Log Carving with the Saturn 2

Thread: Log Carving with the Saturn 2

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Log Carving with the Saturn 2

Only try this with a machine with enough Z clearance, NEMA 34 motors and at least a 2 1/2 Hp spindle or router. I used a 1/2 inch 13 mm bit and took just a .2 deep cut to make level about 1 inch or 25 mm taken off.

The Bear is from Design & Make collection, VCarve Pro 9.5.

Bear was done with 1/4 inch 6 mm Roughing and 1/8 inch 3 mm ball nose bit for Finish. Did not take that long.

Did not turn out that well, wood was stringy and hard to get a good finish on, but I am just trying the concept.

Can't seem to arrange the pictures in the correct order??

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Log Carving with the Saturn 2-img_3215-jpg   Log Carving with the Saturn 2-img_3212-jpg   Log Carving with the Saturn 2-img_3214-jpg  
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 09-25-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Log Carving with the Saturn 2

Cool idea! I have taken pretty heavy cuts (about 1/4" depth) with a 1/2 spiral bit at around 200IPM cutting hard maple or cherry using a 2.2kw air cooled spindle. The machine barely got warm after 30 minutes of cutting (roughing out a 12" diameter, 3" deep bowl). I think the machine can take more. I was more worried that the wood would chip out more than would be removed on my finishing pass.