I think that would work. I have a program that converts a g code file into a visible image that can be Saved As or Exported to a STL. The STL on the sample I made went right into VCarve Pro.
    I also have a CAD program that will take a STL or Point Cloud from the probe scan.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can probe with the G31 in the mach3/4 and UCCNC. And you can store and save the values into file using the m40 and m41 macros.
    It is just a point array file. If you want to make an stl you still need some kind of other software which has strategies to build an stl model, because a point array file contains not enough informations to do that. An stl is a 3D model built from triangles and how those points will build the triangles depends on what you want to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dan, I had one in the past maybe 10 years ago for my DeskCNC software and controller and it was a kludge. The one I have ordered now is only $120 shipped from Wild Horse Innovations and I read some posts here on the Zone it was ok, vs the $1500 one. My concern Now after I placed an order last night is they are either out of business or don't ship orders. At least my CNC Router Parts control system comes pre wired to a jack for a probe.
    I saw a post over on Sawmill Creek where someone was asked to CNC router some wooden chair seats carved out for seat area. Apparently there is a service online that does 3D scanning. But the pricing seems to be a big secret. So you would need to send them the part to be scanned and pay for the 3D scanning and then pay the return shipping. Frankly if the probe could do that scan in the shop granted not to .001 but to say .01 or even .1 of an inch I think that would work. I have a program that converts a g code file into a visible image that can be Saved As or Exported to a STL. The STL on the sample I made went right into VCarve Pro.
    I also have a CAD program that will take a STL or Point Cloud from the probe scan.
    The guys I used to scan my last project granted it was years ago that I needed something scanned, were in Visalia Ca. They did work for aero space companies including NASA. Very expensive if I remember correctly it was over $1000 for a part that was maybe 4x6x8”. The files we received were iges, sla, stl and I believe dwg as well. Like I said it was a long time ago but it worked perfectly and my designer was able to import the file straight into Solidworks smooth out the surfaces and do the cam work in Mastercam. The parts machined perfectly and ultimately forging dies were made from the scanning and we sold thousands of units of the product. Very expensive and time consuming but for mass production it was worth it.

I’d be curious to see how far this technology has come since the last time I used it was over 10 years ago. Back then we had to pay $300 dollars to get a sla part printed. Now a days you can buy a 3D printer for that. Got to love technology advances.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

It is not only a question of money or if they working for Nasa or anybody else. , but what and how you want to do. What your application is. If it is a simple surface scan then placing the triangles on the points to get an stl is simple. But if you have for example a complex geometry probed from different sides and angles etc. then your software have to be told what to do with that file, how to surface those points, because there is often infinate solutions otherwise where the geometry in the stl will differ.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    It is not only a question of money or if they working for Nasa or anybody else. , but what and how you want to do. What your application is. If it is a simple surface scan then placing the triangles on the points to get an stl is simple. But if you have for example a complex geometry probed from different sides and angles etc. then your software have to be told what to do with that file, how to surface those points, because there is often infinate solutions otherwise where the geometry in the stl will differ.
    That was my point, scanning is the best way to go for complex parts or parts that a probe can’t reach. I also have no idea what he is trying to digitize.

I was just sharing my professional experience with prototyping and product development. The company I used for the digitizing was pretty big and just happened to have some big name clients. At the time they were the only company close enough for me to drive to. I honestly didn’t care if they scanned parts for NASA or for sex toys (which they did do as well and you’re welcome for the visual lol). The point was that they got the job done and it went into production.

In my opinion probing is not the most efficient way of digitizing a true 3D part and is primarily used in the automotive industry. Often used in engine building and usually for cylinder heads around the valve train for measuring cc for porting and for measuring cylinder wall bores on engine blocks basically all the head surfaces. The shop that did some some cylinder head work for my motorcycle I built had a line of high performance VW and Porsche heads he manufactured and sold had a probe for his 5 axis HASS.

My point is I honestly don’t think many people use a rack and pinion router for digitizing products with much success. From what I’ve seen, probe digitizing is primarily done on a 4 or 5 axis VMC and used for high precision applications on high precision mills with integrated software. Now using a probe on a router for edge finding and height detection that’s a different story. I’m very interested in getting one for job setups and for simple things like measuring hole locations on parts, simple things like that.

I was just trying to potentially save him some money and potential headaches of it not working as advertised. If it works let me know I’d be interested in using it down the road.

With that said I’m sure if accuracy and time aren’t a concern and the part is 2D/2.5D than using a router probe will probably work and just take a very long time from what I’ve heard. I’m not sure how much faster it would be than just drawing it up from scratch.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the Econo Probe ordered from Wild Horse Innovations $119 to my door. I will try the Wizards in Mach3 first or I may use this>Probe-It! Mach3 Wizard – Crafty CNC

Of course I will need to order a cable with the ends from CNCParts so it will plug into my control panel.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the Econo Probe ordered from Wild Horse Innovations $119 to my door. I will try the Wizards in Mach3 first or I may use this>Probe-It! Mach3 Wizard – Crafty CNC

Of course I will need to order a cable with the ends from CNCParts so it will plug into my control panel.
    So nothing heard from Wild Horse Innovations, other than 12 days ago they ran my PayPal. So are they still in business?

Never mind, I just filed a complaint with PayPal.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 10-29-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just need to wrap this up before I go. Nothing ever heard back from Wild Horse Innovations, and did get my refund from PayPal today. Let the buyer beware of a fine, good company gone down the tube and its a shame.